Sign in to follow this  
fforest

Indian Restaurants in Pattaya- Leave Me Scratching My Head?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Arrivals by Nationality in Thailand for the year 2018 rounded off.....

China 10,500,000

South Korea and Japan  3,400,000

USA and the UK and Australia and Canada  3,200,000

Germany and Italy and France  1,930,000

India  1,600,000

Russia 1,500,000

Ok lets look at the number of restaurants in Pattata that are oriented towards  different nationalities.....

The Chinese and South Koreans and Japanese are the largest group of tourist at 13,900,000 people a year in Thailand.

Chinese and South Korean and Japanese restaurants .....

Considering these nationalities have the most tourist numbers you would expect for there to be a lot of these restaurants in Pattaya.....And there are....Not so many in the streets but tons in the malls.....Just as a rough guess I would say there are probably at least 200 to 300+  of Chinese and South Koreans and Japanese restaurants in Pattaya.....

Who eats at these restaurants?.....Well #1 are the Chinese and South Koreans and Japanese but pretty much all nationalities eat at them..The  Thais love the hell out of them, the farang numbers are less but plenty of farangs do eat at these restaurants and the Indians are in very short supply at these restaurants......

So because of the huge numbers of Chinese ,South Koreans and Japanese plus the Thais and farangs its no surprise at all these China, South Korea and Japan  restaurants are well supported......

The USA, UK , Australia and Canadians, This is the 2nd largest group of tourist at 3,200,000 people a year in Thailand. 

Just to make this easy lets just call any restaurant that serves predominately English food a English pub....Also all fast food McDonalds Burger King etc are excluded.... ......I will also throw in the steak houses  here too and Top end hamburgers joints...

Again this is only a guess and because we have had some English pub closing recently this will knock my guess down a little but I would guess about 75+? English restaurants in Pattaya give or take....

Who eats at the English restaurants?.....#1 would be all English speaking farangs #2 would be all the rest of the Europeans and a fair amount of Russians..The Thai women seem happy enough to eat here as long as they are not paying...lol.....But Thais eating on their own here are in short supply.... The Chinese and South Koreans and Japaneese might eat here on occasion as a one off but I dont get the feeling they make a habit out of it.......And the Indians are again in very short supply.... 

So even though this is the 2nd largest group of tourist who did spend very freely for the last 2 decades until the recent decline in the exchange rates they were only able to support about 75+? give or take restaurants...These are just rough guesses...

Germany and Italy and France  at 1,930,000 is the 3rd largest group of tourist.....There are a number of German and Italian and French restaurants in Pattaya.....I am not sure exactly how many but if I had to take a  guess I would say again about 75+?  give or take.....Its hard to give a exact number because some restaurants serve many kinds of food...

The German , Italian , French ,USA , UK , Australia and Canadian restaurants have kind of the same kind of customers.....Combine  the 5,100,000 The German and Italian , French , USA , UK , Australia and Canadian tourist and they can support about 150+? give or take restaurants pretty well......

Next lets take the Russians....The Russia have 1,500,000 tourist a year 100,000 less than the Indians......I personally do not know of any Russian restaurants in Pattaya but I think their are some in Jomtien...I am sure there is not a lot of them but lets just say there are 10-20 Russian restaurants in Pattaya.... 

Next lets take the Indians......Up util about the year 2011 Pattaya had what I would consider a normal number of Indian restaurants for a city of Pattayas size.....In the year 2011  900,000 Indians came as tourist to Thailand.....I do not know exactly how many Indian restaurants Pattaya had in 2011 but if I had to take a wild guess I would guess about 30-40....Quite a few really but nothing crazy.....Plenty to support the 900,000 Indian tourist plus the farangs that wanted Indian food.....

Then around 2012 more Indian restaurants started to open and then more and then more and more and then an absolute  avalanche of Indian restaurants began sprouting like mushrooms in Pattaya.... Now I would guess (this is a very rough count I have made) there has to be a minimum of at least 250-260 Indian restaurants in Pattaya.....I know this may sound like a crazy number but there may actually be a lot more I am just to lazy to get a more exact number...

So in 2011 when Thailand had 900,000 Indian tourist, 30-40 Indian restaurants were enough to handle the demand but in 2018 with just 700,000 more Indian tourist in Thailand Pattaya now needs 250-260 Indian restaurants??? And more keep opening all the time???

And who is eating at these Indian restaurants?.....Well I have NEVER seen a Thai eating in a Indian restaurant ever NOT ONE.....Except maybe a few Thai women who were dragged in by farangs....I also recall seeing virtually zero  Chinese , South Koreans or Japaneese in Indian restaurants......Once in a blue moon you will see a farang in a Indian restaurant but not very often ...... So basically your left with just the Indians eating at the Indian restaurants and not even all of them because the Indian restaurants are expensive in Pattaya so Indians on a tight budget could not even afford it.......

