Sign in to follow this  
247 NEWS

Online petition calling for TM30 to be scrapped gains momentum

Online petition calling for TM30 to be scrapped gains momentum

Thai-Visa-1170x724.jpg.3973910ea38aeb1f82eb0f7cc534a53d.jpg

Thousands of expats are backing a petition calling for Thailand’s Immigration Bureau to scrap the controversial TM.30 reporting requirement.

The petition, which has been launched by a group of Isaan based expats, can be found at https://reform-thai-immigration.com/.

At the time of posting, the petition had already secured support from more than 3,400 people.

The aim is to get 10,000 people to sign the petition. Once the target is reached a letter will  be sent to the Prime Minister of Thailand, the Head of the Immigration Division of Thailand and Head of the Foreign Affairs. 

The petition was launched following growing discontent amongst the expat community in Thailand regarding the now strict implementation of Article 37 of the Immigration Act.

While Article 37 is not a new requirement, it was seldom enforced in previous years. However, it has recently become the subject of strict enforcement by some immigration offices in Thailand.

Article 37 requires any foreigner who stays in Thailand to report to immigration whenever they stay at a different address for more than 24 hours.

“There are 77 provinces in Thailand. This means if a foreign teacher lives in Buriram and decides to spend a weekend in Surin, on Monday morning, he can't teach. He must report to immigration. Even if he stays with his wife and children, and the landlord (his wife) must also report to immigration with a form TM30,” reads the petition website. 

“Up until 2018 the use of form TM30 has never been strictly enforced. But now foreigners and Thai people are being fined for not having filed the form TM30 on returning to their home address following a weekend in another province. This reporting also applies to tourists but it is the duty of the hotels to report these foreigners to immigration,” the website states.

After the petition was launched last month it has already been featured in major news outlets in Thailand and overseas, including Thaivisa.com, The Thaiger, Bangkok Post and The Phuket News. Popular Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow is also championing the cause. 

For more information visit: https://reform-thai-immigration.com/

Posted (edited)

Not an easy task with a PM and his sidekicks who are deuu maak maak. But best of luck. 

"Thailand ~improving Western farang tourism and a home for future expats in Vietnam one day at a time."

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Not sure I would put my name to anything which goes against the essence of how immigration laws are carried out, might find somebody visiting me to check my documents more regularly or worse.

That thought occurred to me as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are some people so stupid as to think the Thai authorities will stop the requirement,  please,  they are just placing a big bullseye their foreheads.

JDM

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The leaders of this are likely to find Persona non grata quickly entering their passports

• Great Info 1

I can report that while people are posting that getting a Residence Certificate requires a TM-30 receipt, I was still able to get a Residence Certificate at Jomtien without the TM-30 (as I'm on a retirement extension).    So for now the goal of the petition has been met for those of us using Jomtien.    I hope that lasts..

On 8/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, 247 NEWS said:

Article 37 requires any foreigner who stays in Thailand to report to immigration whenever they stay at a different address for more than 24 hours.

Somewhat similar to "parole" in the States when a prisoner is released and must abide by not leaving his/her general area without permission.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, johnpat said:

I can report that while people are posting that getting a Residence Certificate requires a TM-30 receipt, I was still able to get a Residence Certificate at Jomtien without the TM-30 (as I'm on a retirement extension).    So for now the goal of the petition has been met for those of us using Jomtien.    I hope that lasts..

Good to hear, hopefully its the same for those on employment extensions.

6 hours ago, JDM said:

Are some people so stupid as to think the Thai authorities will stop the requirement,  please,  they are just placing a big bullseye their foreheads.

Their foreheads or their behinds? I'd say the latter as target for the foot kicking them out of the country.

12 hours ago, RR007 said:

The leaders of this are likely to find Persona non grata quickly entering their passports

I believe the instigator has permanent Thai residency.

• Like 1

Yes, think I read the same. Fluent Thai speaker, well connected as well. 

9 hours ago, biggles said:

Yes, think I read the same. Fluent Thai speaker, well connected as well. 

Yep correct, i know him personally. 

Yeah, he gave a full report on Thai Visa of his meeting with some Immigration bigwig and it all sounded quite positive.

Of course, it might all the smoke and mirrors, and even in well-run countries in the west it can take years to pass the legislation needed to change things significantly, so I wouldn't plan my retirement on things getting clearer, simpler or easier.

Richard Barrow has been a fairly vocal supporter of this petition.... and now is having issue with renewing his extension !!

https://www.facebook.com/richard.thailand/posts/2344307395605102

Not the best of days for me. As you may remember, today was the day for me to go back to Samut Prakan Immigration to hear the verdict as to whether my application to stay in Thailand for another year has been approved. This is something I have to go through every year. I arrived at Immigration, only to be told that Bangkok hasn’t approved my application yet. As my visa extension expires today, they kindly extended my stay for one more week. They said I should return next Friday to hear the verdict of my application.

I went back to work only to find an Immigration Police vehicle outside the place where I work. Turns out they had come down from Chaengwattana in Bangkok to question me. They had my application with them which explained why Samut Prakan Immigration hadn’t received the verdict yet. They didn’t give any indication as to whether there was a problem or whether they were happy with the inspection. They just said I have to wait seven days to hear the outcome. The worst case scenario is that they will refuse my visa extension and then they will kick me out of the country.

In the ThaiVisa report he mentioned a follow up presentation was to be made to some Chamber of Commerce or something similar.  That's now been done and the speaker there contradicted a lot of what had been said by Korat Immigration so there's still no clarity or consistency.

Well, at least it has some responce.  Everything is fine.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/08/16/police-spokesman-incompetent-immigration-cops-will-be-punished/

POLICE SPOKESMAN: INCOMPETENT IMMIGRATION COPS WILL BE PUNISHED

Read the whole article..... and try not to laugh !

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, at least it has some responce.  Everything is fine.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2019/08/16/police-spokesman-incompetent-immigration-cops-will-be-punished/

POLICE SPOKESMAN: INCOMPETENT IMMIGRATION COPS WILL BE PUNISHED

Read the whole article..... and try not to laugh !

Better border control is the answer to this, once in the Kingdom the traveling from one province to another should not be hindered by red tape.

Those on tourist visas and staying in hotels are immune to this problem,  it is those expats who have filed all the necessary evidence (and endured red tape) to allow long term entry to the country that should be allowed free travel without hindrance as they have already established their credentials at the border or in the many immigration offices countrywide.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sign in to follow this