Type 2 diabetes.

Krapow

I was having big problems about 15 years ago, mostly with eyes and constant thirst, I was able to mostly fix things by switching from sugary soda to diet soda.  Now my A1C is creeping back up with me getting older.  It's climbed up to about 8 after hovering around 6 for years, they are taking about putting me on some more expensive drugs ($75/ month with insurance) to lower it.  I'm due to a physical soon, having missed last year's due to covid where I will consider them again.  I'm taking Glipizide now.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rambone said:

I was having big problems about 15 years ago, mostly with eyes and constant thirst, I was able to mostly fix things by switching from sugary soda to diet soda.  Now my A1C is creeping back up with me getting older.  It's climbed up to about 8 after hovering around 6 for years, they are taking about putting me on some more expensive drugs ($75/ month with insurance) to lower it.  I'm due to a physical soon, having missed last year's due to covid where I will consider them again.  I'm taking Glipizide now.

Same issue. I think hidden sugar in so many foods is a real issue. I have been given metformin, which manages sugar and enables weight loss. Should help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 5:39 PM, Krapow said:

Very common now, do you or anyone you know have it?

Do you know it is reversible, with a change of diet and exercise/losing weight?

Diet and exercise can help with so many things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495384

ZERO sugar and GRAINS.. diaetes2 reversals have been documented in ONE WEEK. Grains? Doesn't the'Healthy Eating' advice advise to stuff ourselves with grains all day? Sure, but their calories, cholesterol, food groups and pyramid, and RDAs are outdated and proven nonsensical  theories.  

The  Food Pyramid is heavily biased towards starches and heavily against FAT and meat. Hence, the current crisis we are in. The Food Pyramid was published in the Public School science books about the same time GMO's were made legal for human consumption!! Yet 

All grains are high in lectin plant phenols, chemicals that desensitize cell membranes to insulin, causing insulin over production. Grains are also high in leptin plant hormones that interrupt signaling between the liver and pancreas, causing insulin disruptions. These 2 cause obesity and diabetes2.

Wheat and most other grains raise blood sugar.  A slice of organic whole wheat bread raises blood sugar more than a candy bar.

Grains are high in carbs that fatten. Digested carbs 1st top-up muscle and liver glycogen, stored sugar. The rest is rapidly converted to bodyfat in the cells' mitochondria via the Krebs cycle. Digested fat only slowly converts to useable energy molecules in the liver.

Grains raise  artery-calcifying tri-glycerides, are  high in phytates that block calcium and iron absorption. White flour has residual chlorine from  bleaching that depletes immune-boosting body-stores of  selenium.
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tommaso_Turek said:

ZERO sugar and GRAINS.. diaetes2 reversals have been documented in ONE WEEK. Grains? Doesn't the'Healthy Eating' advice advise to stuff ourselves with grains all day? Sure, but their calories, cholesterol, food groups and pyramid, and RDAs are outdated and proven nonsensical  theories.  

The  Food Pyramid is heavily biased towards starches and heavily against FAT and meat. Hence, the current crisis we are in. The Food Pyramid was published in the Public School science books about the same time GMO's were made legal for human consumption!! Yet 

All grains are high in lectin plant phenols, chemicals that desensitize cell membranes to insulin, causing insulin over production. Grains are also high in leptin plant hormones that interrupt signaling between the liver and pancreas, causing insulin disruptions. These 2 cause obesity and diabetes2.

Wheat and most other grains raise blood sugar.  A slice of organic whole wheat bread raises blood sugar more than a candy bar.

Grains are high in carbs that fatten. Digested carbs 1st top-up muscle and liver glycogen, stored sugar. The rest is rapidly converted to bodyfat in the cells' mitochondria via the Krebs cycle. Digested fat only slowly converts to useable energy molecules in the liver.

Grains raise  artery-calcifying tri-glycerides, are  high in phytates that block calcium and iron absorption. White flour has residual chlorine from  bleaching that depletes immune-boosting body-stores of  selenium.

Or alternatively, just eat less and exercise more.

