Jump to content
Pumpuynarak

Guys, who is who ?

Recommended Posts

On 8/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, fygjam said:

 

“tanquam ex ungue leonem”

 

 

5 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So what does it mean ? I'm too lazy to look it up....

 

In June 1696 Johann Bernoulli addressed a letter to the mathematicians of Europe challenging them to
solve two problems:

1. to determine the brachistochrone curve between two given points not in the same vertical line

2. to determine a curve such that, if a straight line drawn through a fixed point A meet it in two points P1, P2, then
mAP1+ mAP2 will be constant.

This challenge was first made in the Ada Lipsiensia for June 1696.

Six months were allowed by Bernoulli for the solution of the problem, and in the event of none being sent to him he
promised to publish his own. The six months elapsed without any solution being produced; but he received a letter
from (Gottfried Wilhelm) Leibniz, stating that he had "cut the knot of the most beautiful of these problems",
and requesting that the period for their solution should be extended to Christmas next; that the French and Italian
mathematicians might have no reason to complain of the shortness of the period. Bernoulli adopted the suggestion,
and publicly announced the postponement for the information of those who might not see the Ada Lipsiensia.

On 29 January 1697 Isaac Newton returned at 4pm from working at the Royal Mint and found in his post the problems that
Bernoulli had sent to him directly; two copies of the printed paper containing the problems. Newton stayed up to 4am
before arriving at the solutions; on the following day he sent a solution of them to Montague, then president of the
Royal Society for anonymous publication.

He announced that the curve required in the first problem must be a cycloid, and he gave a method of determining it.
He also solved the second problem, and in so doing showed that by the same method other curves might be found which
cut off three or more segments having similar properties.

Solutions were also obtained from Leibniz and the Marquis de l'Hôpital; and, although Newton's solution was anonymous,
he was recognized by Bernoulli as its author; "tanquam ex ungue leonem" (we recognize the lion by his claw).

 

 

In the context of this thread, perhaps the ex Secrets members can be recognised by their claws. i.e. the style in which they post.

 

  • Great Info 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So what does it mean ? I'm too lazy to look it up....

We know the lion by it's claw or I recognize the lion by his claw.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am Steelers4Life on here as I was on Shh. On Addicts and Live I use 2 different names. Alex knows who I am on Live, but on Addicts I like my anonymity. I don't want to know people there. I rarely visit Shh, Live, or Addicts anymore since this forum was created. Very comfortable here. 

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fygjam said:

 

 

In June 1696 Johann Bernoulli addressed a letter to the mathematicians of Europe challenging them to
solve two problems:

1. to determine the brachistochrone curve between two given points not in the same vertical line

2. to determine a curve such that, if a straight line drawn through a fixed point A meet it in two points P1, P2, then
mAP1+ mAP2 will be constant.

This challenge was first made in the Ada Lipsiensia for June 1696.

Six months were allowed by Bernoulli for the solution of the problem, and in the event of none being sent to him he
promised to publish his own. The six months elapsed without any solution being produced; but he received a letter
from (Gottfried Wilhelm) Leibniz, stating that he had "cut the knot of the most beautiful of these problems",
and requesting that the period for their solution should be extended to Christmas next; that the French and Italian
mathematicians might have no reason to complain of the shortness of the period. Bernoulli adopted the suggestion,
and publicly announced the postponement for the information of those who might not see the Ada Lipsiensia.

On 29 January 1697 Isaac Newton returned at 4pm from working at the Royal Mint and found in his post the problems that
Bernoulli had sent to him directly; two copies of the printed paper containing the problems. Newton stayed up to 4am
before arriving at the solutions; on the following day he sent a solution of them to Montague, then president of the
Royal Society for anonymous publication.

He announced that the curve required in the first problem must be a cycloid, and he gave a method of determining it.
He also solved the second problem, and in so doing showed that by the same method other curves might be found which
cut off three or more segments having similar properties.

Solutions were also obtained from Leibniz and the Marquis de l'Hôpital; and, although Newton's solution was anonymous,
he was recognized by Bernoulli as its author; "tanquam ex ungue leonem" (we recognize the lion by his claw).

 

 

In the context of this thread, perhaps the ex Secrets members can be recognised by their claws. i.e. the style in which they post.

 

Me heads caved in lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for somebody to say "Carlsberg"

Might have a long wait. :default_239_fishing:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Waiting for somebody to say "Carlsberg"

Might have a long wait. :default_239_fishing:

Probably the finest BM name in the world .................. 

OK even longer wait ......... :default_1087:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Me heads caved in lol

 

Then can I have my pearls back...

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

Me heads caved in lol

Mine too thats some deep shit I bet he can do the times crossword 55555.

JDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JDM said:

Mine too thats some deep shit I bet he can do the times crossword 55555.

JDM

Bingo lol, but he helps me with my understanding of Coms which i am eternally grateful for 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, fygjam said:

 

Then can I have my pearls back...

 

 

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Bingo lol, but he helps me with my understanding of Coms which i am eternally grateful for 👍

 

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Pearls before swine'?

Items of quality offered to those who aren't cultured enough to appreciate them.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/pearls-before-swine.html

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, Sir_Fondles said:

No, I was Fondles but got banned.... I then used friends logins but grumpy old bastard was not one of them.

Wonder how many more posts before this thread becomes the typical secrets shitfest ?

And here I thought you were Chang Fai on Secrets. Thanks for clearing that up. Carry on

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

And here I thought you were Chang Fai on Secrets. Thanks for clearing that up. Carry on

LMFAO

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

And here I thought you were Chang Fai on Secrets. 

Exactly my thoughts ..

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...