Shanghai - A 17 hour Layover

Horizondave

I am traveling to Thailand at Christmas via Peking and returning via Shanghai on Air China in early January.

The transit time at Peking is acceptable to stay at the airport but the layover at Shanghai is 17 hours (I particularly chose this flight) and as I have always wanted to go into Shanghai I was interested to know what there is to do.

I am traveling only with my daughter who has a British passport so no problem with Transit Without Visa (TWOV).

I know there is a Disneyland but as this is January, the coldest month in Shanghai I doubt it will be open, couldn't tell from the website so any knowledge as to opening times would be good and transport to get there.

What is there to do in Shanghai, looking to see the new and the traditional.

Anywhere I have to go if in Shanghai is welcome info.

Any good places to eat where I might understand the menu.

Just good info for 2 people arriving into Shanghai about 0725 in the morning and leaving at 0025 the next day.

I may get a hotel for a bit of sleep as rates seem very low at that time of year but intend on going into Shanghai from the airport early and spending at least 5-7 hours around the city.

Appreciate any info as well as dos and don'ts.....

No idea about Shanghai, but in Beijing they have a hotel in the terminal that you can rent short term rooms at (a few hours at a time). I did it and it was nice to get a few hours kip and have a shower etc. They could have the same thing in Shanghai.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you booked your ticket through a travel agent rather than direct with the airline they may be also to assist you with some organised tours.  Whilst the downside to organised tours is that the tour guide dictates the times, the plus side is you often get round an number of places very quickly that you would be unable to do so under your own steam.

@Horizondave

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

No idea about Shanghai, but in Beijing they have a hotel in the terminal that you can rent short term rooms at (a few hours at a time). I did it and it was nice to get a few hours kip and have a shower etc. They could have the same thing in Shanghai.

I am being told I have access to a lounge c/o Air China so that should suffice especially as I will be with my daughter (wife at home). Been to Peking before so happy with the transit facilities but Shanghai I want to get into town and may get one of the airport hotels advertised for about £25 - £40 to come back to freshen up before our flight. 

Edited by Horizondave

There is a metro station in the airport on the right as you head to the exit.

it is cheap and easy to use. Get a day pass. It is line 2 and heading to the city you have to change, I think it might be the first stop. You just walk across the platform and get the next train.

If you get out at east nanjing road it is a short walk to the bund where you can see the tall buildings across the river. The view is better at night when lit up.

nanjing road is a shopping street so plenty of food places.  If you was alone I would say stay away from the offers of massage, it is risky... There are a few knock off markets but I’ve always got cheaper in Thailand.

Never Been to Disneyland there.

• Thumbs Up 1

In checking the BA website for info on my brother's cancelled Malaga flight today I noticed this memo:

From 27 October 2019, British Airways will move all its operation from Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) to the newly developed Beijing Daxing Airport (PKX).

Anyhow this is info for anybody interested or planning flights to Beijing.  It concerns BA only as Air China (my flight) will still be operating to Beijing Capitol Airport in December (supposedly at the moment).

The Capitol Airport is operating at near or above capacity so this new airport will relieve the strains of excessive flight operations, should make my connection easier as well come December. 

Good link for those interested:

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3008696/chinas-airlines-jostle-position-new-mega-airport-rare-glimpse.

• 4 weeks later...

Found out yesterday that Air China (probably other airlines too) do not through check bags from Bangkok to London when transiting Shanghai despite being on Air China both sectors and same ticket.

I have to pick my luggage up and re check in before my onward flight. Not a major issue as I have 17 hours to spare so will find the luggage lockers before discovering the sights and sounds of the city.

On 9/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, john luke said:

If you booked your ticket through a travel agent rather than direct with the airline they may be also to assist you with some organised tours.  Whilst the downside to organised tours is that the tour guide dictates the times, the plus side is you often get round an number of places very quickly that you would be unable to do so under your own steam.

@Horizondave

He might get a taste for flag following and join in the Chinese tours in Thailand.😀

On 9/26/2019 at 8:45 AM, Horizondave said:

Found out yesterday that Air China (probably other airlines too) do not through check bags from Bangkok to London when transiting Shanghai despite being on Air China both sectors and same ticket.

