After a couple of days on the ground . .

Britboy

9 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

One thing to remember is Pattaya is not Thailand. Upcountry you get smiles all day long both from passerby's and service people. I think many in Patts are just miserable with their jobs from the get-go

And Pattaya doesn't attract the finest examples of Thai society, very much the contrary....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Steelers4Life said:

One thing to remember is Pattaya is not Thailand. Upcountry you get smiles all day long both from passerby's and service people. I think many in Patts are just miserable with their jobs from the get-go. 

But its cultural mate, Thais are taught at a very young age you greet people with a wai and smile, they might just be happy to see you or they might not lol. I do agree the Thai smiles up country have a far better chance of being genuine but it ain't called the LOS for nothing, most will do it irrespective, imo of course.

I know wifey will always offer a wai and smile to some people she can't stand being in the company of lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

One thing to remember is Pattaya is not Thailand. Upcountry you get smiles all day long both from passerby's and service people. I think many in Patts are just miserable with their jobs from the get-go. 

I think it is the same in a lot of cities across the globe; cities just attract a vast demography of people and they are all there to make as much money as possible, the mix of cultures and the normality with time can create bored and lackluster service at best.

Getting out into the country where foreigners are not walking down every Soi might still see an interest in you and with an accompanying a smile.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, Britboy said:

Yep, foodmart is another one. I go in there a fair bit and agree, the females are miserable. The 2 guys who stand around at the entrance (the "heavies" presumably) aren't too bad though.

Been going to Mart nearly 2 years and never even a small sign of recognition. Same at Villa. Worst is the small liquor shop on Theprassit around the corner from Mart, always spend couple thou baht there but never a hello or thanks and in fact they even studiously avoid looking at me at all. Will be taking my custom elsewhere.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blix99 said:

Been going to Mart nearly 2 years and never even a small sign of recognition. Same at Villa. Worst is the small liquor shop on Theprassit around the corner from Mart, always spend couple thou baht there but never a hello or thanks and in fact they even studiously avoid looking at me at all. Will be taking my custom elsewhere.   

Why change after 2 years ?

12 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Mart is 2 years. Booze shop only about 6 months and they are so deliberate with their studied disdain I choose to go elsewhere before I snap and say something I might later regret. 

12 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Just catching up with this thread @Britboy, good read, your on the ground observations, how you have noticed the changes since you starting coming 15 years ago etc. Though some things never change, re what i'd call the 'needy' in regards to relationships getting exploited. But that can and does happen all over the world. It's just maybe more prevalent in the likes of Thailand, as so many come there seeking ...

I like Hua Hin, and it's definitely a different type of tourist and atmosphere than what you mostly get in Pattaya. If and when I retire and come stay for any length of time in Thailand, it will be either Hua Hin or down Sattahip/Rayong direction. 

Hope you're still around in January, hope to catch up with you. Will be in Cha Am down Hua Hin way for a few days, as well as Bangkok, Ayutthaya and Pattaya.

Great thread, thanks for taking the time, wish there was more of these 'On the ground' threads. 

Cheers, and Tractor boys top of the league, early days but looking good! :default_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Krapow said:

Just catching up with this thread @Britboy, good read, your on the ground observations, how you have noticed the changes since you starting coming 15 years ago etc. Though some things never change, re what i'd call the 'needy' in regards to relationships getting exploited. But that can and does happen all over the world. It's just maybe more prevalent in the likes of Thailand, as so many come there seeking ...

I like Hua Hin, and it's definitely a different type of tourist and atmosphere than what you mostly get in Pattaya. If and when I retire and come stay for any length of time in Thailand, it will be either Hua Hin or down Sattahip/Rayong direction. 

Hope you're still around in January, hope to catch up with you. Will be in Cha Am down Hua Hin way for a few days, as well as Bangkok, Ayutthaya and Pattaya.

Great thread, thanks for taking the time, wish there was more of these 'On the ground' threads. 

Cheers, and Tractor boys top of the league, early days but looking good! :default_biggrin:

Thanks Krapow, appreciate your comments.

