Do you like the way Pattaya has changed?

Krapow

i remember the arguemtn with mangosteen who refused to believe the cvity was evolving.  it has.  a lot of good stuff but not its over run with coaches and thailand in general has seen more and more buying cars, so the roads are often chaos.   out here on the DS, well when i moved here it was a rural area, no shops for farang, no milk or butter and a handful of cheap drinking places around the lake.  now its going mental.  huge shopping mall, new motorways, and rural roads suddenlt being widened to take 4 lanes in the future.    i like the quiet countryside here, and the fact that pattaya was easy reach but i didnt live in it.  looks like it is coming to me now .

I guess if it wasnt for the chinks and rsukies we wouldnt have the new airport, which is convenient, we certainly wouldnty have the new motors ways, funded by chinks who now take all the tolls  and if we didnt have the fat feminazis coming here with their kids.. no waterparks or shopping malls.

Me I am happy with a quiet bar/cafe,  foodland and Siamburis for shopping and the quiet life but, as is obvious, I am growing older .

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Krapow said:

Don't think i'll ever get over the sight of groups of middle aged fat western females waddling across 2nd Road.

I kinda walk to the side of them, so as if we get hit by a Baht bus, they are the shock absorber. 

Never come to Bali ! .....

5 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yeah I would say so.

Still love it now mate. Can't beat the feeling you get when the sun sets in Pattaya. 

Sipping a beer in the heat, surrounded by beautiful women, watching some ladyboy nick an unsuspecting Arabs wallet.

Enjoying some Penang Gai and Rice for less than a fiver.

Tearing up the occasional dancefloor. Getting sucked off in a bar whilst sipping a beer.

Can't beat it.

Dcfc, yes on holiday.  But when having lived in that environment for years it all wears off, and nearly becomes boring.

When I will leave the region and head back home (and sure this day will come) what I will miss most is the weather. Being able to jump in the pool all year long is very nice.

The girls etc....low down on my list now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

i remember the arguemtn with mangosteen who refused to believe the cvity was evolving.  it has.  a lot of good stuff but not its over run with coaches and thailand in general has seen more and more buying cars, so the roads are often chaos.   out here on the DS, well when i moved here it was a rural area, no shops for farang, no milk or butter and a handful of cheap drinking places around the lake.  now its going mental.  huge shopping mall, new motorways, and rural roads suddenlt being widened to take 4 lanes in the future.    i like the quiet countryside here, and the fact that pattaya was easy reach but i didnt live in it.  looks like it is coming to me now .

I guess if it wasnt for the chinks and rsukies we wouldnt have the new airport, which is convenient, we certainly wouldnty have the new motors ways, funded by chinks who now take all the tolls  and if we didnt have the fat feminazis coming here with their kids.. no waterparks or shopping malls.

Me I am happy with a quiet bar/cafe,  foodland and Siamburis for shopping and the quiet life but, as is obvious, I am growing older .

The new motorway from the airport to Pattaya is great. New motorway from u-tapao to Pattaya as well, high speed train connecting Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao at some point in future, same for Bangkok to Pattaya I believe. Sin City is only going to become more and more developed with mainstream tourism.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, STARGAZER said:

Respectfully disagree....they might not do it in the same sense the typical Western sex pat tourist has done for past 50 plus years of Pattaya going from sleepy little fishing village to mega destination, but truth is, when it comes to the culture of nightlife and P4P, the Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans mastered it many many moons ago, long b4 the before the little sleepy fishing village was a destination.  The culture, including p4p is much bigger, stronger, and dominant part of their culture than it ever has or will be in the western cultures.

Hi Ron,

Yes of course, the Japs are masters of perversion. But the majority of the Pattaya tour groups are couples and families from China and Korea. Nobody has done more bar crawling in Pattaya than me through the years. A Chinese man and wife with their granny is as rare in a Gogo as a free barfine.

19 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The new motorway from the airport to Pattaya is great. New motorway from u-tapao to Pattaya as well, high speed train connecting Suvarnabhumi and U-Tapao at some point in future, same for Bangkok to Pattaya I believe. Sin City is only going to become more and more developed with mainstream tourism.

It has a lot of mainstream tourism Brenden. Asian and middle Easter. No way Thomas Cook is going to sell package tours to Mr Ms Mrs England and 2.8 kids. When you go to a holiday resort on the med that's where the families go. And they spend.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, farangme said:

It has a lot of mainstream tourism Brenden. Asian and middle Easter. No way Thomas Cook is going to sell package tours to Mr Ms Mrs England and 2.8 kids. When you go to a holiday resort on the med that's where the families go. And they spend.

Yes compeletly agree mate. More and more mainstream tourists from China will arrive. Only 7% of Chinese have passports ATM. I can see more tourists from India and other Asian countries as well. Thailand would be too expensive and too far away for the majority of Brit and Irish families. You do see the occasional ones there, I often wonder why?

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

It's slowly getting there Tommy. But the buying of cars and big bikes has caused more death and destruction on Thai roads than a B52 could have inflicted. I think Mango got it right.

