I'm still smoking.....

Pumpuynarak

My $.02 on this subject. I hate cigarettes, I can smell the smoke a mile away, I’ve had 2 in my life, both when pissed, and just got this image of my lungs going black. Peer pressure or “stress” could never make me start this awful habit. But I don’t judge those who are hooked, like yourself, nicotine is a very addictive substance

I think however, at your age and how long you’ve smoked, if it gives you some pleasure as well, keep on smoking.

My grandfather, God bless him, quit cold turkey at around 65. He still rolled the tobacco for my grandma, and never smoked again. Within 5 years, he had the first of 4 strokes, the final one took him out at age 81. His son, my Dad, is on his 2nd go around quitting, I think it’s been 2 years now, no small feat when you’ve smoked since age 14. Saw my Dad in February, he has a bit of a limp, and he just got some bad news....COPD, a bit of emphysema, and an irregular heartbeat. He’s doing great for 73 and being a lifetime smoker/borderline alcoholic, and I’m happy I don’t have to smell the smoke when I visit. But I hope it’s not a huge shock to his system like I suspect it was with his father. His doctor had told him walking would be easier after quitting with better circulation in his legs, well I saw that’s not the case.

So maybe it sounds harsh, but I hope I explained myself properly. I do know for a fact that smoking + obesity is a surefire way to cut 10-20 years off your life. Been sitting north of 300 lbs for about 6 years now, and many websites have told me I should expect a heart attack by 55 if I smoked

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

nicotine is a very addictive substance

My doc in the UK told me getting off Heroin was easier than nicotine !!!

Trouble was GB smoking in the early 60's when i started was considered the thing to do, ya know fashionable and most were doing it with no constant reminders of the damage to your health and then we were hooked, nowadays there's no excuse for starting as all the info is out there.

• Like 1

Another thing Pump, whether you’re talking about life expectancy or athletic skill, never discount the importance of genetics. Some families just seem to live long lives having abused their bodies, while others have many members who took care of themselves and still dropped dead very young. Same thing with sports. I haven’t swung a golf club in 4 years, and gained lots of weight. I’ll probably shoot an honest 105 first time out, but let me play half a summer and I guarantee I’ll shoot a 75 or 76. I know guys who’ve played their whole lives, spend $3k on a club set, lessons, etc.....and can’t break 95

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

My doc in the UK told me getting off Heroin was easier than nicotine !!!

Trouble was GB smoking in the early 60's when i started was considered the thing to do, ya know fashionable and most were doing it with no constant reminders of the damage to your health and then we were hooked, nowadays there's no excuse for starting as all the info is out there.

Yes I believe I read the prevalence in my area is right around 1/6, whereas when you grew up it was closer to 50%. But.......many youth are still starting, which as you alluded to, just makes you shake your damn head. Why??????

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Another thing Pump, whether you’re talking about life expectancy or athletic skill, never discount the importance of genetics. Some families just seem to live long lives having abused their bodies, while others have many members who took care of themselves and still dropped dead very young. Same thing with sports. I haven’t swung a golf club in 4 years, and gained lots of weight. I’ll probably shoot an honest 105 first time out, but let me play half a summer and I guarantee I’ll shoot a 75 or 76. I know guys who’ve played their whole lives, spend $3k on a club set, lessons, etc.....and can’t break 95

Very very true, i've lost two life long mates in the last year, both never smoked or took drugs when younger, only ever drank socially and were fit guys as ex footballers who exercised regularly.

They're gone at age 62 and 66 and me aged 69 who has abused myself with all sorts of substances is still going, life is not fair ehh, i think i'm just lucky but that luck is going to run out eventually.

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Does it make me a hypocrite to hate cigarettes, but love a cigar and sheesha? Because that’s the truth

No it does'nt as long as you're only doing them infrequently, life is also about ENJOYING oneself, thats my take on it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Very very true, i've lost two life long mates in the last year, both never smoked or took drugs when younger, only ever drank socially and were fit guys as ex footballers who exercised regularly.

They're gone at age 62 and 66 and me aged 69 who has abused myself with all sorts of substances is still going, life is not fair ehh, i think i'm just lucky but that luck is going to run out eventually.

Keith Richards is still doing OK.....

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

After 15 years

After 15 years of having quit smoking, the likelihood of developing coronary heart disease is the equivalent of a non-smoker. Similarly, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to the same level as a non-smoker.

Haha, never smoked but they stopped smoking in pubs in OZ in 2006 so I am well on the way to recovery. 🙂 The stench of my clothes after a night in the pub was unbelievable, but that was just part of drinking. 😅

9 hours ago, rhodie said:

Haha, never smoked but they stopped smoking in pubs in OZ in 2006 so I am well on the way to recovery. 🙂 The stench of my clothes after a night in the pub was unbelievable, but that was just part of drinking. 😅

Yeah smoking was pretty much acceptable before the laws were brought in, much nicer now in a pub without.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well Cliff, here is what made me stop smoking.. 

Finding out last October i had lung cancer also in my chest, going down to my lower organs and up into my brain with less than a 5% to 4% chance to make here today.

i've been thru hell mate and i've lost a third of my body mass and i've just had two running of pneumonia and by rights mate I shouldn't be alive.

Now, I would be the last person to tell any one on what to do or to pack in smoking but maybe if you read my thread and this post may make you stop smoking...

• Like 5
  • Great Info 1

It's like anything else, be it nicotine, alcohol, heroin or crack.

If you really want to stop, I mean really, really want to stop, for yourself, not being cajoled by or doing it for someone else, then you will stop.

If you don't really want to, then you won't, or maybe will for a short while and start again.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Gave up 2 days after my 21st birthday so been clean for 10 years ..............