Yes, the Tractor Boys are doing well. Haven't mentioned this before, but I've been involved with the club at board level for a few years now. One of the perks is I get a live feed of every game, so even though in Thailand I've watched every game in full since I've been here. Some not live as it's often a Saturday night or a 1.45 am kick off, but I can replay them, so often watch in the morning while trying to shake off my hangover . . .

While we're playing well and back to the "Ipswich of old" (passing the ball around nicely and great movement to receive the ball rather than hoofing it up to a big bloke) League 1 is shite. The standard is dreadful and if we can't finish in the top 2 we'll have something to answer for with the squad we've got. Even when the opposition are on a "dangerous attack" the final ball and finishing is so poor I don't worry too much.

Anyway, interesting you like Hua Hin. I've never actually spent any real time in Cha Am, only passed through it on the way to and back from Hua Hin from BKK. I'll certainly post my thoughts on HH once I've been back there.

I'll be here in January - currently my flight back is booked on January 29th, but will see nearer the time if I stay longer than that. At least with a 12 month retirement visa I have the choice.

Not much happened since my last update, except I have this weekend alone as I've pretty much binned "helmet scraper" gogo girl and bank girl has gone to Khon Kaen with her mum and 3 brothers to visit her grandparents. This has reinforced my intention to not have a 24/7 live-in as it's great having my 100% freedom. While it's nice to have an attractive and slim TG at your beck and call, so to speak, while on Wednesday I'm looking forward to her coming on Friday, on Monday morning I'm happy after she's left. I guess being selfish, once the tanks are well and truly empty, the rest of the time it's a type of pressure to make sure she's not bored and that we're doing "stuff", some of which I don't really want to do. Probably a sign of getting old - CBAS (Can't Be Arsed Syndrome).

So went out last night to LK Metro, popped into Rockhouse which was going to be for a couple of beers before hitting some gogos, but ended up being a 4 hour session. One of the girls had a birthday, there was a sound system set up with a DJ (set up outside) and it turned into a fun night. Sat chewing the fat with Alex most of the time, but got chatting to the DJ and the guy who'd organised the sound system. Good fun. Staggered out of there and jumped in a Grab, so didn't even hit a single gogo in the end.

Had a great lie in this morning, which again brought home that I didn't want a live in. I actually woke up early due to a big thunderstorm, so at 7 am was sitting on the balcony with a coffee and having a smoke, watching the lightning and pouring rain. Had a bit of a headache, took a knock-out pill and crashed again until midday. Late, leisurely breakfast then walked to the 7/11 to stock up. Back to reality. Filled my basket with the stuff I wanted and went to the checkout. 7 other people "queueing" in the loosest possible sense. One checkout open and I counted 8 staff standing at the side, talking incessantly and loudly, totally ignoring the customers trying to queue. Then some Asian comes in and attacks the "queue" from the entrance end, goes straight to the counter and asks for some cigarettes. Unbelievable. He can see there's a queue FFS. A farang lady who was about no. 3 in the queue had a real go at him. Both the check out girl and the guy just ignored her, he got served and left. Was so hard to bite my tongue, but I did.

And guess what? No. 1 in the queue, a Thai lady, had bought a sandwich, that she wanted toasted. So the checkout girl put it in the toaster then just stood and waited. The queue had got bigger and these 7 other staff members were still just standing and talking. No thought of serving someone else while the sandwich was being toasted.

Finally the crowd of check-out girls moved and opened up two more check-outs. I finally got served, got my change and left without saying a word. I was proud of myself as I so wanted to let rip.

One benefit of having a live-in is to get her to do this shit. When bank girl is here, I get her to do it, so I can avoid the stress factor.

