I'm still smoking.....

Pumpuynarak

Despite being fully aware of the damage i'm doing and have done i can't help meself. I've been smoking continuously since the age of 10yo (only what i could pinch) and i'm now nearly 69yo and should know better. I've always smoked at least a pack a day and when younger i was smoking everything i could put a match to lol, i'm now on circa 25 daily as i'm retired with FA to do other than the things i enjoy and i'm a firm believer in doing ALL the things you enjoy before the grim reaper calls.

I would hate to die not having enjoyed the latter part of my life when all the pressures of life have gone and smoking is one of the things that i REALLY ENJOY bit like wifey really, i really enjoy her too lol.

If i was still living in the UK perhaps the cost would be a motivating factor but here in Thailand i'm paying 60bht for a pack of Camel so no problem there then. I've even had hypnotism in an attempt to pack in but sure enough i was back smoking the following morning after the session (50gbp wasted) 

I think i know what the problem is, i don't really want to and until i do i'll never crack it.

Has anyone cracked it and what did you do to ensure success ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I used tried everything as well ,  was a pretty heavy smoker especially when drinking ....  Champix finally worked for me , haven't has a cigarette for ten years now 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

good luck 

Well done and thanks, that looks interesting, i'll make some enquiries as to its availability here in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Al McReady said:

Now only smoke when drinking,still miss a ciggy after a meal with my cuppa.

Never smoked, but if I really enjoyed it, that is what I would aim for. Known a few guys who do that, or only smoke others 🙂 , but not easy I bet.

• Like 2

Vaping helped me quit. I don't smoke in the States anymore. I vape here in Thailand when I am in the condo around the pool, or when upcountry as the BIB in Korat don't give a shit and vape themselves. I have seen a few National Park police out here on Koh Samet vaping away out in the open as well. I will have a cig here and there when out and about in the bars in Patts as I don't want to to get nicked for 20k. I am not one of those vapers that have the gear that expel a massive cloud of vapor so I guess am only a half a twat according to some. My goal now is to give up vaping as well.

BTW- Most studies that state that vaping is just as harmful as cigs are paid for by big tobacco on the down low. They have long arms.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Vaping helped me quit. I don't smoke in the States anymore. I vape here in Thailand when I am in the condo around the pool, or when upcountry as the BIB in Korat don't give a shit and vape themselves. I have seen a few National Park police out here on Koh Samet vaping away out in the open as well. I will have a cig here and there when out and about in the bars in Patts as I don't want to to get nicked for 20k. I am not one of those vapers that have the gear that expel a massive cloud of vapor so I guess am only a half a twat according to some. My goal now is to give up vaping as well.

BTW- Most studies that state that vaping is just as harmful as cigs are paid for by big tobacco on the down low. They have long arms.

The biggest problem with quitting smoking is that there is a instant cure for nicotine withdrawal that is too easy available...

Smoking another cigarette cures nicotine withdrawal instantly...lol 

Sure vaping can substitute for smoking 100% but before you know it your into the vaping gear arms race,to have the latest a greatest vaping gear around and same goes for the juice....Its endless really...lol

The reason Thai vapors always seem to be blowing the mega clouds is because for some strange reason almost all the juice sold in Thailand now days is 3mg nic or 6mg nic  which is very low,so you need the mega clouds to even get enough nic..........Before they use to sell juice 12mg  18mg  24mg so you only needed a little vape to get the nic you wanted....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1

7 minutes ago, fforest said:

The biggest problem with quitting smoking is that there a is instant cure for nicotine withdrawal too easy available...

Smoking another cigarette cures nicotine withdrawal instantly...lol 

Sure vaping can substitute for smoking 100% but before you know it your into the vaping gear arms race,to have the latest a greatest vaping gear around and same goes for the juice....Its endless really...lol

The reason Thai vapors always seem to be blowing the mega clouds is because for some strange reason almost all the juice sold in Thailand now days is 3mg nic or 6mg nic  which is very low,so you need the mega clouds to even get enough nic..........Before they use to sell juice 12mg  18mg  24mg so you only needed a little vape to get the nic you wanted....

It is not the best of ways to quit smoking I agree 100%. But I failed with everything else. Yes I am still putting nicotine in by bloodstream but minus a vast majority of the harmful carcinogens. I have been using the same gear for 3 years now and bring my own 18 mg juice from home in a Hawaiian Tropic bottle. Thailand is sitting on the idea of making it legal again, but the decision has been  a slow process. 

