Do you like the way Pattaya has changed?

Krapow

Or Thailand in general?

When I first started coming Pattaya was very much a 'Man's Town', where it would be rare to see families or groups of females apart from Thais. It was kinda the wild west, where most there knew what they were there for, Thai or farang. Beach Road was rammed with freelancers, there was no big shopping malls bar Royal Garden, Mikes, the Bid C's etc. Infrastructure was not as it was today, in general a lot more seedy. 

Now the place is coming down with families, groups of middle aged females waddling across 2nd Road, big flashy malls, loads and loads of Chinese, Indians, Russinas etc, loads more choice in food outlets, places to go or see. Yes the 'girls' are still there, but no way as in your face, it's different, sanitised to an extent if you like.

On trips to Thailand, I spend a few days in Pattaya, I have a small condo there, but the changes now suit me as I visit with my wife and young daughter (who's 2). Things like all the very nice kids play places in Central, places like Central full stop, all the new choices we have, and of course the 'girls' aspect changing doesn't impact me now.

That said, if I was of the same mindset as when i first came to Pattaya 12/15 years ago, not married, I would not be happy with the changes. I'd have preferred it the way it was, more like the wild west, a man's town, wanting the 'sex and girls' more in your face etc.

Edited by Krapow

I think it was inevitable that the sex playground of the 90s and early 2000's would change because Thailand is no longer the third world country it once was. Now 26th biggest economy in the world and a very strong currency. Jobs are everywhere and girls who want to work bar getting harder to find. 

Personally I like the mixture of modern and old style. 

Sex will always be here in Pattaya in some shape or form.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, misteregg said:

I think it was inevitable that the sex playground of the 90s and early 2000's would change because Thailand is no longer the third world country it once was. Now 26th biggest economy in the world and a very strong currency. Jobs are everywhere and girls who want to work bar getting harder to find. 

Personally I like the mixture of modern and old style. 

Sex will always be here in Pattaya in some shape or form.

Couldn't agree more.

Pattaya will continue to evolve and change, to what extent is anybody's guess.

I can see it becoming more and more like Amsterdam, with some more 'hardcore' areas.

• Like 1

People that can't deal with change are left behind. Those that can have a great time everywhere and can remember the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

More low end British coming over but besides that Thailand is great. Better infrastructure who doesn't like that? 

People that have been here for years are the ones that have changed. Bar scene is better than ever. Your not as young as 20 years ago.

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

Don't think i'll ever get over the sight of groups of middle aged fat western females waddling across 2nd Road.

I kinda walk to the side of them, so as if we get hit by a Baht bus, they are the shock absorber. 

When I first went to Pattaya in 1989 there were no western women at all. Whatever rationalising and justifying I hear for the changes in the nearly 30 years I've known Pattaya, there is no way the influx of western women have made the place better. In my perfect world, western women and non sex tourists would be banned from Pattaya outright.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, farangme said:

No, it's changed for the worse. Look, Pattaya isn't a family destination, it never will be. Unless you are Married to a Thai and have kids. It'll never be a top destination. The infrastructure is poor, roads dangerous and it's still what it will always be... a huge brothel. The difference now it's an expensive huge brothel with more scams and rip offs than before. Sure, it's still good. But not a patch on what it was. There, my honest reply.    

Wee add on. I really liked Jomtein. More ex-pats, bar staff friendlier and a very relaxed feel. 

We are all different mate.

I like the fact there are more things to do during the day. Prices have gone up and the exchange rate is crap for us sterling folks, but the price of a shag is still cheap.

The drug scene seems to be getting worse and worse every time I visit. That would be my one gripe.

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

We are all different mate.

I like the fact there are more things to do during the day. Prices have gone up and the exchange rate is crap for us sterling folks, but the price of a shag is still cheap.

The drug scene seems to be getting worse and worse every time I visit. That would be my one gripe.

If you would have experienced it 15 to 20 years ago I think you'd have loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, farangme said:

If you would have experienced it 15 to 20 years ago I think you'd have loved it. 

Yeah I would say so.

Still love it now mate. Can't beat the feeling you get when the sun sets in Pattaya. 

Sipping a beer in the heat, surrounded by beautiful women, watching some ladyboy nick an unsuspecting Arabs wallet.

Enjoying some Penang Gai and Rice for less than a fiver.

Tearing up the occasional dancefloor. Getting sucked off in a bar whilst sipping a beer.

Can't beat it.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, cheesekees said:

go with the flow, cant stop market demands, old hands are bygone farts - the times they are a changeing

But changing for what? Busloads of Chinese, Russians that don't drink in bars. Korean tour groups. Packs of Indians roaming around trying to buy one girl for six of them. I don't call that improvement. Apart from the small high season, a lot of places are badly struggling. The ones that are not and have huge running bills are just used for money laundering. Attitudes hardened, more expensive etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, farangme said:

But changing for what? Busloads of Chinese, Russians that don't drink in bars. Korean tour groups. Packs of Indians roaming around trying to buy one girl for six of them. I don't call that improvement. Apart from the small high season, a lot of places are badly struggling. The ones that are not and have huge running bills are just used for money laundering. Attitudes hardened, more expensive etc.

like i said, go with the flow, can hardly stop these masses coming right? they want to see the freakshow that is (was) pttya, so let em have it, there is no stopping em anyways; the flow takes you to soi LK, or dark side even

41 minutes ago, cheesekees said:

like i said, go with the flow, can hardly stop these masses coming right? they want to see the freakshow that is (was) pttya, so let em have it, there is no stopping em anyways; the flow takes you to soi LK, or dark side even

I don't think the Chinese and Koreans do much nightlife. So I doubt they are there for the freakshow, as you call it. Certainly, the darkside has grown. But over there the Cops are out and about most nights, curtailing the expats from visiting bars.

LK Metro and Baukhou still decent. Soi 6 a pale shadow of what it once was. Walking street I wouldn't even bother with. Used to be masses of Europeans and Americans descending on Pattaya. That was the real big spenders and good for local business. There was a photo posted tonight on the breakfast Club of the food places at the entrance to LK Metro. Deserted at 11pm, nobody in sight. The worst low season on record my friends tell me. And they own businesses in Pattaya and the darkside. Not bars but restaurants and bakeries. That's not progress.         

2 hours ago, farangme said:

I don't think the Chinese and Koreans do much nightlife. So I doubt they are there for the freakshow, as you call it.

Respectfully disagree....they might not do it in the same sense the typical Western sex pat tourist has done for past 50 plus years of Pattaya going from sleepy little fishing village to mega destination, but truth is, when it comes to the culture of nightlife and P4P, the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans mastered it many many moons ago, long b4 the before the little sleepy fishing village was a destination.  The culture, including p4p is much bigger, stronger, and dominant part of their culture than it ever has or will be in the western cultures.

• Thumbs Up 1