The hood, Robin Hood or Robin Hood Jomtien...?

Lanzalad

12 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

How's the Thai food at the Robin Hood near the Avenue in Patts? Never been there and was wondering if anyone's wife, BF, or poo saau had an opinion. I would of course get farang food there as I have never heard a bad thing about that part of their menu.

My "friend" who knows about these things says it is OK ......Steels have you ever met a Thai woman who says Thai food is great if they have not made it themselves.???

Baw saep (not tasty in Lao) as they always grumble mai phet / phet maak / etc etc

Mostly its good but avoid Sunday carvery unless you like eating shoe leather / buffalo and warthogs ass.

Breakfast are good and they now serve Guinness too .... :default_drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

How's the Thai food at the Robin Hood near the Avenue in Patts? Never been there and was wondering if anyone's wife, BF, or poo saau had an opinion. I would of course get farang food there as I have never heard a bad thing about that part of their menu.

I had a terrible meal there back in March ( after the sale had gone through ) two out of the three orders were bad , ,my Western food ( 1/2 Chicken ) was dry and over cooked and the Thai food ( green curry ) was horrible , TG has one spoon of it .... don't know if it's improved now the ownership has reverted to Retox .. but I won't be returning 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

31 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I had a terrible meal there back in March ( after the sale had gone through ) two out of the three orders were bad , ,my Western food ( 1/2 Chicken ) was dry and over cooked and the Thai food ( green curry ) was horrible , TG has one spoon of it .... don't know if it's improved now the ownership has reverted to Retox .. but I won't be returning 

I have eaten there only once.  I had fish and chips.  The chips were soggy and each chip was very large.  The fish was fried in batter.  The batter was almost sold on the outside and soggy on the inside - consistent with being cooked in fat that was too hot.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Yes only been once and it was busy but service was not good, I still prefer the days of Shenanigans but like many things times change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

haha I remember it as Delaneys and one never to be forgotten night in 1995 ish in there with a freelancer with her own car who thought her shit didnt stink. One of the funniest nights of all time

Edited by RR007

3 minutes ago, RR007 said:

haha I remember it as Delaneys and one never to be forgotten night in 1995 ish in there with a freelancer who thought her shit didnt stink. One of the funniest nights of all time

Now there is a bit of info, must have been there when it was Delaney's as I had been going to Pattaya before the Avenue was even built, I even remember the whole of LK Metro etc when it was just open land with a noodle shop set up right bang in the middle.

Not sure when the Avenue was built but must have been early 90's as i remember taking my wife to the Vientiane for a meal back then before they knocked it down.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Now there is a bit of info, must have been there when it was Delaney's as I had been going to Pattaya before the Avenue was even built, I even remember the whole of LK Metro etc when it was just open land with a noodle shop set up right bang in the middle.

Not sure when the Avenue was built but must have been early 90's as i remember taking my wife to the Vientiane for a meal back then before they knocked it down.

Am sure there was a guy called Kim Fletcher ?? involved. I could be completely wrong with that though might have bit before 1995 as well

1 hour ago, RR007 said:

Am sure there was a guy called Kim Fletcher ?? involved. I could be completely wrong with that though might have bit before 1995 as well

Kim used to be in Shenanigans in Pattaya,also Jamesons.Before that he was in Jools in Bangkok.

He has a place on the dark side now called Fletchers Folly.

https://fletchersfollypattaya.com

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Time for an update.   As the earlier posts in this thread note, the Robin Hood Tavern went through a major crisis in 2019 but seems to have gotten back on track under new management.  I don't know who owns it now,  but a young Belgian chef named Max is involved on the food side and he has totally revamped the menu and food service.  According to a lot of reports,  the dishes there are consistently good now.  I haven't tried it yet and the info below comes from RH's Facebook page.

For those who favor traditional UK pub fare,  the Ploughman's Lunch looks good at 199 baht:

3.jpg

5.jpg

There's also a larger "Big Boy" version at 325 baht:

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

The all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery is popular:

8.jpg

There's also Max's Menu, which goes beyond pub food:

1.jpg

It seems like the Robin Hood Tavern is worth another visit.

Evil

• Great Info 3

From what I have seen, the menu at Robin Hood remains the same as before. At least, when we ate there on Tuesday we were given the original menu....

There is an additional a4 or a5 laminated menu on the table with about the 12 dishes of Max's menu. It's easy to miss... as we did!

The people that were eating items from that menu were visited by the chef to check all was ok.

Last February the gf and I ate there, waited over an hour to be served the wrong dishes, and didnt return. It's now her restaurant of choice... both for eat in and delivery. Major turn around.

