Jump to content
Pumpuynarak

Windows 10 - When will we have to switch from W7 ?

Recommended Posts

I've tried google to find out and can't find anything, does anyone know if there is a date ? Being the worlds biggest Com Dino i want to get prepared for it and i'm happy to change over if i can get all me files transferred. How about me porn bookmarks, i ain't going nowhere without them lol

Trouble is with google it explains everything but ya can't reference it whilst yer doing the transfer, ya gotta remember everything and thats mission impossible for me, anyone got a solution ?

I'm very fortunate and thankful to have BM Miko living close by to help but i'd like to have some knowledge/prep prior to getting him round.

I'm not looking for a step by step way of doing cos i'll struggle to keep up with it just some generalistic advice/info.

Thanks for any info.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems support ends start of next year.  to be honest we have updates all switched off anyway as they are a pain.  I am sticking with 7 as 8 was pants and 10 is for children or phone users, and cant run half the programs out there.

 

7 is the best since XP as far as reliability is concerned..  just killed the last xp at work, it finally died, but did its job without fault until now.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommy dee said:

seems support ends start of next year.  to be honest we have updates all switched off anyway as they are a pain.  I am sticking with 7 as 8 was pants and 10 is for children or phone users, and cant run half the programs out there.

 

7 is the best since XP as far as reliability is concerned..  just killed the last xp at work, it finally died, but did its job without fault until now.

 

So if support ends Tommy does that mean W7 is finished and you'll have to go to W10 ? i also switched off updates a long time ago at the recco of Code and i'm as familiar as i'm ever gonna be with W7, i'll keep it as long as i can as long as its doing the business for me.  

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have been using 8.1 on my PC for quite some time. Don't wanna switch to 10 until I have to. I keep 7 on my laptop and don't get any suggestions to change over as I downloaded the Operating System from a torrent. I personally don't care for 10.

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So if support ends Tommy does that mean W7 is finished and you'll have to go to W10 ? i also switched off updates a long time ago at the recco of Code and i'm as familiar as i'm ever gonna be with W7, i'll keep it as long as i can as long as its doing the business for me.  

You can keep using W7, they're just going to stop providing security updates.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You can keep using W7, they're just going to stop providing security updates.
But with no security updates that is dangerous.
The difference to W10 is not that big so much better to update. And it really shouldn't compromise any of the contents.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So if support ends Tommy does that mean W7 is finished and you'll have to go to W10 ? i also switched off updates a long time ago at the recco of Code and i'm as familiar as i'm ever gonna be with W7, i'll keep it as long as i can as long as its doing the business for me.  

Anyone who recommends that knows phark all about computing IMO and has never spent weeks trying to disinfect a 400 machine network because some turd put an unpatched PC on the network.

Updates include stuff that should have been done before the OS was released and fixes to vulnerabilities discovered since the OS was released.

I suspect that if you actually bothered to read the Ts & Cs of your bank's internet banking agreement you will find that if you don't keep your device up to date with patches and don't have anti virus protection then in the case of your account being hacked you're pharked!

 

  • Great Info 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So if support ends Tommy does that mean W7 is finished and you'll have to go to W10 ? i also switched off updates a long time ago at the recco of Code and i'm as familiar as i'm ever gonna be with W7, i'll keep it as long as i can as long as its doing the business for me.  

I have got Windows 7 running on my laptop and love it but yes with the lack of updates something sometime soon will probably cause me a problem.

I keep getting emails telling me to upgrade to Windows 10 but of course they are not offering a free upgrade. Those emails tell me the updates will stop January 2020.

They do make a good point of course that it might be worth investing in a new laptop etc which I may do. My laptop is a Lenovo and is brilliant despite a few niggling slow downs associated with it being 7 years old and I will probably still use the W7 stopping of updates as a reason to invest in new hardware.  I could just download W10 on to the Lenovo but it is getting slower and no doubt won't last forever so good time for a change. I will still use the Lenovo with W7 but probably just for the wee one for Youtube or in emergencies such as a problem with my new hardware (unlikely hopefully). I will strip it though and hope I can remove it from my homegroup to continue to use it.

My brother has W10 and despite using it on many occasions I still don't like it, I love my W7 but things move on and I may need to move on as well.

