The Race to the Bottom is ongoing

john luke

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Das Berliner for my schnitezl. Few steps walk from the hotel, qualtiy nice clean AC. Worth the few baht xtra than making the walk to somewhere cheaper.

Many folks only look at the price and don't input the other factors.

You ain't kidding!

I've been there before and the schnitzel is great, about as good as any German place I ate at when stationed in West Germany in the 80's. That spot and The Sportsman are two very good places for a quality meal at a reasonable price IMHO.

I normally eat twice a day when in Pattaya, so if I spend a bit more for a solid western meal, I'll make up for it with spending much less eating Thai food, such as a noodle soup or fried rice dish from a street cart.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, tommy dee said:

99 BAHT DINNERS

are a great deal for customers, but lets look at it clearly.  any bar doing this type of meal is running its kitchen for a different reason to a restaurant or cafe.  its not budgeting any profit to come from the food.  the idea is simply that if you buy fod, they will sell you drink, and so they get to sell drink they wouldnt otherwise sell, have customers and  hopefully keep them.    

thats great, so its like giving green shield stamps to get buyers in.  but it makes it  impossible for ccafes and diners to compete or make any money

I was just about to add something on a similar theme, the whole deal is to get people in. Could be a loss leader but they are not looking to make an absolute profit or stay in business with what is on a black board outside their establishment.

• Like 1

20190727-IMG_5403.jpg

The lady is a distraction, but the question I would raise here is what is meant by fish?  There are many types of fish.

Tommy Dee's suggestion of using the food as a loss leader does have merit, however I do not see evidence of customers staying on after completing their meal in order to drink.

5 minutes ago, john luke said:

Tommy Dee's suggestion of using the food as a loss leader does have merit, however I do not see evidence of customers staying on after completing their meal in order to drink.

I think same. The kind of customer you will get is likely the cheap charlie bargain hunter, he came for the cheap food, and for the beer will move to the cheapest beer bar IMHO.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

You ain't kidding!

I've been there before and the schnitzel is great, about as good as any German place I ate at when stationed in West Germany in the 80's. That spot and The Sportsman are two very good places for a quality meal at a reasonable price IMHO.

I normally eat twice a day when in Pattaya, so if I spend a bit more for a solid western meal, I'll make up for it with spending much less eating Thai food, such as a noodle soup or fried rice dish from a street cart.

Yep. Never had a bad meal in there.

Always quiet with comfortable tables and friendly staff, great menu too.

9 hours ago, john luke said:

20190727-IMG_5403.jpg

The lady is a distraction, but the question I would raise here is what is meant by fish?  There are many types of fish.

Thought it might have been one of those many restaurants that see guys sitting there all day drinking while watching the world go by or taking loads of photos of passing motorbike riders lol

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Thought it might have been one of those many restaurants that see guys sitting there all day drinking while watching the world go by or taking loads of photos of passing motorbike riders lol

No - It would only be a suitable venue for this if there was no direct sun light.

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

Wrong side of the road then lol

Yes - until sometime around 1600 or a bit later.  It does fall outside the criteria for my dining establishments.  On the same topic however almost directly opposite Beer ? (circular building whose name I temporarily can not remember) does a great orange juice and is on the correct side of the road.  The orange is 89 baht though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many small businesses fail because they set prices too low.  They simply can't generate enough revenue to cover expenses.  The budget end of the market is extremely tough.   Customers are very fickle.  They'll take advantage of the special prices on food, but will drink in a bar where bottled beer is five baht cheaper.  

And it's a fact of life that you can't make money in Pattaya by selling meals for 99 baht unless the quality is abysmal.  

Evil

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, misteregg said:

Evil Penival is correct. It’s impossible to make money on cheap Western food in this town. Customers have zero loyalty, they will just go to eat in the next place thats cheaper.

The bottom tend to use the bottom.

The bottom have only one loyalty,and that’s the cash.

Bottomfeeders.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Washedup said:

The bottom middle and top feeders are now a endangered species..western currencies in free fall..only the elite feeders can still feed in los 

I think bottom feeders will always find somewhere cheaper to eat that will make them survive, they actually survive on very little.

Middle feeders will still go if they really want to because they can still probably afford it but will moan like crazy.  Top feeders may only notice the difference in the numbers around them.

Elite feeders just live in the outskirts, rarely hit town with the normal people and take their holidays outside of Thailand. 

There are still many Europeans who haven't really noticed such a decline as the Brits.

Senders also may start to budget.

4 minutes ago, Washedup said:

Its going to get real messy, i thank my lucky stars im not in los or have any flights booked..unless 7/11 start doing rooms above the shop with free breakfast, i aint going back 

The ham cheese toasties are pretty good.

• Great Info 1