john luke

Smart Watch - Great, Fashion Accessory, or Waste of Money?

FOSSIL Explorist HR FTW4016 Smartwatch - Blue & Silver, Leather Strap

Do you have a smart watch or not? 

If so what are your thoughts on the one you own?  Which apps do you use and which do you not use?

If you do not own one, would you consider buying one and if so why? 

Buy Apple Watch Series 3, GPS and Cellular, 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Sport Band, Black Online at johnlewis.com

Posted (edited)

Don't own a watch of any sort.

Smart phones tell me the time these days and before that still managed to tell the time somehow without a watch.

Edited by thegrogmonster

1 hour ago, john luke said:

FOSSIL Explorist HR FTW4016 Smartwatch - Blue & Silver, Leather Strap

If you do not own one, would you consider buying

A 65 y old guy wearing this ? No way ! 

Why ? Makes you even more look like a (see picture) 😁😁😁

I can't see half of what is on my smart phone, how the hell is a watch therefore going to be  a plus for me.

Now if I could attach a laptop to my wrist there might be some benefit in having one.

• Haha 1

Looks look like a 100 baht phone you can buy in the market.

No thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

there are many smart watches to choose from these days 

https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/watches/g9762/best-smartwatches/

Good link- I've got you down as Breitling guy btw😁

There term "Smart watch" is very broad and as the article shows covers a whole series of watches designed for specific purposes.  A £100 activity tracking watch is great value if that's what you are using it for. The Apple watches seem to cover activity, payments, info and God knows what else.

I use a Garmin Forerunner watch mainly for running, recorded pace, distance, heart rate and routes, so I can chart how/if I'm improving. Cost around £200 definitely over-specified for me as it's really aimed at tri-athletes.

Could also be mistaken for a 100 baht watch from the market 😭

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Good link- I've got you down as Breitling guy btw😁

I've got a Super Ocean with a blue rubber strap  , bought it as a weekend watch , but recently sold my Sea Dweller , so its my main watch now .. 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I can't see half of what is on my smart phone, how the hell is a watch therefore going to be  a plus for me.

Now if I could attach a laptop to my wrist there might be some benefit in having one.

Bingo lol

29 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

but recently sold my Sea Dweller ,

Great watch, its in my collection, i hope you got more for it than the 3500bht i paid lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Great watch, its in my collection, i hope you got more for it than the 3500bht i paid lol

Paid £2k and sold it after ten years for £4K 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

Paid £2k and sold it after ten years for £4K 

Good business well done, i paid 2650gbp for me Oyster Perp two tone when full retail was 3150gbp in 1995, sold it in 2006 for 1650gbp on Ebay, all i could get. I now understand certain models (Submariner in particular which i love) because of the difficulty in getting new are attracting great prices. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Same here. I no longer see any value in a small screen for anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jcolorado said:

Same here. I no longer see any value in a small screen for anything.

Bingo, i'm glad i'm not alone with fading eyesight.

17 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

There term "Smart watch" is very broad and as the article shows covers a whole series of watches designed for specific purposes.  A £100 activity tracking watch is great value if that's what you are using it for. The Apple watches seem to cover activity, payments, info and God knows what else.

I use a Garmin Forerunner watch mainly for running, recorded pace, distance, heart rate and routes, so I can chart how/if I'm improving. Cost around £200 definitely over-specified for me as it's really aimed at tri-athletes.

Could also be mistaken for a 100 baht watch from the market 😭

I have a Garmin Vivosport which is considerably overspecified for my needs, too. I think I benefit from having it as I try to do 10,000 steps a day to keep it happy. Without it, there are days when lethargy would prevail, and I'd hardly move!

It's also useful for monitoring sleep, heart rate, stress etc. Having built-in GPS means I can also accurately measure distance walked if I choose.

• Thumbs Up 1

No interest in one.  For me it's just more crap nobody asked for or needed, but industry developed knowing they'd lull x% of the population into buying.

• Thumbs Up 3

I love my Apple Watch more than my iPhone.
When I’m at work I can leave my phone on charge but still get notifications from Line/Facebook/Tapatalk and dictate a short reply to them without having to pick up my phone. Bear in mind, I’m getting messages from customers/friends all the time.
I also get football score updates (very important)
I can make and receive calls on my watch so when I take the kids for a walk or go to the beach I can leave the phone at home and get everything without the weight and inconvenience of a phone. I can listen to music and podcasts on it as well.
It’s handy for navigation n the car as well as it’s easier to look at my watch than it is my phone when I need to turn left right etc.
It keeps an eye on my exercise and steps that day and lets me know when I need to go for a walk to keep up my totals. This isn’t that important to me but it’s handy to have.
Wearing my watch means I can leave the phone on charge away from gaze or at home. It does everything my phone does except take photos. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KWA said:

No interest in one.  For me it's just more crap nobody asked for or needed, but industry developed knowing they'd lull x% of the population into buying.

My thinking as well

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

I have a Garmin Vivosport which is considerably overspecified for my needs, too. I think I benefit from having it as I try to do 10,000 steps a day to keep it happy. Without it, there are days when lethargy would prevail, and I'd hardly move!

It's also useful for monitoring sleep, heart rate, stress etc. Having built-in GPS means I can also accurately measure distance walked if I choose.

When I wake I know if I slept well or not, I know when I am stressed, no need for some application for that.

And I walk or swim as I want. Any bloody device beeping to remind me I have not done my 1000 steps, or am short 1 lap today would end with a hit on a rock and a free flight in the sea....

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smart watch purely for work.

I'm a driver and there is a camera on us that if triggered and your holding a handheld device of any kind you get a final warning then second time your out.

With the watch I can read sms's, emails etc without touching the phone.

Its actually a great bit of kit.

🙂

front-1473252486961.variety.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, davethailand said:

I've got a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier smart watch purely for work.

I'm a driver and there is a camera on us that if triggered and your holding a handheld device of any kind you get a final warning then second time your out.

With the watch I can read sms's, emails etc without touching the phone.

Its actually a great bit of kit.

🙂

front-1473252486961.variety.jpg

Now that ain't a bad looking WATCH Dave lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Now that ain't a bad looking WATCH Dave lmao

you can put 1000s of different faces on it also.

🙂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, davethailand said:

you can put 1000s of different faces on it also.

🙂

Two faces are normally enough for most people.

• Haha 1