I'm still smoking.....

Pumpuynarak

Just found this on the World wide web...

Clever Tips For Quitting Smoking Once & For All

There are numerous reasons why it makes sense not to smoke, yet many people find it difficult to quit the habit. The nicotine is the problem, as smokers experience withdrawal symptoms only a few hours after their last cigarette. It's therefore extremely tough to beat the addiction, but we've come up with 8 tips that'll make giving up a little easier. Hopefully, your "final cigarette" will actually be your last...

1. Set A Date

Whether it's the start of a new year or in the middle of the week, people who want to stop smoking should set a date on which to officially quit. Having a quitting date can help you mentally with the withdrawal process and motivate you to build on your smoking-free days.

2. Write A List Of Reasons

SaveBored Panda15arsmediaDies & Das

Once the date is set, it makes sense to think about the reasons why you want to stop. Whether it's to save some money or for your health, write these reasons down and take a look at the list every time you get the urge to smoke. This should help you stay on the right path.

3. Identify Triggers

To be able to quite smoking in the long-term, it's necessary to identify key triggers. In which situations do you reach for the cigarettes? Parties and alcohol are the most common triggers. In the future, you should try to avoid situations that you connect with smoking and replace them with positive habits.

4. Think About The Savings

Another common reason for quitting is the money you can save. We recommend coming up with a plan for what to do with the savings. A short break somewhere? New clothes? You should treat yourself for showing such great discipline! You can work out how much money you'll save using this online calculator.

5. Distract Yourself From Urges

The urge for a cigarette usually lasts for about 5 minutes. That's why it's a good idea to think of 5-minute strategies to fill this time instead of reaching for the smokes. For example, you could listen to your favorite song, snack on some fruit or take a stroll until the urge to smoke goes away.

6. Get Active

Being active has many benefits. As well as providing distraction from lighting up, exercise does a lot for your health in general. Doing sports will also help combat any unwanted weight gain, which is a common side effect of quitting smoking.

7. Spend Time With Non-Smokers

Spending time with friends who don't smoke can help a lot during the withdrawal process. If you're often seeing people with a cigarette in their hand, you're more likely to want one. It might also be worth asking friends who smoke to refrain from doing so while they're in your company. Another tactic is to give up smoking with a friend — a problem shared is a problem halved!

8. Use Nicotine Gum & Patches

When it comes to withdrawal symptoms, the beginning is always the hardest part. As the nicotine levels in your blood sink, you may feel more nervous, irritable and hungry than usual. In this instance, it may be best to try nicotine gum and patches, so that your body is slowly weened off the drug.

Quitting smoking is far from easy. But if you manage to beat the habit, you can improve your way of life and make some considerable savings. Though some of these tricks might not work for you, it's certainly worth giving them a try!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

4. Think About The Savings

Another common reason for quitting is the money you can save. We recommend coming up with a plan for what to do with the savings. A short break somewhere? New clothes? You should treat yourself for showing such great discipline! You can work out how much money you'll save using this online calculator.

I now save 6,500 USD (5,400 GPD) per year by not smoking. I have used the extra cash to help payoff my condo. My mortgage will paid in full way before 2022 when I retire. I want to be debt free when I live abroad 10 months a year. Going to let my nephew live in the condo at a very low rental price. (Very low)

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I now save 6,500 USD (5,400 GPD) per year by not smoking. I have used the extra cash to help payoff my condo. My mortgage will paid in full way before 2022 when I retire. I want to be debt free when I live abroad 10 months a year. Going to let my nephew live in the condo at a very low rental price. (Very low)

Sensible man mate, ya got a plan, a bloody good one at that. Trouble for me is a pack of Camel here in Thailand is 60bht, fat chance i got of the cost being a motivating factor lol, but i know countless friends/family in the UK who packed it in based on the cost and what they can do with the dosh they've saved.

• Like 1

Lung Cancer and COPD Turned This Person’s Lungs Completely Black

This shocking Facebook post highlights just how dangerous smoking is.

We’ve all been told over and over that smoking is bad for us. And the public campaigns have worked: the CDC says the rate of adult cigarette smokers in the US went down from just shy of 21% in 2005 to 14% 12 years later in 2017.

But if the stats—cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States—don’t scare you enough, maybe a visual of the damage that cigarette smoking can do will convince you of the danger of cigarettes.

