Another Wacko With An AR

13 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

If they gave a f**k they would demonstrate massively for gun control, not for the protection of some old cowboy era rule.... And gun control mean ZERO guns, except for law enforcement (and even for those it remains a question...)

I agree, its not the gun that kills but the people. So, explain me why 2 other countries with a huge gun ownership (Switzerland and Israel) don't have this problem ? Different state of mind (gently expressed...)

ALL, I mean ALL the civilized countries in the world look at this mayhem shaking their head, or smiling depending on their mood.

Me, I dont give a shit TBH, its your country, your rules. Don't come crying everytime it happens, it is of your making.

Amen. 

Many of us are trying very hard to change that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, MrDK said:

I always find interesting, if not amusing, when laws pertaining to the US constitution bring to the front people from outside the US suggesting "just change the law".
Headcount means nothing, electoral college means nothing and a president cannot sign an amendment in to law and not can he veto it.
How about a super majority in both legislative branches in the federal government (or by state convention) to even bring a constitutional amendment or repeal on the table.
The federal government cannot repeal, change of amend the constitution.
I takes 75% of the several states to ratify any change... again no headcount.
It certainly is possible to change the constitution, it is even possible to change it to headcount on a ballot for people to vote on is all it takes.
It is all outlined in article 5 of the constitution as to how it can be done.
SIMPLE!

PS: I am pro gun control

BTW: it is heading the wrong direction.

DLFSAlJ.gif

I always find interesting, if not amusing, when laws pertaining to the US constitution bring to the front people from outside the US suggesting "just change the law".

As much as I commend your pro gun control view you shouldn't find it amusing that people from outside the USA have views of shock and horror when they see the constant tragedies of mass shootings.

We just live in a different world to yours and maybe we just can't understand how it can be in this day and age that we see in our news the horrors of what appear to be regular (it seems) occurrences of misuse of guns.

We all talk about what takes place in Thailand and what we would do to change things as if we have a right to show case what should be done, we believe we are right in our views and believe many suggested themes would improve the lot of the people and that of expats.  We Brits throw our views and observations at you but it doesn't mean we are right, it is just a view.

It is just common for people looking in, very often via media outlets, to be surprised as to what we may consider unacceptable behaviour and to have suggestions of betterment.

I think most members here are not laughing at what takes place although there are exceptions and those members should really refrain from making jokes and flippant comments about the serious incidents that have taken place.

I suppose most though do think that if there really was the desire to do something that would curb all these tragedies then why isn't it being done. There is nothing wrong with that view and I am sure it will continue as long as mass shootings take place.

I suppose we don't need to be bombarded with stats and graphs, we just believe that with the will of the people, Trump and Congress why is it that something isn't being done; for us it appears simple but then again our own politicians (in the UK) can't do what the the people asked of them 3 years ago.

Think we will be discussing this topic till all the forums have died off.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 6

I find it interesting, if not amusing, when Americans throw out constitutional reasons as being behind them keeping their medieval approach to gun laws.

They then have the afront to appear shocked when the rest of world laughs at them.  You couldn't make it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Horizondave said:

As much as I commend your pro gun control view you shouldn't find it amusing that people from outside the USA have views of shock and horror when they see the constant tragedies of mass shootings.

We just live in a different world to yours and maybe we just can't understand how it can be in this day and age that we see in our news the horrors of what appear to be regular (it seems) occurrences of misuse of guns.

We all talk about what takes place in Thailand and what we would do to change things as if we have a right to show case what should be done, we believe we are right in our views and believe many suggested themes would improve the lot of the people and that of expats.  We Brits throw our views and observations at you but it doesn't mean we are right, it is just a view.

It is just common for people looking in, very often via media outlets, to be surprised as to what we may consider unacceptable behaviour and to have suggestions of betterment.

I think most members here are not laughing at what takes place although there are exceptions and those members should really refrain from making jokes and flippant comments about the serious incidents that have taken place.