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Time for an update.   As the earlier posts in this thread note, the Robin Hood Tavern went through a major crisis in 2019 but seems to have gotten back on track under new management.  I don't know who owns it now,  but a young Belgian chef named Max is involved on the food side and he has totally revamped the menu and food service.  According to a lot of reports,  the dishes there are consistently good now.  I haven't tried it yet and the info below comes from RH's Facebook page.

For those who favor traditional UK pub fare,  the Ploughman's Lunch looks good at 199 baht:

3.jpg

5.jpg

There's also a larger "Big Boy" version at 325 baht:

2.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

The all-you-can-eat Sunday carvery is popular:

8.jpg

There's also Max's Menu, which goes beyond pub food:

1.jpg

It seems like the Robin Hood Tavern is worth another visit.

Evil

EP

NDTV,

did a blog on the chef a week ago and thev food looked great,the two blokes was all raves about it, Nick did say he got it for free don't know if the two other blokes was free also

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Thumbs Up 1

The ordinary Ploughman's looks excellent, my only worry would be if would be too much food for me at a lunchtime. I struggle to eat in the Patts heat and tend to go very light for lunch, most times won't have one.

Amused then to see this on RH's Facebook page "Some of our customers have asked us if we can increase the size of our ploughman’s special.
Well we have listened.
Here we have the Big Boys ploughman’s lunch which we are running alongside our standard 199 plate."

Guess these guys are reading of Mr Penevil's " How to lose weight in Pattaya" blog🤔🤔

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

The ordinary Ploughman's looks excellent, my only worry would be if would be too much food for me at a lunchtime. I struggle to eat in the Patts heat and tend to go very light for lunch, most times won't have one.

Amused then to see this on RH's Facebook page "Some of our customers have asked us if we can increase the size of our ploughman’s special.
Well we have listened.
Here we have the Big Boys ploughman’s lunch which we are running alongside our standard 199 plate."

Guess these guys are reading of Mr Penevil's " How to lose weight in Pattaya" blog🤔🤔

I thought the same, the standard Ploughmans would be plenty for me, looks scrummy imo.

34 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I read a customer's post  on the RH Facebook page that said there was no problem taking home what he couldn't eat.

37 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Well we have listened.

Those guys must have one hell of an appetite and major stomach capacity. There's really a lot of food on the Big Boy plate. Of course, if the customer plans on taking half of it home with him, it would make sense.

Evil

• Thumbs Up 2

I usually have my main meal of the day in the evening but, yesterday, I'd had a bite to eat in the afternoon, so was looking for just something light in the evening.

I was walking through The Avenue and noticed this blackboard from The Robin Hood Tavern, and thought the Lite Bite Special might be what I was looking for.

20191206_220258a.jpg

Unfortunately, the menus I was given did not include the food on the blackboard - a point management needs to address. However, the waitress knew what I was talking about, and the order was duly placed.

It arrived in a reasonable time, and was delicious. I'd go as far as to say it was the tastiest food I've had in a long while. The prawns were fresh and juicy, and the sauce was soooooo good.

20191206_212923.jpg

I shall be returning!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Today I tried one of the Saturday specials,  the Philly cheesesteak at 199 baht.  Here's the pic from RH's Facebook page:

phillya.jpg.116b28ff0ab0e63e567fa1b7cdfa2281.jpg

It looked very similar to what I got on my plate, although maybe the portion was somewhat smaller.  It was even the waitress in the pic who served me.

IMG_20191207_133551_1-1.jpg.f1c9867d322d945c1876801d6a6a277a.jpg

According to the RH Facebook page,  the sandwich  consists of "Slow roasted topside of beef, sautéed green peppers and onions, melted cheddar cheese, garlic mayo, toasted baguette," with a side of "French fries or sweet potato fries."

A Philadelphia-born cheesesteak purist wouldn't approve, but the Robin Hood's sandwich was close to some cheesesteak variations that are served in Philly.  And most importantly, it tasted good.  The beef was tender and full of flavor.  The baguette was fresh and properly toasted.  The fries were crispy.  No complaints on my part, especially when it cost 199 baht.

One curious thing:  the cheesesteak  special wasn't on the menu, nor did I see it on a sign inside the restaurant.  If I hadn't read about it on the RH Facebook page, I wouldn't have known it was on offer.

I'll be back to try more of the Robin Hood menu.

Evil

For reference, this is what a Philly cheesesteak without Cheez Wiz and green pepper slices looks like in the U.S.  The cheese is provolone. The pic is from the Internet.

Philly-CheeseSte.jpg