• Like 3

I also smoked for a long time and I really loved it. If it wasn't so friggin bad for the body I'd still be smoking. There was something about when they removed John Wayne's second lung that made me start to think that smoking just might not be good for me. So when I moved to Colorado I threw my last pack of Winstons out the car window just before the Colorado Arizona border. That was 1976 and I haven't picked them back up yet. But when I got to Durango it seemed that just about everybody used chewing tobacco. So I did start using chewing tobacco and that lasted for 20 years. I finally got off that by switching between the patch and the chewing gum. I loved the gum. I would pop 3 to 4 pieces in my mouth and drink my first cup of really hot coffee in the morning. The hot coffee would instantly dissolve the gum and I would get a great rush of nicotine that would give me a really good buzz to start the day. I'm such an additive personality that it cracks me up at times. At any given time I would have 2,3,4 patches on and I would be eating the gum like crazy and I thought this was perfectly normal. This lasted for about 10 years and then I ended up in the hospital with incredible stomach pains. The Docs kept asking me what I was doing that might cause these pains. Honest to God, not once did it occur to me that 20 pieces of gum a day could of been the cause. I'm such a schmuck at times.....   But that stay in the hospital got me off the gum and patches and I've been nicotine free for about 13 years now. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

and my advice to youngsters is DONT START.

and what do you think i told both my boys, i even gave them a financial incentive of 2000gbp on their 18th birthdays if they did'nt smoke. What did they do, took the 2K and then eventually started smoking (peer pressure i believe) but i'm glad to say they are no longer smoking. What i never ever did was smoke in the house......

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

I also smoked for a long time and I really loved it. If it wasn't so friggin bad for the body I'd still be smoking. There was something about when they removed John Wayne's second lung that made me start to think that smoking just might not be good for me. So when I moved to Colorado I threw my last pack of Winstons out the car window just before the Colorado Arizona border. That was 1976 and I haven't picked them back up yet. But when I got to Durango it seemed that just about everybody used chewing tobacco. So I did start using chewing tobacco and that lasted for 20 years. I finally got off that by switching between the patch and the chewing gum. I loved the gum. I would pop 3 to 4 pieces in my mouth and drink my first cup of really hot coffee in the morning. The hot coffee would instantly dissolve the gum and I would get a great rush of nicotine that would give me a really good buzz to start the day. I'm such an additive personality that it cracks me up at times. At any given time I would have 2,3,4 patches on and I would be eating the gum like crazy and I thought this was perfectly normal. This lasted for about 10 years and then I ended up in the hospital with incredible stomach pains. The Docs kept asking me what I was doing that might cause these pains. Honest to God, not once did it occur to me that 20 pieces of gum a day could of been the cause. I'm such a schmuck at times.....   But that stay in the hospital got me off the gum and patches and I've been nicotine free for about 13 years now. 

Well done mate 👍

Stopped on 28th November last year after many many attempts.

I used the product in the attached link along with nicotine patches. The patches I used for 4 weeks, 2 weeks 20mg and then 2 weeks 10mg.

The ePen I kept to a minimum,  it was used mainly for a nicotine hit.

I honestly believe a big part of stopping smoking is mind over matter, as it is for any addiction. 

https://www.govype.com/uk/e-cigarette-epen-starter-kit

Edited by Murchie
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a non smoker I do look at this often to keep me going and im now 8 months with out having touched a cigarette.

What happens after you quit smoking?

Timeline - Outlook

Cigarette smoking is one of the leading causes of preventable death in the United States, but quitting can be daunting.

Many fear it will take a long time to see improvements in health and well-being, but the timeline for seeing real benefits is faster than most people realize.

Health benefits begin in as little as an hour after the last cigarette and continue to improve.

Facts on quitting smoking:

Here are some key points about smoking cessation. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.

Quitting smoking means breaking the cycle of addiction and essentially rewiring the brain to stop craving nicotine.

To be successful, smokers that want to quit need to have a plan in place to beat cravings and triggers.

The benefits of quitting smoking begin in as little as 1 hour after the last cigarette.

The sooner a smoker quits, the faster they will reduce their risk of cancer, heart and lung disease, and other conditions related to smoking.

Timeline

Almost immediately after finishing a cigarette, the heart rate and blood pressure slowly return to normal.

