• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Odense

Where do I get the best AIS SIM card?

Where do I with as little hassle (and costs) as possible get the best AIS SIM card.
I need it with a good amount of 4 G data also.

I am only going to use it for 3 - 4 weeks at a time and since that most likely is only once per year it should be easy to maintain validity for at least a year.

• Buy a basic SIM card.
  • Determine which data package you want. http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/promotion/en/netsim.html
  • Make sure you have sufficient credit on the card.
  • Subscribe to the data package.
  • Topping up the card gives you a certain amount of validity. Used to be 300 baht got 30 days.
  • For additional days validity send USSD code (dial) *500*9#. This will give you an additional 30 days for 30 baht.
  • Maximum validity is one year.
  • If you have a Thai bank account you can top up your credit via online banking.
  • If you don't have a Thai bank account then make sure you have extended validity to the max or have sufficient credit BEFORE you leave Thailand.
  • If you intend to extend validity using the USSD code method while in your home country make sure the home country telco which partners with AIS will send the USSD code. e.g. when in home country put AIS SIM into phone, connect to partner network, send USSD code.
  • To check credit and validity dial *121#.
  • Any AIS shop (Telewiz) can do all of this for you. If in Pattaya teler's on in the basement of Central Festival (Beach Road end).

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A cheap way to extend validity is available by topping up 10 baht for a 2 baht fee at the Orange machines often found outside 711 stores and similar.  Maybe of most benefit to you when you're heading home and have lots of small coins to dispose of, but each 12 baht spend gives you 10 baht credit plus one additional month's validity.

Top ups from 20 baht to 1,500 baht can be done online from a Bangkok Bank account.  Each top up gives one additional months validity and there are no additional charges.

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

to avoid the passport hassle and get a girl to do it for you 

How long before they do a bit of data matching and find a person with 20 SIMs registered to them, all still active but in different parts of the world. Probably get arrested for facilitating a terrorist network.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

• Buy a basic SIM card.
  • Determine which data package you want. http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/promotion/en/netsim.html
  • Topping up the card gives you a certain amount of validity. Used to be 300 baht got 30 days.
  • For additional days validity send USSD code (dial) *500*9#. This will give you an additional 30 days for 30 baht.
  • If you have a Thai bank account you can top up your credit via online banking.
  • If you don't have a Thai bank account then make sure you have extended validity to the max or have sufficient credit BEFORE you leave Thailand.
  • If you intend to extend validity using the USSD code method while in your home country make sure the home country telco which partners with AIS will send the USSD code. e.g. when in home country put AIS SIM into phone, connect to partner network, send USSD code.
  • Any AIS shop (Telewiz) can do all of this for you. If in Pattaya teler's on in the basement of Central Festival (Beach Road end).

The AIS shop has now moved up a couple of floors in Central Festival.  It is near a few shops selling phones, computers, lap tops, tablets etc.

There is also a shop in Central Marina.  I can not recall seeing one in Terminal 21 but quite often one does not notice what one is not looking for at the time.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

I always get mine at the airport as soon as I land. 

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Last time I went to the AIS shop on arrival it was a whirling dervish of Indians and Chinese all discussing how many SIMs they needed and what each had to pay.

I was about to walk away when the nice AIS lady beckoned me forward telling the Chinese and Indians to get out of the way.

The occasional privilege of being a pale skinned roundeye in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Ais have got a shop in terminal 21 and also got a smallish booth on the 2nd or 3rd floor of tukcom right by the stairs 

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Last time I went to the AIS shop on arrival it was a whirling dervish of Indians and Chinese all discussing how many SIMs they needed and what each had to pay.

I was about to walk away when the nice AIS lady beckoned me forward telling the Chinese and Indians to get out of the way.

The occasional privilege of being a pale skinned roundeye in Thailand.

Sorry, should have said I get my SIM at the airport, I use dtac not AIS. 

Find they're quite quick. 

13 hours ago, fygjam said:

• Buy a basic SIM card.

The only thing I will add is, they are no longer in the lower floor of central, they have moved upstairs but I forget what floor number

1 hour ago, Baldylocks said:

The only thing I will add is, they are no longer in the lower floor of central, they have moved upstairs but I forget what floor number

Same floor as all the banks?

14 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

12 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Same floor as all the banks?

FFS, have both of you got john luke (post 7) on ignore?  What's he done wrong. 😉

1 hour ago, KWA said:

FFS, have both of you got john luke (post 7) on ignore?  What's he done wrong. 😉

No I dont ffs, but what I did was answer the post before I scrolled down to John Luke ffs, some of us dont read everything then go back and answer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Yes. I've had enough of his polite, insightful and mannerly posting

🤔

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Haha 1

I haven't bothered getting a thai number the last few trips.

I got free roaming and free roaming data when in Thailand (and a shitload of other countries) from my local phone provider here at home.

I didn't bother getting a Thai SIM last trip. Wi-Fi is so widely available and you can just use WhatsApp. No real need for a Thai SIM on a short trip. Last time I put a Thai SIM in my phone I got locked out of mobile banking etc, it was a right pain in the hole.

2 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

I haven't bothered getting a thai number the last few trips.

I got free roaming and free roaming data when in Thailand (and a shitload of other countries) from my local phone provider here at home.

Same here -cheaper than topping off an AIS Sim as well.

Sign in to follow this