• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
coxyhog

China visa from the UK

A very good mate from my RAF days went to live in China last year with his Chinese missus & we were going to visit them.The two women get on really well & 8th Sept will be the 49th anniversary of us both joining up.

Went online to apply for a visa - fee is £151 for a UK passport holder.£300 on top of flights.

So no trip to China,a great pity as we were going to have a rehearsal for the 50th anniversary piss up next year.

I'm sure we paid a lot less than that price and we downloaded the visa papers filled them in and posted it the Chineses embassy in the UK

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

A very good mate from my RAF days went to live in China last year with his Chinese missus & we were going to visit them.The two women get on really well & 8th Sept will be the 49th anniversary of us both joining up.

Went online to apply for a visa - fee is £151 for a UK passport holder.£300 on top of flights.

So no trip to China,a great pity as we were going to have a rehearsal for the 50th anniversary piss up next year.

Why don't you go to China but then leave via a third country back to the UK, then you can get a TWOV (transit without visa).  This would work if you are only staying in China for up to 144 hours as there are transit visas for 24/72 and 144 hours (each has exceptions and is in relation to where you enter/leave China.

i.e Fly Heathrow to Beijing and then leave China for another SE Asian city such as Bangkok or Singapore en route to Heathrow. Your transit visa is then effective as you are transiting China to go to another country.

Of course if you want to stay in China for a longer trip the paid visa is the only option. https://www.ivisa.com/china-blog/china-visa-for-uk-passport-holders

You probably can do it cheaper than you have mentioned, see the link above.

• Great Info 1

Seems very expensive to me ? I have done a few business trips from France and more recently HKG, and I cant remember the cost being that high ? 

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Why don't you go to China but then leave via a third country back to the UK, then you can get a TWOV (transit without visa).  This would work if you are only staying in China for up to 144 hours as there are transit visas for 24/72 and 144 hours (each has exceptions and is in relation to where you enter/leave China.

i.e Fly Heathrow to Beijing and then leave China for another SE Asian city such as Bangkok or Singapore en route to Heathrow. Your transit visa is then effective as you are transiting China to go to another country.

Of course if you want to stay in China for a longer trip the paid visa is the only option. https://www.ivisa.com/china-blog/china-visa-for-uk-passport-holders

You probably can do it cheaper than you have mentioned, see the link above.

Unfortunately that link is for groups of two or more,the missus was going to go from Thailand,me from the UK.

12 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Unfortunately that link is for groups of two or more,the missus was going to go from Thailand,me from the UK.

OK then just look up TWOV for China. I flew Bangkok to Chengdu and then Chengdu to UK, I had a 72 hour transit without visa on arrival, just needed to confirm my onward flight and show evidence of where I was staying, very easy really.

If your wife is Thai then I think she can not get a TWOV but things may have changed since I last checked. Being a UK citizen you can but you can't just return back to UK from China, you would still need to go via a third country.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

OK then just look up TWOV for China. I flew Bangkok to Chengdu and then Chengdu to UK, I had a 72 hour transit without visa on arrival, just needed to confirm my onward flight and show evidence of where I was staying, very easy really.

If your wife is Thai then I think she can not get a TWOV but things may have changed since I last checked. Being a UK citizen you can but you can't just return back to UK from China, you would still need to go via a third country.

Missus would need the visa in her UK pp,her Thai one expires soon,she's going to renew it when she goes to Thailand next month.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I've given up.Too much hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Missus would need the visa in her UK pp,her Thai one expires soon,she's going to renew it when she goes to Thailand next month.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I've given up.Too much hassle.

Happened to me also, was gonna do a week there on the way to one of my Thailand trips. The visa process was a pain in the arse and they wanted full confirmed bookings of where I was staying etc. Instead of resending the documents in after requesting further info I just gave up, couldn’t be arsed and time was getting a little tight also.

Sign in to follow this