• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
coxyhog

Eva Air seat selection

I've just tried to reserve a seat for the missus on Eva for next month & they're charging £24.70 for booking a standard seat.Never heard that before.

So what happens if you don't reserve one,do you get offloaded if it's overbooked?

No , you just get the seat they issue you with , if you check in early or online before you go to the airport you may be able to move to another if the plane isn't full 

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

No , you just get the seat they issue you with , if you check in early or online before you go to the airport you may be able to move to another if the plane isn't full 

I just found something on Trip Advisor,they recently started charging but if you wait until 48hrs before departure you can book for free.

Not a problem for the missus she's standard Thai.Can sleep anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, coxyhog said:

I've just tried to reserve a seat for the missus on Eva for next month & they're charging £24.70 for booking a standard seat.Never heard that before.

So what happens if you don't reserve one,do you get offloaded if it's overbooked?

I think they changed the seat selection based on the fare you paid in economy.  Back in January I was able to book seats even on a consolidated fare through Travel Trolley.  Now though think they are only allowing seat selection for higher fares (flexible economy fares and higher).

Probably be able to book seats 24 or 48 hours out for zero shekels but, yes, it is a pain when before it was standard practice for free seat selection months out of departure on all fares.

I have stood by for so many airlines including Thai, EVA, Emirates, BA, Qatar at the airport and I only get on when a seat is still available, I can't remember the last time I didn't get an aisle or a window seat once boarded so getting your choice within the time frame allotted should see you get what you want.

My last trip with Emirates though was different and I was on a full fare, I was allocated a middle seat despite my profile saying I wanted an aisle or window and I was told that to get out of the middle seat I should pay a premium, this was their way of saying 'we know what you want but you better pay for it then'.  Thankfully at the airport I was able to change (and actually got a bulkhead seat) for no charge, seats are always kept back but they don't always release them in case they do have situations that need sorting at the airport. 

• Like 1

I booked premier economy for September and had to pay extra for my seat choice.

Another greedy racket.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Another greedy racket.

That is a sad deal......

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Another greedy racket.

How much extra was it please?

How about business class, are they charging there now like BA or is it still free?

15 hours ago, Scottie said:

Another greedy racket.

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

How about business class, are they charging there now like BA or is it still free?

This is really taking the piss...

The result of everybody wanting dirt cheap tickets, so companies offer what used to be standard now as low price, and add everything they can add after.

Another area when the good days are over.

• Like 1

air asia is the bloody same.  extra for luggage, extra choose seat, extra for drink extra for food.  the ryan air system prevails

14 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

air asia is the bloody same.  extra for luggage, extra choose seat, extra for drink extra for food.  the ryan air system prevails

Yes, but Air Asia IS a low cost, so you expect it. 

But when now regular airlines start it also. Mainly because they want to have a first low price as close as possible to the L.C.C. ...

If they dont have that, they will never show up on price comparaison websites, except at the bottom. If they want more visibility and be able to compete with the LC, they show "bare" prices and after that add all kind of stuff. 

39 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

Yeah air asia recently started doing Brisbane to bangkok direct (only Thai does that run) and whilst the basic cost is almost 30% cheaper than Thai by the time you add on seat allocation/meal/luggage etc etc the price is about $50.00 cheaper than Thai............ and it lands at Don Meuang which drives up the price of the taxi to pattaya.

If you've got big testicles and an honest face AND remember which check in girl served you lol you can on final gate with a quizzical look open palms and a frown say "I asked for an aisle seat but am not sure this boarding card is one".....and then shut up

Only twice have I done it (when allocated inside seat). and you see frowns on faces of staff desperately searching for an aisle seat lol....I'm embarassed to say 21 years later I got upgraded on Cathy Pacific from Hong Kong to London .

I felt so guilty on that occasion lol

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

16 minutes ago, Scottie said:

The extra charge was £31.70 each way.

Thanks.

Would you be able to explain to me how this works if you book through an agent - e.g. Netflights - please.

I guess the agent will be quoting the rock bottom price. What happens if you want an add-on, like seat selection? Do you pay the agent when doing the booking, or do you pay EVA directly, subsequent to the booking?

12 minutes ago, Scottie said:

The extra charge was £31.70 each way.

Thanks,

13 hours ago, tommy dee said:

But these airlines are no thrills airlines and not what should be called full service airlines.  The word 'full service' applied to the other mainstream airlines such as BA/Emirates, Thai and EVA etc whereby a fare would see you get an allocated seat, full baggage allowance and a meal. That is now changing as some of these airlines on shorter routes such as BA even charge for a meal, going in the wrong direction for me.

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

But these airlines are no thrills airlines and not what should be called full service airlines.  The word 'full service' applied to the other mainstream airlines such as BA/Emirates, Thai and EVA etc whereby a fare would see you get an allocated seat, full baggage allowance and a meal. That is now changing as some of these airlines on shorter routes such as BA even charge for a meal, going in the wrong direction for me.

I agree , but most people seem to want cheaper and cheaper , airlines are providing what the public seem to want 

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I agree , but most people seem to want cheaper and cheaper , airlines are providing what the public seem to want 

I agree people want cheaper and cheaper but what they want when they pay more is the expectation of a better service than they would get from a budget airline.

If the major carriers are going to offer a reduced service then they should also reduce the fares and not expect passengers to pay a premium for what was once a standard offering.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I agree people want cheaper and cheaper but what they want when they pay more is the expectation of a better service than they would get from a budget airline.

If the major carriers are going to offer a reduced service then they should also reduce the fares and not expect passengers to pay a premium for what was once a standard offering.

I really don't think people are paying premium prices at the moment, instead of increasing prices carriers have introduced basic fares and asked people to pay extra for better food or better seats , EVA have Basic , Standard and Plus in all three Classes they fly 

if you buy the most expensive Economy tickets , then seat selection and everything else is free 

Edited by Stillearly

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

I really don't think people are paying premium prices at the moment, instead of increasing prices carriers have introduced basic fares and asked people to pay extra for better food or better seats , EVA have Basic , Standard and Plus in all three Classes they fly 

When I say premium, I mean paying extra for what was once given as standard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed yesterday on Oman that they have reduced percentage of Sindbad miles allocated (again) down to 10% on consolidated fares. It was 25%. Doesnt effect tier miles (actual mileage flown) as regards requalifying for Silver/Gold but it does effect the spending of miles in Transit on Ciggies and Baccy

They're all penny pinching here and there

Just looked at Emirates Business flights , they now seem to have four types of Business fare , the basic doesn't have the chauffeur or Lounge access and no advanced seat selection ... can't see how this would be popular personally ....

19 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Yes,people want cheap flights then moan when they have to pay extra charges.Airlines costs go up every year so they have to recoup the money while trying to keep basic flight prices attractive.

People seem to think they are owed a free ride,but airlines could just bump up prices and include all the options for free.Then people would moan about the flight prices.

I only travel with hand luggage and am not that bothered about seat selection etc.,so cheap flights are great for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Just looked at Emirates Business flights , they now seem to have four types of Business fare , the basic doesn't have the chauffeur or Lounge access and no advanced seat selection ... can't see how this would be popular personally ....

They launched these "Special" business class fares in early June and rolled them out to include ex UK flights a few weeks later.  For the ones I've seen they're about £50 to £100 cheaper each way than the next up "Saver" fares, so it all depends on what value you put on chauffeur drive and their lounge whether they'd be of interest.  I get lounge entry through Skywards status and chauffeur drive is a poor deal between BKK and Pattaya, so might be tempted.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this