How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Glasseye

Commuting

Posted (edited)

An interesting piece in the NYTimes....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/15/business/commuting-has-always-been-soul-crushing-but-there-are-inspiring-options.html

Sure as f**k glad I don't have to do it anymore. Worst thing about work was going to/from.

Side note - I've always found Thai folks to be helpful when taking the BTS and MRT.  

Hong Kong had the best system that I've ever used. Now that is screwed.... at least for now.

I think London's was the most fun and for me was a thrill to have experienced. 

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 2

I am fortunate to be only mere 3 miles from my workplace for the past 28 years. I bought a Honda Accord in 2005. It has only 54,000 miles on it. It hasn't even been broken in yet. Mint condition. I am always afraid that some F tard is going to run into me because it would be a major loss for me if you look at the blue book value. I would only get 1/5 of what I could sell it for now. I hear stories from friends that have to commute to Washington DC for work everyday. The Capital Beltway (I-495) gets so backed up at times you can literally get out of your car and have a stretch or a brief chat with other motorists. 

3 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

I am fortunate to be only mere 3 miles from my workplace for the past 28 years. I bought a Honda Accord in 2005. It has only 54,000 miles on it. It hasn't even been broken in yet. Mint condition. I am always afraid that some F tard is going to run into me because it would be a major loss for me if you look at the blue book value. I would only get 1/5 of what I could sell it for now. I hear stories from friends that have to commute to Washington DC for work everyday. The Capital Beltway (I-495) gets so backed up at times you can literally get out of your car and have a stretch or a brief chat with other motorists. 

Yes. I used to commute in Chicago. It became my primary objective in life to get away from the commute in my early years. I was able to get out of there after four years and ended up in Central Illinois. Still close enough to the city, but away from that dog awful commute. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Country Australia is bliss in that regard...6 mins round trip to work

About 1 hr in UK when I was there ...acceptable...just

My idiot son decided to stay in Melbourne....2.5 hrs lost in earning capacity....per fucking day..sheeeh

• Confused 1

I can walk to my work in about 30mins, which is really great. Previously I can remember commuting for about 90mins on a good day, well over 2 hours on a bad traffic day. So that's times 2, takes a huge chunk of your day.

I had once thought about getting somewhere outside of London, commuting in by train, could have afforded somewhere much better, but at the mercy of the trains. 

Fine where I am, really means a lot to be in control of getting to work easily. 

20 minutes drive its great. Used to commute 90 minutes each way when I was younger not now ... 

I worked with a guy that used to commute to the City from Norwich ...  he would go to bed almost as soon as he arrived home .. 

3 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

1 mile to work and 1 mile back. That's it. Been that way for the past 30 years. 

You've added many years to your life.   👍

• Thumbs Up 1

I drive 10 miles at off peak times in an average 22 minutes .

Think I've been lucky in that for most of my working life I've been away from home,from the RAF to the middle east to the States to lots of contracts in Europe.All those jobs had accommodation supplied.

Even when I've worked in the UK I've stayed in B & B's or hotels near work.

My last job was 30 miles from my front door & I would be going up the M1 early morning & down it in the evening,so against the traffic.Seeing all the traffic the other side of the road especially in the morning I was very grateful I never had to do that.

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Think I've been lucky in that for most of my working life I've been away from home,from the RAF to the middle east to the States to lots of contracts in Europe.All those jobs had accommodation supplied.

Even when I've worked in the UK I've stayed in B & B's or hotels near work.

My last job was 30 miles from my front door & I would be going up the M1 early morning & down it in the evening,so against the traffic.Seeing all the traffic the other side of the road especially in the morning I was very grateful I never had to do that.

That was always one of the big pluses when I worked midnight shifts.

Doing my longest ever commute with this current job, 75km door to door each way..... if the traffic is good its an hour's drive.

3 miles from work for me,but long enough for me to get fucking soaked when its pissing down.

30 minutes ago, galenkia said:

3 miles from work for me,but long enough for me to get fucking soaked when its pissing down.

F92DA4DC-B6FD-4D4E-B9A3-10B00C970AEE.jpeg

• Haha 5

I travel all over the country with work, am away probably 2 nights per week on average and 6 hour round trips are common when I’m not staying over. Probably about 75% of my travel is by train or plane. It’s fine for now as I get well paid, but it will become harder as I get older.....

