Sign in to follow this  
fforest

Goodbye British Embassy...

15 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Did they pocket the money from the sale or give it back to Thailand ?

you are making the standard mistake of thinking thailand or the king donated the land.  they didnt

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

you are making the standard mistake of thinking thailand or the king donated the land.  they didnt

My bad, I'd read it so many times over the years I thought it was true.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

My bad, I'd read it so many times over the years I thought it was true.

they actually got given the land down by the river where the old old embassy was, before we were all born.  but got pissed off with the noise of river markets and later trams and cars..  so theyhanded it back and "bought" the wireless road site.  ( I am sure they didnt pay much for it :) ).  new home is a fuckin hi rise

• Great Info 1

Sad lovey old building. Remembering reading Cameron and co pocketed the money (sorry paid it to the Treasury during the era of austerity).

Just what Bangkok needs another Mall ........ what do I know ???

How do all these Malls survive .....loathe most of them to be honest.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

they actually got given the land down by the river where the old old embassy was, before we were all born.  but got pissed off with the noise of river markets and later trams and cars..  so theyhanded it back and "bought" the wireless road site.  ( I am sure they didnt pay much for it 🙂 ).  new home is a fuckin hi rise

Thanks for the real story.

12 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Sad lovey old building. Remembering reading Cameron and co pocketed the money (sorry paid it to the Treasury during the era of austerity).

Just what Bangkok needs another Mall ........ what do I know ???

How do all these Malls survive .....loathe most of them to be honest.

Shame such an historic lovely building torn down. 

Just think of all the things that went down there over those years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally speaking I cannot get too upset about the UK selling some impractical old pile way past its sell by date.

Much better to move to a smaller, modern building more fitting to the task of providing embassy services to UK nationals.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Personally speaking I cannot get too upset about the UK selling some impractical old pile way past its sell by date.

Much better to move to a smaller, modern building more fitting to the task of providing embassy services to UK nationals.

And there goes the empire.....

An empire doesn't reside on the 22 nd fl of some shit commercial building but on proper ground, with the greens etc....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

What ?

Let me put it to you like this

Would Microsoft or Apple run their business out of a shared working space in a warehouse with a bunch of other businesses?  Hell no they would not....

Why ? Because Top companies want to let people know they are top companies....

England has just thrown in the towel on being a Top country......Kind of like the Pound....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

Just now, fforest said:

Would Microsoft or Apple run their business out of a shared working space in a warehouse with a bunch of other businesses?  Hello no they would not....

England has just thrown in the towel on being a Top country......Kind of like the Pound....

What a load of utter nonesense.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Sorry some times the truth hurts...

Yeah cause a  modern state of the art facility is so much more shit than a 1920's building that needed significant upgrades to refurbishments.

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

Would Microsoft or Apple run their business out of a shared working space in a warehouse with a bunch of other businesses?  Hello no they would not....

So what? If you don't like the new British Embassy you'll get your visas from another embassy?

PS. Microsoft started here

00000.png

and didn't Apple start in someones garage.

Edited by fygjam

4 minutes ago, fygjam said:

So what? If you don't like the new British Embassy you'll get your visas from another embassy?

do they even issue visa's ?

21 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

do they even issue visa's ?

That was just an off the top of my head example. If you want another one which illustrates the same point I was making, I'm pretty sure that you cannot renew a UK passport at the US Embassy.

7 minutes ago, fygjam said:

That was just an off the top of my head example. If you want another one which illustrates the same point I was making, I'm pretty sure that you cannot renew a UK passport at the US Embassy.

Can't renew a UK passport at the UK Embassy either, thats done at VFS............ or atleast it used to be.

32 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Can't renew a UK passport at the UK Embassy either, thats done at VFS............ or atleast it used to be.

So does VFS actually renew the passport of do they just receive the paperwork and the British (or UK) Embassy does the issuing?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this