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the good thing is that most new virus will be aimed at w10 :)  same as they didnt even aim for xp for yonks too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Anyone who recommends that knows phark all about computing IMO and has never spent weeks trying to disinfect a 400 machine network because some turd put an unpatched PC on the network.

Updates include stuff that should have been done before the OS was released and fixes to vulnerabilities discovered since the OS was released.

I suspect that if you actually bothered to read the Ts & Cs of your bank's internet banking agreement you will find that if you don't keep your device up to date with patches and don't have anti virus protection then in the case of your account being hacked you're pharked!

It was a recommendation directed to an individual user, not a user with a corporate owned computer that connects to their network.

Depending on how bright the bulb is upstairs, for an individual user that practices safe internet practices (i.e. doesn't click on all and sundry to see what happens, downloads any and all files sent to them, or offered to them on websites) then forgoing automatic updates is a safe recommendation. Something I do as I can't be bothered waiting for an update to complete when I have work I want to get done. I will however download updates about every three months to keep the OS up to date, but that's done at a time of my choosing and convenience.

Edited by forcebwithu
corrected to "is a safe recommendation"
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got Windows 10 on a laptop, never had any issues with but can understand the preference for Windows 7 (in an ideal world). Using it doesn't mean I like it but when I need Word or Excel, then it gets used.

Most of the time I just use a seperate Chromebook, it's way, way faster than my Windows laptop, even though it's older and way cheaper! 

Open question to Windows 7 Users, do you get compatibility issues with new websites, software e.t.c??

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I've got Windows 10 on a laptop, never had any issues with but can understand the preference for Windows 7 (in an ideal world). Using it doesn't mean I like it but when I need Word or Excel, then it gets used.

Most of the time I just use a seperate Chromebook, it's way, way faster than my Windows laptop, even though it's older and way cheaper! 

Open question to Windows 7 Users, do you get compatibility issues with new websites, software e.t.c??

you wont get comp probs with websites as windows is basically a menu, and you choose your borwser.  the browser takes care of the website not wins. software is not an issue now but its actually the reverse.  much software wont run on w 10.  so either needs updating or to pay for new versions.  for me i run 15 pc now tht all interlink.  changing one would be a nightmare, changing all a pain, plus the updates i would need cost money.  in all i am happy with what we have already

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started this new job I was given an old laptop to use whilst my new one was being delivered.... it was a piece of shit with windows 7............. holy crap does that operating system lick balls compared to win 10, I actually just left it locked in the drawer and used my personal laptop instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

When I started this new job I was given an old laptop to use whilst my new one was being delivered.... it was a piece of shit with windows 7............. holy crap does that operating system lick balls compared to win 10, I actually just left it locked in the drawer and used my personal laptop instead.

just out of curiosity have you ever agreed with anyone on 247? not that it bothers me :)  yes i can see that a simplified OS would suit a lot of people, reality is that 10 isnt as versatile or stable ( yet)  and i am guessing we will see a new version soon, at a price.. enjoy

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

just out of curiosity have you ever agreed with anyone on 247? not that it bothers me 🙂 yes i can see that a simplified OS would suit a lot of people, reality is that 10 isnt as versatile or stable ( yet)  and i am guessing we will see a new version soon, at a price.. enjoy

Plenty of times, ive been using win10 since the 1st dev version came out.... win 7 was good but feels so clunky and archaic compared.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any problems with Win10, it just needs some tweaking but no more (nor less) than Win7 to make it usable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I keep getting emails telling me to upgrade to Windows 10 but of course they are not offering a free upgrade. Those emails tell me the updates will stop January 2020

I have found that it is almost free.

You can go to Microsoft website and download a free clean install win 10 (including pro) and it will install without the need for a key. 99% of the functions work and they don't even nag you about not having a key.

I have done this many times and I usually go to ebay and buy a win 10 pro key for less than $2US$ and you have a fully functional legal OS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those that love win7 and dislike win10 what is it with win 10 that you dont like ?

Question for Individual users that is, not those in a commercial environment.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

For those that love win7 and dislike win10 what is it with win 10 that you dont like ?

Question for Individual users that is, not those in a commercial environment.

No real answer, I just like the comfort of knowing my way around Windows 7, touch screen and lack of the usual buttons on W10 confused and annoyed me.