Last month, Facebook user Amanda Eller posted video footage showcasing how diseased lungs function in contrast to healthy lungs.

“Cancerous, 1 pack per day for 20 years lungs versus healthy lungs. Still wanna smoke?” she wrote on Facebook.

In the shocking footage, you can tell how much more difficult it is to keep the cancerous lungs pumping.

The person who the diseased lungs belonged to had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as well as cancer. COPD, an inflammatory lung disease, causes the airflow coming from your lungs to be obstructed. Difficulty breathing, coughing, wheezing, and mucus production are all symptoms of COPD.

COPD is caused by exposure to particulate matter or gases that irritate the body. Usually, the condition is caused by exposure to cigarette smoke over a long period of time.

COPD causes the lungs to lose their natural elasticity, which allows you to take a deep breath. The lungs of a person with COPD overexpand, causing air to get trapped in the lungs when the person exhales.

Cigar smoke; pipe smoke; secondhand smoke; and workplace exposure to fumes, dust, and smoke can all cause COPD, which develops over years. Most people who develop the disease are 40 years old, at the least, when their symptoms begin.

RELATED: 15 Ways Smoking Ruins Your Looks

Additionally, if a smoker develops COPD before they develop lung cancer, they increase their chances of having lung cancer. But if they stop smoking, they can decrease this risk, Mayo Clinic says.

Quitting smoking is the “most essential” part of treating COPD, Mayo Clinic explains. Giving up cigarettes is the only way to stop COPD from advancing. Mayo Clinic recommends asking your doctor about potentially using nicotine replacement products that might prevent a relapse if you have decided to give up smoking.

While adults in the US aren’t smoking nearly as much as they used to, we still have a ways to go before we’ve educated everyone on the risks of smoking, even just socially.

According to CDC data, in 2017, of every 100 adults in the US, 14 smoked cigarettes. This equates to an estimated 34.3 million people—not including children—smoking cigarettes. This isn’t inconsequential: In America, more than 16 million people have a disease related to smoking.

RELATED: 97 Reasons to Quit Smoking

• Great Info 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:29 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

One day in the not too distant future i'm gonna give it a crack to stop for good, i just need to get in the right frame of mind. 

Well i'm off to see me doc on Tuesday for me 3 month diabetes T2 check up and i'm gonna have a chat with him about quitting, he keeps telling me to quit so he'll be happy i'm finally gonna give it a try. I'm gonna ask him about the meds you guys have kindly recco'd Champix, Quomem and Zyban and take it from there, i know wifey will be happy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i'm off to see me doc on Tuesday for me 3 month diabetes T2 check up and i'm gonna have a chat with him about quitting, he keeps telling me to quit so he'll be happy i'm finally gonna give it a try. I'm gonna ask him about the meds you guys have kindly recco'd Champix, Quomem and Zyban and take it from there, i know wifey will be happy.

Well i saw a doc but he's not my regular as he's moved on to pastures new so rather than ask him (i have no relationship with him) to prescribe the meds recco'd (i believe their controlled) wifey said why don't we just go to my regular Siam pharmacy where they know me and wifey well and just ask them to supply, see what their reaction is and take it from there, if they refuse i'll go back to the doc for a prescription.

Just updating the thread guys, it may be useful to others.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i saw a doc but he's not my regular as he's moved on to pastures new so rather than ask him (i have no relationship with him) to prescribe the meds recco'd (i believe their controlled) wifey said why don't we just go to my regular Siam pharmacy where they know me and wifey well and just ask them to supply, see what their reaction is and take it from there, if they refuse i'll go back to the doc for a prescription.

Just updating the thread guys, it may be useful to others.

Good luck. 

If you really, really want to do it, you will, irrespective of getting the script to help or not.

Though like Tesco's, very little helps ...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

To come back on this, I am absolutely shocked by the number of people who's first move when waking up in the early morning is to ligthen up a cigarette.

I see it here at the resort I am living, with the passing tourists. I am on my terrass at 06.45 having breakfast, and I see plenty of them between 7 and 8 am, coming out on their terrass and ligthen up. Next step is usually a cup of coffee.

And this all ages included, although maybe less the younger (under 35) generation. 

For the body health, this must be one of the worst things ?