I have to pick my luggage up and re check in before my onward flight. Not a major issue as I have 17 hours to spare so will find the luggage lockers before discovering the sights and sounds of the city.

I'd find a connecting hotel. Eat some Egg Foo Yung, have a wank, and a long nap.  😝

Just booked the Shanghai-Deco hotel near the airport for our arrival on 03 January.. 

Have found out that Disneyland is open all year and they have a Frozen (Elsa/Anna) themed show which is all my daughter needs.  The hotel has a free shuttle service to the airport but interestingly it also has a free shuttle service to Disneyland.  At £48 for the night (which includes breakfast which we won't we taking due early departure) it seems to be a good deal and reviews are pretty sound.

Dave Shanghai is a fabulous city for a short visit. Taxi down to the Bund ...old rebuilt dock area where all the old buildings are left the gateway to China and beautiful. 

Cross the river to the massive observation tower lift and wonderful views.

Back across the river Olde Town Jewish Quarter lovely to walk around and fabulous restaurants.

Cab back to airport job done. It's really spectacular down where I have written about and so space age in parts. Great city.:default_cheers:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, Horizondave said:

Just booked the Shanghai-Deco hotel near the airport for our arrival on 03 January.. 

Have found out that Disneyland is open all year and they have a Frozen (Elsa/Anna) themed show which is all my daughter needs.  The hotel has a free shuttle service to the airport but interestingly it also has a free shuttle service to Disneyland.  At £48 for the night (which includes breakfast which we won't we taking due early departure) it seems to be a good deal and reviews are pretty sound.

How was it? Or was it already an early victim of Covid-19?

3 hours ago, Freee!! said:

How was it? Or was it already an early victim of Covid-19?

The hotel was fantastic, really comfortable rooms. So comfortable that Kataleya fell asleep and we never made it to Disneyland.  Did do the Maglev to Shanghai and back. Enjoyed Shanghai but traveling around Shanghai. mixing with folk and traveling on Air China to London probably 95% full of Chinese makes me wonder if ever I had got Covid but was asymptomatic. 

Both myself and my 5 year old have been fine but 1 month after arrival my wife was off work for 2 weeks with a really bad case of the 'FLU' (she never got tested for Covid).

• 1 month later...

I know it's a pretty old thread but those cheapo Chinese flights from the UK to Bangkok with a layover in China look pretty good, especially if you're not too worried about time if you're planning long trips but... is it really worth the £100-£150 savings compared to say EVA direct.

I've seen a few that layover in Europe that are a lil cheaper compared to a direct UK to Bangkok flight... I guess those aren't too bad.

4 hours ago, RoamingNomad said:

I know it's a pretty old thread but those cheapo Chinese flights from the UK to Bangkok with a layover in China look pretty good, especially if you're not too worried about time if you're planning long trips but... is it really worth the £100-£150 savings compared to say EVA direct.

I've seen a few that layover in Europe that are a lil cheaper compared to a direct UK to Bangkok flight... I guess those aren't too bad.

Check out the Middle East layovers/connections, usually cheaper than connection in Europe and it breaks the travel into more equal parts.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, RoamingNomad said:

I used Air China because at the time (over Christmas) it came up number 2 on the list of cheap fares on Skyscanner and the savings compared to other airlines was immense for 2 of us.  It also worked into my plans mainly for the return as I wanted to visit Shanghai so the 17 hour layover was welcome but I did get a hotel near the airport (excellent choice).

On the way out I had a 7 hour transit at Beijing but we had access to a lounge for that time, it wasn't quite an exec lounge but was comfortable with food and very welcome especially as I had a 4 year old with me.

I was impressed with Air China, they were as good as most European and Middle Eastern carriers I had been on.  Out of our 4 flights 3 were excellent on new aircraft with the A350 on the flight back from Shanghai. The flight to Beijing out of Heathrow was on an older airbus but we had 2 seats alone at the window and the service was fine.

I would use Air China again if traveling with family (to save money) but if it was just me I would probably go on a non stop service.