I'm still smoking.....

Pumpuynarak

On 8/6/2019 at 2:30 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Despite being fully aware of the damage i'm doing and have done i can't help meself. I've been smoking continuously since the age of 10yo (only what i could pinch) and i'm now nearly 69yo and should know better. I've always smoked at least a pack a day and when younger i was smoking everything i could put a match to lol, i'm now on circa 25 daily as i'm retired with FA to do other than the things i enjoy and i'm a firm believer in doing ALL the things you enjoy before the grim reaper calls.

I would hate to die not having enjoyed the latter part of my life when all the pressures of life have gone and smoking is one of the things that i REALLY ENJOY bit like wifey really, i really enjoy her too lol.

If i was still living in the UK perhaps the cost would be a motivating factor but here in Thailand i'm paying 60bht for a pack of Camel so no problem there then. I've even had hypnotism in an attempt to pack in but sure enough i was back smoking the following morning after the session (50gbp wasted) 

I think i know what the problem is, i don't really want to and until i do i'll never crack it.

Has anyone cracked it and what did you do to ensure success ?

A wooden overcoat is pretty much guaranteed to stop you!  At 25 a day you want to hope your not wearing it to premature.

I stopped in 2010,was smoking up to 70 rolleys a day,just got up one morning and said fuckit iam finished,threw the tobacco in the bin,and have not been back,cause if there had been a shop in walking distance,there would have been a few days I would have been back on the bludgers.

this was stupid seeing I had a quadruple bypass in 2001 and I went back on the smoke 3 years later.still get the urge now and then,but stay strong--------------------------just

regards

grayray

• Thumbs Up 1

Today marks 5 months since I gave up - the cravings still come sometimes but are much easier to manage. My app tells me that I have NOT smoked 6100 cigarettes and saved enough to buy myself a business class return to Bangkok or a Economy return and 10 days in a medium priced hotel.
Another 5 months and I should be able to finance an entire trip including the booze and the girls...

Happy days...

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm Just going to work this out..

I smoked just less than two boxes per day that's around 35 cigs.

So 35 x 30 days =  1050 cigs per month at a cost of £525 wow..

So £525 per month and i've not smoked for the last 18 months = £9450

Now that's a saving .. but not just in money but on my life.. if i still smoked i wouldn't be here today.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 5 weeks later...

Today marks six months that I have been smoke free! Looks like I've made it to halfway - I wouldn't consider myself as someone who's given up unless I go through at least a year. This is mainly because I still get the urge once in a while and I have to work hard to overcome that.
This only tells me that smoking is probably amongst the most habit forming activities known to man and giving up is far tougher than I thought it would have been - however, I haven't slipped yet, so onwards and upwards to a year without the killer...

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

How I quit smoking, was i turned to vaping.. in 2012..

These days, the nicotine liquid available can be higher strength, ie. 24,36 & 54mg - this is called 'Salts'

Quite simply, the higher mg of nicotine inhaled, the less cravings the user will have, also less puffs will be required..(unless you want to be dizzy)

Also these high strength liquids are easily available in LOS, coupled with the ecig device called a 'Pod', which are more smaller, compact.and easy to fill.

Edited by miko
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, miko said:

These days, the nicotine liquid CAN be higher strength, ie. 24,36 & 54mg - this is called 'Salts'

Quite simply, the higher mg of nicotine inhaled, the less cravings the user will have, also less puffs will be required..(unless you want to be dizzy)

Also these high strength liquids are available in LOS, coupled with a device called a 'Pod', which are more smaller &  compact..

Sounds like swapping one addiction for another ..

7 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Correct- all you have to do is compare the number of deaths as a result smoking cigarettes to the deaths caused from vaping in the past year. No brainier to the vape naysayers.

Vaping is relatively new though ... it's effects are still largely unknown 

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I've heard that so many times Mike from ex smokers, the craving might diminish but never goes away. I've had mates who would love to stand next to me just to get a whiff of smoke lol. One day in the not too distant future i'm gonna give it a crack to stop for good, i just need to get in the right frame of mind. 

Cliff,

I gave up 50-70 rollies a day  10years ago,i just stopped cold,there was times in first few weeks in a service station/shop close to home I would have been back on them.

easier for me because I live on me own,no smoking in the clubs/pubs here so it was a lot easier to stop,now you would be looking at 200aud a week to smoke same amount I did back then.

I still don't allow anyone to smoke in my home or car.

hope you can give them up mate,i still miss that first smoke in the morning with a nice strong cuppa.sitting out the back as the sun comes up,birds singing,mossies driving ya mad.

"oh! those where the days my friends"

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

An update - it has now been just over a year since I have up (my story is there earlier in this thread). I can now taste food the way it's supposed to be.

However, the cravings are still there and sometimes it's pretty bad.

The bad - I've saved enough money through not smoking for a very decent trip to Pattaya but this damn virus had put paid to any such plans for quite some time now...

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 1 year later...

Well i failed miserably at my previous attempt to quit but the older i get its becoming more and more necessary for me to quit. I just gotta f****** do it.

I'm contemplating having another attempt with a very good mate this NY as a NY resolution.

Wish me luck but don't hold your breath lol

• Thumbs Up 5

If you live in New Zealand and you're 14 years or younger, the govt intends to help you stop smoking by never letting you start. Thing is, when has a prohibition on something that was previously legal ever worked? This saying comes to mind, “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.

New Zealand plans to ban smoking for the next generation

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:08 PM, miko said:

These days, the nicotine liquid available can be higher strength, ie. 24,36 & 54mg - this is called 'Salts'

Also these high strength liquids are easily available in LOS, coupled with the ecig device called a 'Pod', which are more smaller, compact.and easy to fill.

Same here, though since 2009.  I get all the enjoyment of smoking, without the damage.  I also haven't had a bout of bronchitis since, which used to be a regular event.

Annual chest x-rays and ultrasounds during my physical exams show that my lungs have massively cleared up in those years, though after 30+ years of 3 packs a day there is some permanent damage that can't repair itself.

The only downside is Thai law, so I don't vape around government offices, etc.  Though I've seen policemen vaping, no need to push my luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

the govt intends to help you stop smoking by never letting you start.

and what did i tell my two sons in their early teens "The easiest way to pack in smoking is never to start" and what did they both do in their late teens, started smoking 😧 but for the last few years they both only have a ciggie when out socially havin a drink with friends in the evenings. Better than being a full time smoker i suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and what did i tell my two sons in their early teens "The easiest way to pack in smoking is never to start" and what did they both do in their late teens, started smoking 😧 but for the last few years they both only have a ciggie when out socially havin a drink with friends in the evenings. Better than being a full time smoker i suppose.

My son picked up the habit in his late teens, but too his credit he quit after only a few years of smoking.

Had a laugh when I asked him why he started and he said it was the stress of the job. He was working at McDonalds at the time. Told him, "son you don't know the meaning of stress until you're working a job to support your family".

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My son picked up the habit in his late teens, but too his credit he quit after only a few years of smoking.

Had a laugh when I asked him why he started and he said it was the stress of the job. He was working at McDonalds at the time. Told him, "son you don't know the meaning of stress until you're working a job to support your family".

How very true 👍

On 9/2/2019 at 11:59 AM, fygjam said:

I smoked over a pack a day for more than forty years. Gave myself a reason and stopped. No weaning down, no patches, gums or sprays, no vaping. That was over 5 years 7 years ago.

As mentioned a number of times on this thread. If you want to stop, you can.