I had to commute 100 miles a day when I was in California. But it was not at the normal commute times so was not bad at all and the company paid for all bridge tolls and fuel 

I found I just got used to it when I was 57 miles twice a day, but when I changed to < 7 miles I realised just how much time I'd got back.  I also changed to 3 days a week so the cost saving on petrol and wear and tear on the car fell to next to nothing.  Beer spend increased substantially though.

Thanks to the internet and RDP, for about the last 15 years of my working life my commute was from my bedroom to my home office. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have worked away from home more than half of my life.

When in France as site mechanic, worked on projects all around France.  Usually 5 night in a hotel, 2 nights at home, 1 night (Sunday night) on the road.  Worked in Belgium, Germany, UK, hotel and once every 3 weeks heading

Later I worked several years 70 km south of Paris. My home was 40 km south of Bordeaux. 4 nights in a hotel, 2 at home, 1 in the night train. For years. Leaving the job  Fri at noon, arriving home at 7 or 8pm, leaving Sunday evening by sleeper train.

But it was a livestyle of my own choice, and I liked it.

Only times I was "at home" nearly every evening was when on long term contracts (with or without family)  in Cairo, Saudi, BKK, VN, Korea, HKG, Caribeans etc....

But worst of the worst commute was in HKG every morning and evening 1 hour on the MTR with 1 million rude, pushy and noisy locals... The number of times I asked myself "WTF are you doing here JM , you never lived that, this is horrible. You are like a fucking Parisian" .....   Hence the crazy night life and W.E. to relieve the stress.

Nowadays, I dont even own a car or even a motorcycle. 

But hey, globally I don't regret anything.

For a couple of years I used to commute from Edinburgh to Newcastle every day.

The "cross country" route took me through some wonderful but wild countryside and on one memorable occasion I was driving in a complete wipe out blizzard and seriously worried I might not make it back. The border between England and Scotland was at the top of a hill and when I looked down the other side I could not see the road, just snow.

On another occasion I turned a bend and found a badly smashed up car in the middle of the road with the driver inside and unconscious. I had a very poor signal on my cell phone but the driver of a lorry coming the other way managed to get through to the  police and ambulance. The lorry driver and I noticed that there appeared to be damage to a low wall on one side of the road. We looked over and found another car upside down in a gully. We learnt later that the driver of that vehicle was sadly deceased. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Have worked a swing shift, 3-11:30 pm, for nearly 30 years. My commute is about 17 miles each way, takes me roughly 22-25 minutes, about 6-8 minutes from my driveway to the highway including the waiting time for green lights at intersections, then 15 minutes at a 70-75 mph clip.

Have been forever grateful at not having to drive during the morning and evening commute. I live in the Sacramento area in Northern California,  just paid my upcoming 6 month premium earlier this week with my insurance company and my agent confirmed that the company, State Farm, through claims, has determined that the worst drivers in the entire state are in the Sacramento region.

The fewer idiots on the road I need to deal with, the better. Probably has helped me to live a life with as little stress as possible.

• Great Info 1

Forgot about that, shifts always made the driving easier as well as getting a pay bump (and avoiding the boss).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

A few years ago I did a job at Broughton converting a couple of small airliners for the RAF,at the airport near Chester.It was 4 days on,4 off & I live just outside Watford so I was commuting 200 miles every 4 days(& I'd just got a 5.5L car,but that's another story).About 6 months into this my back gave in.I saw a chiropractor & told her I'd been putting a pillow into a pillowcase when it happened.She said something else caused it so I said how about driving 200 miles every 4 days.For the last 6 months.She sorted my back out & for the remaining 6 months I stopped approx half way each trip & had a walk around.

My 200 mile trips were not so bad though as I always drove up the night before & I'd finish my shift at 7pm before driving home,so I missed a lot of the traffic.

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

. . . .  so I was commuting 200 miles every 4 days(& I'd just got a 5.5L car,but that's another story).About 6 months into this my back gave in.I saw a chiropractor & told her I'd been putting a pillow into a pillowcase when it happened.She said something else caused it so I said how about driving 200 miles every 4 days.For the last 6 months.She sorted my back out & for the remaining 6 months I stopped approx half way each trip & had a walk around.

Was talking to a mate with a much shorter commute recently but 75% of it was in rush hour traffic.  His doc said it was being on and off the clutch pedal so much that did his knee in.

Sign in to follow this