So in summary we have...... 

13,900,000  Chinese and South Koreans and Japaneese plus the Thais and farangs   supporting about 200 to 300+ Chinese ,South Korean and Japaneese restaurants pretty well...

5,100,000  German, Italian, French ,USA, UK , Australia and Canadians  supporting about give or take about 150+? restaurants pretty well......

1,500,000  Russians supporting 10-20 restaurants ...

And wait for it......Drum roll.......

1,600,000 Indians supporting  250-260 Indian restaurants in Pattaya with almost ZERO help from any other nationality???

Conclusion......1,600,000 Indians can not support  250-260 Indian restaurants in Pattaya its impossible....100% 1000% impossible...Yet some how the Indian restaurants stay open and more keep opening all the time...?????????????  Hell there may be lots more Indian restaurants in a few years time if they forever keep opening new ones....

• Like 3

The old rupee gets a bit grubby after a while and large notes not easy to come by anymore ........ so a nice rinse and dry tumble while having an onion bhaji, two poppadoms and king prawn bhuna ....

...out they pop all lovely and clean in another denomination. A miracle of modern science ....... :default_bbq:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nampla69 said:

The old rupee gets a bit grubby after a while and large notes not easy to come by anymore ........ so a nice rinse and dry tumble while having an onion bhaji, two poppadoms and king prawn bhuna ....

...out they pop all lovely and clean in another denomination. A miracle of modern science ....... :default_bbq:

yep....

Most of them laundrymats.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fforest said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Arrivals by Nationality in Thailand for the year 2018 rounded off.....

Could you give the source of your figures, please. It is not the Wiki link you provide.

And how are you taking account of visitors from Malaysia, please? They are usually the second largest group.

Patts is the perfect place for laundrettes.. lots of cash businesses .. when I was working , funds originating from Thailand were always viewed as highly suspicious ... although I believe Thailand was removed from the blacklist a couple of years ago ..

Edited by Stillearly

9 hours ago, Bazle said:

Could you give the source of your figures, please. It is not the Wiki link you provide.

And how are you taking account of visitors from Malaysia, please? They are usually the second largest group.

Well like I already said many times a lot of the numbers are just my observations with some help with TripAdvisor restaurant  reviews... Getting exact numbers for restaurants is a almost impossible task.....The Indian restaurant number I know that one to be the most accurate because I have done some rough counts of them myself....

Malaysians dont really open many Malaysian restaurants in Thailand do they? So I just left them out.....

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Well like I already said many times a lot of the numbers are just my observations with some help with TripAdvisor restaurant  reviews... Getting exact numbers for restaurants is a almost impossible task.....The Indian restaurant number I know that one to be the most accurate because I have done some rough counts of them myself....

Malaysians dont really open many Malaysian restaurants in Thailand do they? So I just left them out.....

I was really asking about the 2018 tourist arrivals.

5 hours ago, fforest said:

sounds fair enough to me 

19 hours ago, fforest said:

And who is eating at these Indian restaurants?.....Well I have NEVER seen a Thai eating in a Indian restaurant ever NOT ONE.....

So did you go inside to eat or just count the number of Thais who weren't there?

I used to eat in or get take away at Ahaar reasonable regularly before it closed.

43 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Shit hitting the fan now in Kashmir. Maybe soon there will be a few more of them there.

I travelled all over there in 1979 with an American mate half the time from Lake Tahoe.

One of the most beautiful places on earth and Ladakh had literally just opened up. One of the first Westerners in there Buddhist region like Tibet. Also hiked up to the Amaranth caves.

This was just before one of the greatest pieces of shite that has ever crawled the earth returned to Iran ...... the Ayatollah Khomeini and stirred up now what is 40 years of pure hatred for Muslims towards the West and now exactly the same from our side.

When I was there nothing but kindness and welcoming Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists  ......... it was simply wonderful back then and Srinagar Lake and the houseboats kingfishers everywhere and lotus flowers. Little did I know what that scumbag Khomeini would unleash and he was a Shiite. 

Peace :default_bellyemoticon:

• Great Info 1

The wee gaff off soi diana isn't bad. I can't remember the name of it. I love Indian grub but it's relatively expensive in Belfast for a decent one.

19 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

The wee gaff off soi diana isn't bad. I can't remember the name of it. I love Indian grub but it's relatively expensive in Belfast for a decent one.

little india...had very good and no so good there...avoid the pompadoms..could be props in "Independence Day"

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to be a fantastic vegetarian one in Bangkok lower Sukhumvit. Near Soi 5 .....

all sorts of signs and commendations up ..... Thailand's oldest veggie restaurant ..... Bangkok's first Indian ...... I loved the food Mahatma Gandhi / Sunil Gavaskar / Ravi Shankar etc 

Went back last year its been demolished ....... :default_1087:

Sign in to follow this