OK 40+ years ............. hate the bloody things because my dad big Paddy loved fags and was never healthy .......

I'll throw red wine over you tomorrow if you reach for one if that would help :default_drink:

Edited by nampla69
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

Finding out last October i had lung cancer also in my chest, going down to my lower organs and up into my brain with less than a 5% to 4% chance to make here today.

i've been thru hell mate and i've lost a third of my body mass and i've just had two running of pneumonia and by rights mate I shouldn't be alive.

Now, I would be the last person to tell any one on what to do or to pack in smoking but maybe if you read my thread and this post may make you stop smoking...

That should be enough for anybody mate, WELL DONE and the reason why i did'nt read your thread was cos i did'nt want to give up, i got me head in the sand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

Mate reading your thread really hit home for me and had me thinking "That could be me"

• Thumbs Up 1

When I was young my dad found a packet of cigarettes hidden in the cupboard and he said

if it was me or brother you have my permission to smoke but you're wasting money.He was

in the RN and got tobacco in tins cheap as chips.Best thing he said to me.I was 13 at the

time.Stopped me from smoking.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Murchie said:

Mate reading your thread really hit home for me and had me thinking "That could be me"

Yes mate it could happen to any of us... 

My grand father drank and smoked unfiltered cigs until he was 86 and he got to the stage he couldn't walk no more and he stopped drinking and smoking at 87 and shortly after he died. 

I think he had a cracking innings, deep down inside me maybe i was thinking this will be me too or hoping it would be me.. 

Wishful thinking in my behalf.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Yes mate it could happen to any of us... 

My grand father drank and smoked unfiltered cigs until he was 86 and he got to the stage he couldn't walk no more and he stopped drinking and smoking at 87 and shortly after he died. 

I think he had a cracking innings, deep down inside me maybe i was thinking this will be me too or hoping it would be me.. 

Wishful thinking in my behalf.... 

So true what you say because across many forums you hear from guys (guys who are fit, well they think so anyway) that just say to go out and enjoy yourself and live the hard life because we will all die one day and nobody is telling me what to do.. The thing is a lot of these guys do die one day and that day is much sooner than expected.  A lot of these same guys will end up regretting their lifestyle when it becomes too late and would yearn for a return to a time when they could have made a wiser decision.

As for having a great life, we can all have a great life but at the same time taking care of one's body can be part of that life, a prolonged life. I don't take drugs, smoke or drink heavily yet I am as happy as I could possibly be. There are even guys here whose testimony is that they lived the hard life and woke up one day realising that it could kill them so changed their lifestyle and they are reaping the benefits of a full life as well as probably a longer one and their families are happy for them too.

Yes there are guys who will smoke, take drugs, burn the candle at both ends and live to a ripe old age but they are probably in the minority, many will not have that luck despite talking about how great it is to live that way.  Again we seem to admire guys whose lives seem outside the box or glamorous yet we don't seem surprised if they fall off a stool and are dead before they hit the ground. Yes we say they had a great life but maybe if they could wake up again they would tell you they didn't see it that way and would give anything to get back up on that stool again.

Of course life is about choices, they do define us but they could also shorten our lives or prolong it. As I have said before this is not a rehearsal for our second innings, it is a one time deal and we should take care of our health above all other considerations.

As Jimi Hendrix said “I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.”, that worked well for him. Then again he could have chosen that day to die but somehow i doubt it.

Disclaimer: What I say sounds easy and I appreciate it isn't but when things point strongly towards a reduction in our lifespan it may be a good time to have a reality check.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

25rh March 2019 I stubbed out my last smoke and went cold turkey AND it was easy. Why was it now easy when I had failed so many times before? Because this time I really wanted to. Not one more. I could go next door and scrounge a smoke when I smell the neighbours out having a fag and on previous attempts I probably would have. But this time my thinking is different, I’m at a good party right now, Thai Wife’s friends 40th , live band and lots of drunk Thai women, and plenty of smokes getting handed about, but I am not even tempted. I’m bored because I have a 90 minute drive home so not drinking. Too easy to have just one smoke. But that is bullshit, there is not one more smoke, if I wanted a smoke I would go to the tobacconist and buy a carton and a new lighter and ash tray , any thought of having a smoke has just evaporated. 

Ling

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Khun Ling said:

25rh March 2019 I stubbed out my last smoke and went cold turkey AND it was easy. Why was it now easy when I had failed so many times before? Because this time I really wanted to. Not one more. I could go next door and scrounge a smoke when I smell the neighbours out having a fag and on previous attempts I probably would have. But this time my thinking is different, I’m at a good party right now, Thai Wife’s friends 40th , live band and lots of drunk Thai women, and plenty of smokes getting handed about, but I am not even tempted. I’m bored because I have a 90 minute drive home so not drinking. Too easy to have just one smoke. But that is bullshit, there is not one more smoke, if I wanted a smoke I would go to the tobacconist and buy a carton and a new lighter and ash tray , any thought of having a smoke has just evaporated. 

Ling

Yep the same as me... people ask me if I miss smoking and "Ho Yes I Do" but for a few minutes than it doesn't bother me any more......

When smokers are around me I keep my head down and move away from anyone smoking and i'm good again... i find its the best way for me to deal with it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Yep the same as me... people ask me if I miss smoking and "Ho Yes I Do" but for a few minutes than it doesn't bother me any more......

When smokers are around me I keep my head down and move away from anyone smoking and i'm good again... i find its the best way for me to deal with it.

I could easily light up again, but don't, as you just said, you want one and then a few minutes and it passes, you then think back a wanted a fag 1/2hour ago now I dont.