Rocket science it isn't! :whistle:

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I have lost 26kgs and now down to 105kgs. My doctor wants me to get down to 80kgs before she will try taking me off the medication. I can't see 80kgs being a realistic goal.

I have given up drinking beer and have stuck to vodka and soda water. I have set a goal of when I reach 100kgs that Saturday will be beer day. I miss my draught beer.

You’ve done brilliantly, well done. You’ve lost 20% of your old body weight so that’s to be applauded- I’m not a doctor but 80kg is quite low ( comparatively) so I share your view about the doctors aspirations being optimistic - 

Caveat - everyone is different so she maybe correct 

Good luck 

• Thumbs Up 1

80 kg may be right it depends on your height. I'm 6'2" and my optimum weight is 85 kg. I am 88 kg right now and I started at 130 kg. I have been a diabetic since 0ctober 1999. The biggest shift in my weight was in 2016 when I gave up all alcohol. Any alcohol is basically pure sugar. The best way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Type 2 is one thing I’m hoping to avoid. I’ve only kept off about 1/5 of the weight I ultimately want to lose, but I’m still feeling much better than I was pre-Covid. Last June, I had a crippling pain where the big toe meets the foot. Consensus is it was first gout attack. 16 months later, no 2nd bout yet. But reading some Reddit threads and on here too about gout, how sometimes it can be pure hell, and it’s not always all lifestyle choices, some pretty fit men in their late 20’s can get it too….Scary stuff

So assuming it was gout, any one here can quickly comment on the frequency of attacks they have(had)? 

Sorry for TF

Edited by Golfingboy

Diabetes? Prediabetes?

Take your metformin and live forever...

Metformin: A Hopeful Promise in Aging Research

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772077/

Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop
The more researchers learn about a compound called metformin, the more it seems like a medieval wonder drug poised for a 21st century comeback.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-promises-to-extend-life-for-a-nickel-a-pop/

9 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Type 2 is one thing I’m hoping to avoid. I’ve only kept off about 1/5 of the weight I ultimately want to lose, but I’m still feeling much better than I was pre-Covid. Last June, I had a crippling pain where the big toe meets the foot. Consensus is it was first gout attack. 16 months later, no 2nd bout yet. But reading some Reddit threads and on here too about gout, how sometimes it can be pure hell, and it’s not always all lifestyle choices, some pretty fit men in their late 20’s can get it too….Scary stuff

So assuming it was gout, any one here can quickly comment on the frequency of attacks they have(had)? 

Sorry for TF

I had a few gout attacks when I was younger - in my big toe, the ball of my foot, and worst of all my knee; very painful stuff but then my doctor at the time put me on Allopurinol, one 100mg pill a day which I have been taking ever since and I have not had an attack in the ten years since...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

Diabetes? Prediabetes?

Take your metformin and live forever...

Metformin: A Hopeful Promise in Aging Research

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772077/

Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop
The more researchers learn about a compound called metformin, the more it seems like a medieval wonder drug poised for a 21st century comeback.

https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-promises-to-extend-life-for-a-nickel-a-pop/

I take Metformin daily as well as a weekly Ozempic injection (not insulin).

https://www.ozempic.com/

Ozempic and Trulicity are similar drugs. They assist in weight loss. Lose the weight and the doctor will take you off Ozempic. Get your A1C below 6.0 and they will take off other diabetic meds. The diabetic doctor I worked for said if A1C is 5.4 or greater, you are diabetic. No such thing as pre-diabetic. Diabetes is like being pregnant, you either are or not. I guess pre-pregnancy is foreplay. 

My last blood tests were borderline, so the diabetic nurse told me to have another test in 3 months, but every time I try to book a blood test the surgery say they are out of blood sample bottles and not sure when they will get more  FFS!

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Have now dropped 33kgs and am at 98kgs.

When I was first diagnosed in June my HbA1c reading was 10.3. It is now 5.2. When and if I get down to 90kgs this is when my doctor will start looking at taking me off the medication.

That's awesome,  we'll done.

• Thumbs Up 1