Like anything if I have to get with the W10 program I will but why does anybody like anything, it is usually what they are comfortable with and W7 ticks all my boxes.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been using XP pro for years, which was IMO pretty good.

W10 looks to childish to me, some designer got his inspiration from Apple ?

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Horizondave said:

No real answer, I just like the comfort of knowing my way around Windows 7, touch screen and lack of the usual buttons on W10 confused and annoyed me.

Like anything if I have to get with the W10 program I will but why does anybody like anything, it is usually what they are comfortable with and W7 ticks all my boxes.

 

The lack of buttons/different buttons is the biggest gripe ive heard of win 10 over the  years..... Installing a win 7 skin sorts that issue.

Win 10 works fine without a touch screen, ive never used one as I hate the damn things !!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually they'll stop producing Win 7 updates for stuff like Java that you need for anything more than a 1990's browsing experience. Win 7 will still work, sort of, but you'll find it feels like it's falling apart, because it literally is with nothing important being updated. Mozilla will freeze the use of Firefox on Win 7 at some point so you'll end up stuck with an old version. Sooner ro later, if you use your PC a lot, you'll find that it's becoming too much of a pain and you'll want to upgrade.

Now to Win10. It's highly customisable, my version looks very much like Win 7 so the comments about it being childish are simply because you haven;t seen a properly customised version. And as for saying it can't run half the programs out there, that's just bollox, it can run everything Win 7 can and a lot more besides. Its ability to run legacy x386 software is pretty good, far better than Win7, I had some favourite apps for XP that I was sorry to lose when I moved to Win 7, but they all run now under Win 10.

Another advantage, apart from the fact that your PC and OS are up-to-date, is that Win 10 is free if you don't activate it. What's not to like? My only quibble is that the file manager is even worse than the one in Win7, which was far worse than the one in XP. I solved that by downloading XYplorer free edition, a fully tabbed file manager that works like a dream.

  • Great Info 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Eventually they'll stop producing Win 7 updates for stuff like Java that you need for anything more than a 1990's browsing experience. Win 7 will still work, sort of, but you'll find it feels like it's falling apart, because it literally is with nothing important being updated. Mozilla will freeze the use of Firefox on Win 7 at some point so you'll end up stuck with an old version. Sooner ro later, if you use your PC a lot, you'll find that it's becoming too much of a pain and you'll want to upgrade.

Now to Win10. It's highly customisable, my version looks very much like Win 7 so the comments about it being childish are simply because you haven;t seen a properly customised version. And as for saying it can't run half the programs out there, that's just bollox, it can run everything Win 7 can and a lot more besides. Its ability to run legacy x386 software is pretty good, far better than Win7, I had some favourite apps for XP that I was sorry to lose when I moved to Win 7, but they all run now under Win 10.

Another advantage, apart from the fact that your PC and OS are up-to-date, is that Win 10 is free if you don't activate it. What's not to like? My only quibble is that the file manager is even worse than the one in Win7, which was far worse than the one in XP. I solved that by downloading XYplorer free edition, a fully tabbed file manager that works like a dream.

i like your comment about making it look like w7, thats cool.  as to software, not tis not bollox I am afraid.  maybe in a personal environment  but not work.  some of our stuff works on dongle keys from the software companies, they dont even have a w10 version to make it work.  our main system  for our database wont work in a W10 environment and then there is COMMAND  which I am not sure if w10 has.

 

horses for course really.  another issue is that we have one pc with w10, as a test.  ran it for 2 weeks non stop and it rebooted or closed and re opened many times, despite having no win updates and no security.. it was a test.  whereas w7 and xp can run for months and months on end without crash/reboot etc.  for me I need the PCs to run 24/7 365.  ( yes i know about sleep settings thanks).  for most users thats isnt the case.  but it is a fact that NASA stuck with XP for a reason.  even paid people to scourge junk yards to find old PCs to rob for parts.

 

a real issue is that most modern computers, new ones, with hi power CANT run w7, they can only run W10.  thats annoyed me, but we found a way around it this month as I built the new mini system to integrate into our network.

as said, horses for courses :)

 

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Odense said:

And it really shouldn't compromise any of the contents.

So is it possible to transfer my porn bookmarks to W10 ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...