I suppose most though do think that if there really was the desire to do something that would curb all these tragedies then why isn't it being done. There is nothing wrong with that view and I am sure it will continue as long as mass shootings take place.

I suppose we don't need to be bombarded with stats and graphs, we just believe that with the will of the people, Trump and Congress why is it that something isn't being done; for us it appears simple but then again our own politicians (in the UK) can't do what the the people asked of them 3 years ago.

Think we will be discussing this topic till all the forums have died off.

Either I did not express myself well or you misunderstood.
We both can agree on the shock and horror aspect of every such even, hence I made no comment addressing the event itself.
Like you I (presumably) am on the same wavelength as most Americans as well as most outside USA.
NO, I do NOT find any killing amusing. I do find the (thinking) indebt knowledge of the constitution amusing and this is where "right to bear arms" is written.
You mention Trump and congress and I said there is NOTHING they can do in rewriting the constitution, which is well documented in article V of the very document. It is a state matter.
Don't get side tracked in thinking it is a matter of a vote in congress or something where the president has a voice,
Again I was NOT laughing about this event not any other and also I mentioned that I personally am in favor of gun control.
I hope I expressed myself a little better this time.

16 minutes ago, MrDK said:

We both can agree on the shock and horror aspect of every such even, hence I made no comment addressing the event itself.
Like you I (presumably) am on the same wavelength as most Americans as well as most outside USA.
NO, I do NOT find any killing amusing. I do find the (thinking) indebt knowledge of the constitution amusing and this is where "right to bear arms" is written.
You mention Trump and congress and I said there is NOTHING they can do in rewriting the constitution, which is well documented in article V of the very document. It is a state matter.
Don't get side tracked in thinking it is a matter of a vote in congress or something where the president has a voice,
Again I was NOT laughing about this event not any other and also I mentioned that I personally am in favor of gun control.

The President could show leadership , bring in universal background checks , bans on assault weapons , make it extremely difficult to get guns etc .etc . instead of offering "thought and prayers"  and threatening to veto any restrictions the House manage to get through ... but he won't 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Stillearly said:

The President could show leadership , bring in universal background checks , bans on assault weapons , make it extremely difficult to get guns etc .etc . instead of offering "thought and prayers"  and threatening to veto any restrictions the House manage to get through ... but he won't 

But he was going to do something.

Trump referred to ‘gun violence’ in his Parkland remembrance. Hours later, he changed it to ‘school violence.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/14/trumps-lengthy-parkland-shooting-remembrance-doesnt-meaningfully-mention-guns/?utm_term=.7b25aedcd902

12 hours ago, MrDK said:

Yes you did better this time.

I still say though that if there is a will and desire to change the law then all the stating of existing legislation, state laws and articles etc should mean nothing compared to the overriding belief that something needs to be done and that starts at the top of the chain in the Whitehouse.

I remember reading a very good article about the interpretation of the 'right to bear arms' and the fact that it really applied to militias protecting the people and not Johnny Nofriends going out and buying a gun to massacre groups of innocent bystanders.

I am just a Brit though that will look incredulously in on occasions when this will happen again.

Just reminds me of a post by a guy on another forum who was shocked and disturbed that I was able to go to my supermarket without a gun for protection. I am still amazed by that shock he described.

We just have different views but governed mainly by our differing laws.

Anyhow this thread needs not to get sidetracked by a Brit's view on gun control, that is for yourselves and your compatriots to deal with, we are just voyeurs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This US obsession with weapons is absolutely incomprehensible for the rest of the civilized world. 

The problem has nothing to do with laws, but with the peoples brain. As as long as American dads will be proud to show their guns, organize shooting BBQs, and teach their kids how to use guns and be a "real man"  it will never stop.  The brainwashing in this situation is not done by a government but by one generation to another.