The benefits are almost instant. As soon as a person stops smoking their body begins to recover in the following ways:

After 1 hour

In as little as 20 minutes after the last cigarette is smoked, the heart rate drops and returns to normal. Blood pressure begins to drop, and circulation may start to improve.

After 12 hours

Cigarettes contain a lot of known toxins including carbon monoxide, a gas present in cigarette smoke.

This gas can be harmful or fatal in high doses and prevents oxygen from entering the lungs and blood. When inhaled in large doses in a short time, suffocation can occur from lack of oxygen.

After just 12 hours without a cigarette, the body cleanses itself of the excess carbon monoxide from the cigarettes. The carbon monoxide level returns to normal, increasing the body's oxygen levels.

After 1 day

Just 1 day after quitting smoking, the risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

Smoking raises the risk of developing coronary heart disease by lowering good cholesterol, which makes heart-healthy exercise harder to do. Smoking also raises blood pressure and increases blood clots, increasing the risk of stroke.

In as little as 1 day after quitting smoking, a person's blood pressure begins to drop, decreasing the risk of heart disease from smoking-induced high blood pressure. In this short time, a person's oxygen levels will have risen, making physical activity and exercise easier to do, promoting heart-healthy habits.

After 2 days

Smoking damages the nerve endings responsible for the senses of smell and taste. In as little as 2 days after quitting, a person may notice a heightened sense of smell and more vivid tastes as these nerves heal.

After 3 days

3 days after quitting smoking, the nicotine levels in a person's body are depleted. While it is healthier to have no nicotine in the body, this initial depletion can cause nicotine withdrawal. Around 3 days after quitting, most people will experience moodiness and irritability, severe headaches, and cravings as the body readjusts.

After 1 month

In as little as 1 month, a person's lung function begins to improve. As the lungs heal and lung capacity improves, former smokers may notice less coughing and shortness of breath. Athletic endurance increases and former smokers may notice a renewed ability for cardiovascular activities, such as running and jumping.

After 1-3 months

For the next several months after quitting, circulation continues to improve.

After 9 months

Nine months after quitting, the lungs have significantly healed themselves. The delicate, hair-like structures inside the lungs known as cilia have recovered from the toll cigarette smoke took on them. These structures help push mucus out of the lungs and help fight infections.

Around this time, many former smokers notice a decrease in the frequency of lung infections because the healed cilia can do their job more easily.

After 1 year

The risk of heart disease will decrease by half after quitting smoking for 1 year, and arteries and blood vessels will begin to widen after 5 years.

One year after quitting smoking, a person's risk for coronary heart disease decreases by half. This risk will continue to drop past the 1-year mark.

After 5 years

Cigarettes contain many known toxins that cause the arteries and blood vessels to narrow. These same toxins also increase the likelihood of developing blood clots.

After 5 years without smoking, the body has healed itself enough for the arteries and blood vessels to begin to widen again. This widening means the blood is less likely to clot, lowering the risk of stroke.

The risk of stroke will continue to reduce over the next 10 years as the body heals more and more.

After 10 years

After 10 years, a person's chances of developing lung cancer and dying from it are roughly cut in half compared with someone who continues to smoke. The likelihood of developing mouth, throat, or pancreatic cancer has significantly reduced.

After 15 years

After 15 years of having quit smoking, the likelihood of developing coronary heart disease is the equivalent of a non-smoker. Similarly, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to the same level as a non-smoker.

After 20 years

After 20 years, the risk of death from smoking-related causes, including both lung disease and cancer, drops to the level of a person who has never smoked in their life. Also, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to that of someone who has never smoked.

Benefits

Smoking is a harmful habit that can lead to severe health complications and death. When a person quits smoking, the body will start to naturally heal and regain the vitality of a non-smoker over time.

Some effects, such as lowered blood pressure, are seen almost immediately. Other effects, such as risks of developing lung cancer, heart disease, and lung disease, take years to drop down to the levels of a non-smoker.

However, each year of not smoking decreases risks and improves overall health, making quitting smoking an excellent choice for anyone who started the habit.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

I am lucky that at age 14 I thought it cool to be seen smoking menthol cigarettes, I got caught by my mum one day and she told me I wasn't really smoking anyway, I was just puffing it out.  Mum made me smoke one of her filter tips and then inhale it which I did, I realised there and then when I was sick that this was not for me. I had never inhaled before and I have never since.

With booze it was different but when I had Hep A I was off the booze for a year, lost 2 stone and reduced my drinking after. No issue in stopping for that time as it was essentail for my well being to be off the booze to help repair my liver.