So it's great being on my own, back in the condo, deciding what to do and when to do "it", whatever "it" turns out to be.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Britboy said:

So it's great being on my own, back in the condo, deciding what to do and when to do "it", whatever "it" turns out to be.

ya won't be on your own next week .. :default_friends:.. we'll raise a glass of two of red to one and all including Belfast's finest Krapow ..... a nice cranberry juice of course for D .... 🍷🍷

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

ya won't be on your own next week .. :default_friends:.. we'll raise a glass of two of red to one and all including Belfast's finest Krapow ..... a nice cranberry juice of course for D .... 🍷🍷

Looking forward to it mate . . 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Would prefer to avoid a certain female though . . 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Britboy said:

This has reinforced my intention to not have a 24/7 live-in as it's great having my 100% freedom. While it's nice to have an attractive and slim TG at your beck and call, so to speak, while on Wednesday I'm looking forward to her coming on Friday, on Monday morning I'm happy after she's left. I guess being selfish, once the tanks are well and truly empty, the rest of the time it's a type of pressure to make sure she's not bored and that we're doing "stuff", some of which I don't really want to do. Probably a sign of getting old - CBAS (Can't Be Arsed Syndrome).

I can empathise with that.

It's difficult to get anything set up that gives a good balance between companionship and feeling stifled. I thought I had cracked it a couple of years ago with a girl who worked at a hospital in BKK. We just met up at weekends and holidays (but that was mostly public holidays rather than vacations as she was entitled to hardly any). It all went wrong because she was 35 and childless, and desperately wanted a kid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britboy said:

Looking forward to it mate . . 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Would prefer to avoid a certain female though . . 😉

I'll pass her on to Grayray for his return ......... randy old Aussie goat will shag anything with a pulse these days ....... :default_cheers:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Britboy said:

Yes, the Tractor Boys are doing well. Haven't mentioned this before, but I've been involved with the club at board level for a few years now. One of the perks is I get a live feed of every game, so even though in Thailand I've watched every game in full since I've been here. Some not live as it's often a Saturday night or a 1.45 am kick off, but I can replay them, so often watch in the morning while trying to shake off my hangover . . .

While we're playing well and back to the "Ipswich of old" (passing the ball around nicely and great movement to receive the ball rather than hoofing it up to a big bloke) League 1 is shite. The standard is dreadful and if we can't finish in the top 2 we'll have something to answer for with the squad we've got. Even when the opposition are on a "dangerous attack" the final ball and finishing is so poor I don't worry too much.

Anyway, interesting you like Hua Hin. I've never actually spent any real time in Cha Am, only passed through it on the way to and back from Hua Hin from BKK. I'll certainly post my thoughts on HH once I've been back there.

I'll be here in January - currently my flight back is booked on January 29th, but will see nearer the time if I stay longer than that. At least with a 12 month retirement visa I have the choice.

Not much happened since my last update, except I have this weekend alone as I've pretty much binned "helmet scraper" gogo girl and bank girl has gone to Khon Kaen with her mum and 3 brothers to visit her grandparents. This has reinforced my intention to not have a 24/7 live-in as it's great having my 100% freedom. While it's nice to have an attractive and slim TG at your beck and call, so to speak, while on Wednesday I'm looking forward to her coming on Friday, on Monday morning I'm happy after she's left. I guess being selfish, once the tanks are well and truly empty, the rest of the time it's a type of pressure to make sure she's not bored and that we're doing "stuff", some of which I don't really want to do. Probably a sign of getting old - CBAS (Can't Be Arsed Syndrome).

So went out last night to LK Metro, popped into Rockhouse which was going to be for a couple of beers before hitting some gogos, but ended up being a 4 hour session. One of the girls had a birthday, there was a sound system set up with a DJ (set up outside) and it turned into a fun night. Sat chewing the fat with Alex most of the time, but got chatting to the DJ and the guy who'd organised the sound system. Good fun. Staggered out of there and jumped in a Grab, so didn't even hit a single gogo in the end.