But as I have read / heard often, how can we silly Europeans know what it is to be a real man and patriot.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is about a 40 minute drive from where I live. Used to go to the yearly Garlic Festival and had a blast back in the 90's. 

Gun control?  There is alot of improvement needed....I get the constitution etc, but at some point, we have to look ourselves in the mirror and say maybe we do need to re-visit the constitution. I know, a tough nut to swallow, but a 6 year old, 13 year old and 25 year old gone this time around.

Bought legally in Nevada and taken to Calif to do his deed......sad indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:39 AM, Horizondave said:

I still say though that if there is a will and desire to change the law then all the stating of existing legislation, state laws and articles etc should mean nothing compared to the overriding belief that something needs to be done and that starts at the top of the chain in the Whitehouse.

Oh lord....  If you had any idea how that sounds.  I'll bet more people die in pub-brawls in the UK than die in mass-shootings in the US, so if you don't mind, we'll avoid throwing our entire system of government in the trash. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I don't have any problem whatsoever with a well regulated militia, but I do have a serious problem with individual citizens going rogue.

Apart from that, I will uphold "The Right To Arm Bears".

Edited by Freee!!
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, alias said:

Oh lord....  If you had any idea how that sounds.  I'll bet more people die in pub-brawls in the UK than die in mass-shootings in the US, so if you don't mind, we'll avoid throwing our entire system of government in the trash. 

Why you getting bent out of shape.  It is just a view from a Brit looking in like many Europeans looking in with incredulity at what takes place in the USA seemingly on a regular basis where guns are used to kill by people who seem to have easy access to them.

Seems there are plenty of people who wish to see gun control and every time there is a mass shooting enough people come out of the woodwork and want your politicians to do something.

If you are saying nothing can be done then it will just have to be prayers for the victims.

Mate, your country but silly comment to equate pub brawls with mass shootings, doesn't make either right but mass shootings seem to garner more column inches than a street brawl.

As it is creating an issue for you to hear other's views (whether right or wrong or out of the box) I will refrain from replying again within this thread  

48 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Why you getting bent out of shape.  It is just a view from a Brit looking in like many Europeans looking in with incredulity at what takes place in the USA seemingly on a regular basis where guns are used to kill by people who seem to have easy access to them.

Seems there are plenty of people who wish to see gun control and every time there is a mass shooting enough people come out of the woodwork and want your politicians to do something.

If you are saying nothing can be done then it will just have to be prayers for the victims.

Mate, your country but silly comment to equate pub brawls with mass shootings, doesn't make either right but mass shootings seem to garner more column inches than a street brawl.

As it is creating an issue for you to hear other's views (whether right or wrong or out of the box) I will refrain from replying again within this thread  

First, nobody is "bent out of shape".

Second, most of us Americans are aware of your (Europe's) condescending paternalism regarding our Constitution and the rights it recognizes.

Third, nobody, least of all me, has said there is nothing that can be done.  What I said was what *you* say should be done is discarding our rights for the sake of convenience and expeditious action.  I, for one, think that's a bad idea.

Fourth, we here in America have seen what happens to a population that can't defend itself against it's own government, and we are reluctant to give up our ability to do so.  We've also seen what happens when a "constitution" is treated as a disposable object.  The rights within soon mean nothing.

Fifth, as noted elsewhere, the Constitution can be changed, and it has been.  The process is not easy.  That is a good thing.

Sixth, the ridiculousness of comparing pub brawls and mass shootings is intentional.  Just because one gets more "column inches" than the other doesn't mean we have to surrender our rights to the State.  You certainly wouldn't (or would you?) give up your rights to prevent pub-glassings.

Seventh and finally, your views are as welcome as anybody's.  Share them, but don't expect to do so in a vacuum. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, alias said:

Second, most of us Americans are aware of your (Europe's) condescending paternalism regarding our Constitution and the rights it recognizes.