Darkside certainly getting busier. The ex-pats move out of Central Pattaya to live a cheaper and quieter life elsewhere. A mixed bag really. But give me the old Pattaya anyday to what it resembles now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I lived there many years ago, the Chinese would take "tours". I would be sitting in a go go and all of a sudden there would be 40 Chinese men arrive, get a free drink, sit down and watch a a 20 minute show, then leave and gt back on the bus.

12 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

When I lived there many years ago, the Chinese would take "tours". I would be sitting in a go go and all of a sudden there would be 40 Chinese men arrive, get a free drink, sit down and watch a a 20 minute show, then leave and gt back on the bus.

Now the Wife and kids are with them, they can't get out.:)

Just now, bigstuy75 said:

pattaya has changed massively since i first went, i just got in on the tail end of the glory days

now my circumstances have changed and pattaya is not my number one destination when i visit

so the changes  don't affect me so much

Can change again mate. You, we all could be single and nowhere left to go! Oops the Philippines!:D

• 7 months later...

I’m not sure that Pattaya has changed as much as I have since I first went there.So I certainly wouldn’t hold change,against it.

There are many different places in Thailand that I love before Pattaya,but that’s where all of my friends are,so that’s where my first stop is.

I still enjoy the debauchery.Big fun.

Apart from a couple of trips to Phuket(last one in 1987)& the PI(1985)Pattaya was always my # 1 destination.

These days I go to Korat for a few weeks then the seaside for a few days.Last trip we did 5 weeks in Korat then for 2 weeks rented a condo in Jomtien.I think I went into Pattaya 2 or 3 times.

Eventually if and when we come over there to live then I'm going to rent or buy a condo in Jomtien & commute between there & Korat.

That's if I've still got my marbles by then😏

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2018 at 5:06 PM, Krapow said:

Or Thailand in general?

When I first started coming Pattaya was very much a 'Man's Town', where it would be rare to see families or groups of females apart from Thais. It was kinda the wild west, where most there knew what they were there for, Thai or farang. Beach Road was rammed with freelancers, there was no big shopping malls bar Royal Garden, Mikes, the Bid C's etc. Infrastructure was not as it was today, in general a lot more seedy. 

Now the place is coming down with families, groups of middle aged females waddling across 2nd Road, big flashy malls, loads and loads of Chinese, Indians, Russinas etc, loads more choice in food outlets, places to go or see. Yes the 'girls' are still there, but no way as in your face, it's different, sanitised to an extent if you like.

On trips to Thailand, I spend a few days in Pattaya, I have a small condo there, but the changes now suit me as I visit with my wife and young daughter (who's 2). Things like all the very nice kids play places in Central, places like Central full stop, all the new choices we have, and of course the 'girls' aspect changing doesn't impact me now.

That said, if I was of the same mindset as when i first came to Pattaya 12/15 years ago, not married, I would not be happy with the changes. I'd have preferred it the way it was, more like the wild west, a man's town, wanting the 'sex and girls' more in your face etc.

"Do you like the way Patttaya has changed?"

I hate the extra 't' they seem to have put in the name.  Much preferred it as Pattaya rather than Patttaya.  Your thoughts?

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, misteregg said:

I think it was inevitable that the sex playground of the 90s and early 2000's would change because Thailand is no longer the third world country it once was. Now 26th biggest economy in the world and a very strong currency. Jobs are everywhere and girls who want to work bar getting harder to find. 

Personally I like the mixture of modern and old style. 

Sex will always be here in Pattaya in some shape or form.

Yes... I like mix and reasonable balance. They seem to have it, usually, for my liking. I'll take what they have on offer any day over what they have over here.

I do get a bit irritated with Russians with strollers blocking the sidewalk forcing you into the road as they gawk at the stuff being sold to vendors. I'm not sure why they entice them to go somewhere so hardcore. Always get a kick when sitting in front of Frog bar watching the families stroll past.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 1

From my own personal experiences last 2 or 3 trips,i would say no.

Main reason the girls,attitudes have changed a lot compared to the first 10 years i went there.Price wise it would still be good value if the exchange rate was not so poor.Flights,hotel,food and drink ain't really changed that much in most places.

People demographic is another,not been the same since the Chinese,Russians and Indians swamped the place.When i first went there it seemed mainly Brits and Germans being the main visitors.

Places change,only got to look at the UK,but while i am stuck in the UK i can still at least choose where i wish to visit,and currently Pattaya is far from the top of the list sadly.

• Like 1

Way back when I bought my condo, I chose Jomtien because it was no where near as congested as Pattaya was then and is much worse now. Now even Jomtien is too congested to suit me. My condo is on Soi Chaiyapruk . I used to enjoy walking down to the beach. Now that road is built up end to end and walking is dangerous. I have vehicles but on the VERY few times I go into Pattaya, I take the baht bus rather than try to find a place to park. I guess that I don't like this kind of progress, that's why I live in the boonies upcountry. Maybe being an old man has something to do with it. I have seen enough bright lights and city life.

I a good day I like the change,on a bad day NO,

it is still the place where blokes can get all night,a lady young enough to be their daughter for the price of a lady from back home for a hour,

as iam single,not settle down with wifey like any number of ex mongers,who remember the laughs,the bevies downed and cheap ladies,and think Pattaya is now cleaned up,

shit its still party central, if you like all your pleasures in life, cheap.

Pattaya!! long may she reign.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 2