Had a great lie in this morning, which again brought home that I didn't want a live in. I actually woke up early due to a big thunderstorm, so at 7 am was sitting on the balcony with a coffee and having a smoke, watching the lightning and pouring rain. Had a bit of a headache, took a knock-out pill and crashed again until midday. Late, leisurely breakfast then walked to the 7/11 to stock up. Back to reality. Filled my basket with the stuff I wanted and went to the checkout. 7 other people "queueing" in the loosest possible sense. One checkout open and I counted 8 staff standing at the side, talking incessantly and loudly, totally ignoring the customers trying to queue. Then some Asian comes in and attacks the "queue" from the entrance end, goes straight to the counter and asks for some cigarettes. Unbelievable. He can see there's a queue FFS. A farang lady who was about no. 3 in the queue had a real go at him. Both the check out girl and the guy just ignored her, he got served and left. Was so hard to bite my tongue, but I did.

And guess what? No. 1 in the queue, a Thai lady, had bought a sandwich, that she wanted toasted. So the checkout girl put it in the toaster then just stood and waited. The queue had got bigger and these 7 other staff members were still just standing and talking. No thought of serving someone else while the sandwich was being toasted.

Finally the crowd of check-out girls moved and opened up two more check-outs. I finally got served, got my change and left without saying a word. I was proud of myself as I so wanted to let rip.

One benefit of having a live-in is to get her to do this shit. When bank girl is here, I get her to do it, so I can avoid the stress factor.

Yes, i'm old enough to remember the Mick Mills, Paul Mariner and John Wark days.

Then being from Northern Ireland, Bryan Hamilton, Jim Magilton.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Yes, i'm old enough to remember the Mick Mills, Paul Mariner and John Wark days.

Then being from Northern Ireland, Bryan Hamilton, Jim Magilton.

All the guys you mention there are great guys. I know Mick pretty well, played golf with him a few times with his son. Warky I class as a mate. He still lives in Suffolk and comes to all home games as an ambassador in one of the hospitality areas. His front room is a shrine of medals and cups. Pride of place is his PFA Player of the Year award. Clean sweep that year for Ipswich - Warky won it, Mariner 2nd and Frans Thijssen 3rd. Kevin Beattie (the best player I've ever seen at Portman Road) won the young player of the year. Sadly Kevin died a couple of years ago. Our fans raised enough money to create a statue of Kevin - to be placed along Portman Road in between the statues of Alf Ramsay and Bobby Robson.

I know Bryan Hamilton well too - he also still lives in Suffolk and involved with the club. Great guy and when you get him and Allan Hunter together it's such a laugh. They have a love/hate relationship, always taking the mick out of each other. But they're great mates.

Paul Mariner lived in USA for a good few years, but he's in the process of moving back to Suffolk.

I've lost contact with Magic. He's not around the town any more but wish him well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

I can empathise with that.

It's difficult to get anything set up that gives a good balance between companionship and feeling stifled. I thought I had cracked it a couple of years ago with a girl who worked at a hospital in BKK. We just met up at weekends and holidays (but that was mostly public holidays rather than vacations as she was entitled to hardly any). It all went wrong because she was 35 and childless, and desperately wanted a kid.

My bank girl is 37 and childless. She hasn't put any pressure on or even mentioned kids yet, but being honest, her being without children was one of the attractions as I certainly don''t want any more.

Can understand your dilemma and I'll do the same as you if it gets really serious with her as I'll have the conversation. It wouldn't be fair of me to stay with her if she desperately wants to have a kid.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Britboy said:

My bank girl is 37 and childless. She hasn't put any pressure on or even mentioned kids yet, but being honest, her being without children was one of the attractions as I certainly don''t want any more.

Can understand your dilemma and I'll do the same as you if it gets really serious with her as I'll have the conversation. It wouldn't be fair of me to stay with her if she desperately wants to have a kid.

Fully agree with that, and can relate to it...

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Britboy said:

All the guys you mention there are great guys. I know Mick pretty well, played golf with him a few times with his son. Warky I class as a mate. He still lives in Suffolk and comes to all home games as an ambassador in one of the hospitality areas. His front room is a shrine of medals and cups. Pride of place is his PFA Player of the Year award. Clean sweep that year for Ipswich - Warky won it, Mariner 2nd and Frans Thijssen 3rd. Kevin Beattie (the best player I've ever seen at Portman Road) won the young player of the year. Sadly Kevin died a couple of years ago. Our fans raised enough money to create a statue of Kevin - to be placed along Portman Road in between the statues of Alf Ramsay and Bobby Robson.