Third, nobody, least of all me, has said there is nothing that can be done.  What I said was what *you* say should be done is discarding our rights for the sake of convenience and expeditious action.  I, for one, think that's a bad idea.

Fourth, we here in America have seen what happens to a population that can't defend itself against it's own government, and we are reluctant to give up our ability to do so.  We've also seen what happens when a "constitution" is treated as a disposable object.  The rights within soon mean nothing.

Fifth, as noted elsewhere, the Constitution can be changed, and it has been.  The process is not easy.  That is a good thing.

Sixth, the ridiculousness of comparing pub brawls and mass shootings is intentional.  Just because one gets more "column inches" than the other doesn't mean we have to surrender our rights to the State.  You certainly wouldn't (or would you?) give up your rights to prevent pub-glassings.

Seventh and finally, your views are as welcome as anybody's.  Share them, but don't expect to do so in a vacuum. 

Blablabl...

Meanwhile, another good patriot went on another rampage....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-49221936

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Blablabl...

Meanwhile, another good patriot went on another rampage....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-49221936

Seems France has "patriots" as well.  4 days ago...

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190729/french-police-hunt-gunmen-who-killed-three-including-bystander

Apparently all those people were shot with an AK-47.  Isn't there any gun control in France?

2 minutes ago, alias said:

Seems France has "patriots" as well.  4 days ago...

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190729/french-police-hunt-gunmen-who-killed-three-including-bystander

Apparently all those people were shot with an AK-47.  Isn't there any gun control in France?

Again, the typical ignorance about anything of "the rest of the world"

Ever heard about French Connection ?

1 hour ago, alias said:

Yep, bent out of shape.....just admit you don't like anybody but a fellow American to have an opinion, getting in a huff at a non american's view or opinion is a tad too emotive and doesn't show you to be a very equitable person when discussing topics. .

Very sad really as I have had many conversations with the many American friends I had (and still do have) when living in Pattaya and Hua Hin and none of them ever reacted like you just did to anything I had an opinion on. In fact I have never been accused of condescending paternalism either, that is indeed strange but you obviously have boxed me up with others who have bitten your ear so I won't be replying as this is obviously a touchy subject for you.

Have a great weekend.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yep, bent out of shape.....just admit you don't like anybody but a fellow American to have an opinion, getting in a huff at a non american's view or opinion is a tad too emotive and doesn't show you to be a very equitable person when discussing topics. .

Very sad really as I have had many conversations with the many American friends I had (and still do have) when living in Pattaya and Hua Hin and none of them ever reacted like you just did to anything I had an opinion on. In fact I have never been accused of condescending paternalism either, that is indeed strange but you obviously have boxed me up with others who have bitten your ear so I won't be replying as this is obviously a touchy subject for you.

Have a great weekend.

Nope, not bent out of shape.  Perhaps..... tired of paternalistic Europeans (and Americans, for that matter) acting as though the problem is simple.  It's not.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Again, the typical ignorance about anything of "the rest of the world"

Ever heard about French Connection ?

5 days ago, an assault rifle was used to kill three people in southern France.  Does it really matter why? 

And, if it does...... care to talk about American gun violence with the same attitude?

Edited by alias

29 minutes ago, alias said:

5 days ago, an assault rifle was used to kill three people in southern France.  Does it really matter why? 

And, if it does...... care to talk about American gun violence with the same attitude?

Man, you just showed the mentality why it will never change in your country.

Try to make the difference between mafia shoot outs and killings, who will always exist. We call it "reglement de compte", in English "accounting clearance". And thats what it is, business conflicts in the underworld. Do a search on Marseille, Toulon...or Lyon on the subject.

The problem YOU have is of regular Joe killing regular kids in a school or mall without any reason except him going mad.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Guess i should offer 'thoughts and prayers' as that's all politicians will as Americans continue to slaughter each other,while using the constitution to justify it.

That thoughts and prayers should be one word  with a hash tag up front if you are going to postit on social media

• Haha 2