For me if I realised it was likely to be doing me harm and a doctor told me to stop boozing completely I would stop but it is nice to have a beer every so often and I keep within a good quota when out drinking. I have often said to friends that if a doctor told me to stop boozing I would.

Now I know for many it is different with smoking but then again if a doctor told me it was killing me or seriously making my life expectancy shorter I would stop right there and then.

I just think that many can't stop because they like it too much and when they weigh up the chances of dying or developing anything medically serious they just believe it won't happen to them.

If there was a test that could tell you that you will be dead in 2 years if you don't stop smoking how many would stop.

I had a heart problem and I was told that within 12 months to 2 years I would be dead if I didn't have the op, easy choice for me.

I know smoking is a very emotive subject but if you have the will and desire to improve your health surely it is worth moving heaven and earth to stop.

Disclaimer: Maybe a simple view from a non smoker.

• Like 3

I was brought up with smoking,my mum & dad both smoked in the house & my mum smoked whilst pregnant with me.

Fortunately although I smoked I never got hooked.I only ever smoked when I was drinking & in my early trips to Thailand it'd be those Thai menthol cigarettes.I would buy a pack when I went out at night & end up with a load of half empty packs in my hotel room.

In the end I got fed up with waking to a bad taste,sore throat & a hangover.I stopped smoking & the first two disappeared & I'm certain the hangovers got less severe.

Boozing is another story....

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well done and thanks, that looks interesting, i'll make some enquiries as to its availability here in Thailand.

Don't think you can get champix at least that's what boots told me.

local pharmacy gave me Quomem, but would only give me 2 blister packs 15 tablets in each pack, 1 a day for 3 days, 2 a day for 4 days, stopped on day 8 took 1 tablet a day till they were finished.

smoked 20> 30 a day for the last 40 odd years, been off them for 28 days now.

wasn't as bad as i thought it would be but its still early days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I found giving up the vaping harder than giving up the cigs, I think it was because I seemed to vape constantly, fags I was on 20 a day, I still miss both if I'm honest, but the craving soon passes.

• Like 2

Listening to an old disc jockey that is actually still around from back in the day here, he quit 20 years ago, he said he could easily light up a cigarette today no problem, but doesn't.

I am amazed and had no idea even after 20 years the craving is still there?  Wow.

Cliff, hope you can quit at some point. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 777D6030 said:

local pharmacy gave me Quomem, but would only give me 2 blister packs 15 tablets in each pack, 1 a day for 3 days, 2 a day for 4 days, stopped on day 8 took 1 tablet a day till they were finished.

Think that's also known as  Zyban , which didn't work for me ... although I may not have been ready mentally to quit , which is why I think I failed so many times .... after taking the Champix the smell of cigarettes put me off , which had never happened before

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Listening to an old disc jockey that is actually still around from back in the day here, he quit 20 years ago, he said he could easily light up a cigarette today no problem, but doesn't.

I am amazed and had no idea even after 20 years the craving is still there?  Wow.

Cliff, hope you can quit at some point. 

I've heard that so many times Mike from ex smokers, the craving might diminish but never goes away. I've had mates who would love to stand next to me just to get a whiff of smoke lol. One day in the not too distant future i'm gonna give it a crack to stop for good, i just need to get in the right frame of mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I used tried everything as well ,  was a pretty heavy smoker especially when drinking ....  Champix finally worked for me , haven't has a cigarette for ten years now 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

good luck 

10 hours ago, 777D6030 said:

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Think that's also known as  Zyban , which didn't work for me ... although I may not have been ready mentally to quit , which is why I think I failed so many times .... after taking the Champix the smell of cigarettes put me off , which had never happened before

I'm gonna try and get one of these drug treatments when i decide to give it another go, i've tried patches and vaping before without success.

But i need to get me head right first.....lol

2 hours ago, Binlid said:

If I had not managed to give them up there is no way I could of afforded to go on holiday toThailand in 2006 and meet the love of my life, Supaporn.

Great motivation to give up mate, well done, now if wifey was to say to me if i don't pack it in she'd be off i'd pack it in yesterday, but she knows how much i enjoy it and likes to see me happy. I like to think i'm a respectful smoker and do my best to keep it away from her, she's a committed non smoker now after giving it a try for a few months circa 8 years ago, now she just hates it.     

• Thumbs Up 1