I know Bryan Hamilton well too - he also still lives in Suffolk and involved with the club. Great guy and when you get him and Allan Hunter together it's such a laugh. They have a love/hate relationship, always taking the mick out of each other. But they're great mates.

Paul Mariner lived in USA for a good few years, but he's in the process of moving back to Suffolk.

I've lost contact with Magic. He's not around the town any more but wish him well.

I went to school with a guy called Terry Austin, we played together for Isleworth Grammar, he was sold to Ipswich in 1973 .... he traveled around in the lower divisions for quite a while after.

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I went to school with a guy called Terry Austin, we played together for Isleworth Grammar, he was sold to Ipswich in 1973 .... he traveled around in the lower divisions for quite a while after.

Yep, remember him playing for us, though wasn't involved with the club at that time so never got to meet him.

10 hours ago, Britboy said:

had simular back in the late 90s at the post poffice in soi Post office, standing nice and peaceful in line maybe hour and ahalf get to the front and this wee local just walks straight up and the shelia behind the counter starts to serve him,i very peacefully hold the back of his jacket and take him to the end of the line,no yelling no anger,just right flucked off.every one, bar him and the shelia cheer,

all the thais was laughing their tits off seems he is a repeat offender.

must admit I had eyes in the back of me head for week or so.

I try my best at all times in LOS to hide my anger,got holes in my tongue from bitting it.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

One of the best players i've ever had the pleasure to watch, pure class imo.

So much to say about Kevin.

Bobby Robson has said he’s the best player he ever coached. I know that to be true as I’m still good mates with Bobby’s best mate over the years, Charlie Woods.

The stories Charlie tells of Kevin are hilarious. Like him and Allan Hunter disappearing to the groundsmen’s shed at half time during home matches to have a cigarette.

Kevin’s debut was at Old Trafford and we won 2-1. A few games later we played Leeds in their heyday. Allan tells the story of Alan (sniffer) Clarke, who while a great finisher was also a nasty piece of work. In the first few minutes he elbowed Kevin in the face. Hunter went over to him and said if you do that again I’ll break your fucking neck. Clarke never went near Kevin again the entire game.

Kevin was an absolute colossus. His power was immense, he was so quick and his leap was incredible.

One last story, in the mid 70’s they organised a 100 yard race to see who was the fastest pro. Charlie drove Kevin to the venue and they stayed overnight for the race the next morning. Kevin went out with some mates that night and got bladdered. He showed up 2 minutes before the race looking like shit. This was televised btw.

Kevin was the favourite, along with Malcolm McDonald. The gun went and Kevin streaked ahead. After 50 yards he was in the lead and yards ahead of McDonald. All of a sudden he started to slow up, “adjusting” himself. He finished 2nd to McDonald.

After the race Charlie asked him “WTF was all that about?”

Kevin explained that due to being late he forgot to put on his jockstrap. After 50 yards his meat and 2 veg were hanging out the side of his shorts! They played the tv footage, which showed his Crown Jewels slapping all over the place.

Due to that it was never shown on tv.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, grayray said:

had simular back in the late 90s at the post poffice in soi Post office, standing nice and peaceful in line maybe hour and ahalf get to the front and this wee local just walks straight up and the shelia behind the counter starts to serve him,i very peacefully hold the back of his jacket and take him to the end of the line,no yelling no anger,just right flucked off.every one, bar him and the shelia cheer,

all the thais was laughing their tits off seems he is a repeat offender.

must admit I had eyes in the back of me head for week or so.

I try my best at all times in LOS to hide my anger,got holes in my tongue from bitting it.

regards

grayray

Good for you Grayray. That must have taken some bottle, though I guess the red mist overtook being Mr Sensible.