Just now there are 2 women, age 55 / 60, just came out 30 min ago, sit down and both ligthen a cigarette. Next is nose in their phone....🙄🙄🙄

Feck me, yes it happened that I opened a beer or had a JD at 07.00 am, but thats exceptional, and certainly not as bad as a cigarette ? 🤔🤔

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

To come back on this, I am absolutely shocked by the number of people who's first move when waking up in the early morning is to ligthen up a cigarette.

I see it here at the resort I am living, with the passing tourists. I am on my terrass at 06.45 having breakfast, and I see plenty of them between 7 and 8 am, coming out on their terrass and ligthen up. Next step is usually a cup of coffee.

And this all ages included, although maybe less the younger (under 35) generation. 

For the body health, this must be one of the worst things ?

Just now there are 2 women, age 55 / 60, just came out 30 min ago, sit down and both ligthen a cigarette. Next is nose in their phone....🙄🙄🙄

Feck me, yes it happened that I opened a beer or had a JD at 07.00 am, but thats exceptional, and certainly not as bad as a cigarette ? 🤔🤔

Do you understand "addiction" ? lol My doc in the UK once told me when i was discussing packing in that nicotine was more addictive than heroin but as i've never taken heroin i could'nt compare.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Khun Ling said:

Over 5 months now with not so much as a puff. But I’m getting fat. Still don’t miss the evil weed

Stick with it, you have my best wishes and support. Getting fat is i understand a by product of quitting as food tastes so much better, but what do i know ?

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Do you understand "addiction" ? lol My doc in the UK once told me when i was discussing packing in that nicotine was more addictive than heroin but as i've never taken heroin i could'nt compare.

People who have never smoked have no idea about nicotine addiction. It's like talking to a statue of a high horse. I don't even bother.:default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

People who have never smoked have no idea about nicotine addiction. It's like talking to a statue of a high horse. I don't even bother.:default_biggrin:

and some of the worse ones are the reformed ex smokers, i give em a massive swerve, intolerable people imo

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

I smoked over a pack a day for more than forty years. Gave myself a reason and stopped. No weaning down, no patches, gums or sprays, no vaping. That was over 5 years ago.

As mentioned a number of times on this thread. If you want to stop, you can.

and some of the worse ones are the reformed ex smokers, i give em a massive swerve, intolerable people imo

I'm an ex-smoker and haven't lectured anybody. Well not until now.

Edited by fygjam
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I smoked over a pack a day for more than forty years. Gave myself a reason and stopped. No weaning down, no patches, gums or sprays, no vaping. That was over 5 years ago.

I'm an ex-smoker and haven't lectured anybody. Well not until now.

I've tried every thing known to man over the years to try and quit, once just cold turkey for 3 days not long after arriving in Thailand, i was a physical wreck, shivering/trembling in tropical heat and totally disorientated, me mates begged me to start again which i duly did.

Now i'm gonna hopefully try something different, drugs to beat the drug lol  

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I smoked 2 packs give or take of Marlboro Reds for damn near 40 years as well. I quit for the money aspect vs. health. It did my doctor's head in when I told him that. But I quit nevertheless. I only tell smokers what has been echoed on this thread- you have to want to. Smokers don't want to hear a bunch of statistics or see horrid photos or listen to lectures. When they want to quit, they will.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Steelers4Life said:

I smoked 2 packs give or take of Marlboro Reds for damn near 40 years as well. I quit for the money aspect vs. health. It did my doctor's head in when I told him that. But I quit nevertheless. I only tell smokers what has been echoed on this thread- you have to want to. Smokers don't want to hear a bunch of statistics or see horrid photos or listen to lectures. When they want to quit, they will.

Bingo and thats the problem, i don't want to but need to if i want a chance at longevity in life.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Same, same.

I came back from living in Thailand and my $AU2 per pack L&Ms weren't around anymore. It was more like $AU22 per pack whatever I smoked.

The health benefits were secondary. I'm still waiting for the wonder.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Same, same.

I came back from living in Thailand and my $AU2 per pack L&Ms weren't around anymore. It was more like $AU22 per pack whatever I smoked.

The health benefits were secondary. I'm still waiting for the wonder.

I hear ya! The price per pack in Thailand offers no incentive to quit monetarily. I am noticing the health benefits now after 3 years, but feel a bit ashamed of the damage I have probably done. But I am not smoking anymore. So, who knows maybe I am adding on a few years to my life. Time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1