What are you driving now?

KhunDon

On 10/11/2018 at 11:39 PM, Rompho Ray said:

This is my baby, 1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5.  Pictures taken earlier today.

Bought brand new in September of 1985.  About 220K on the clock.  Her appearance suffers from literally decades of neglect, but she starts immediately, runs like a dream, no squeaks or rattles, good highway manners, easy to drive in traffic.  Part-time 4WD means she's great in snow.  Bumpers are the only non-stock items.  Been off the road a bunch of times (purposely), took everything I threw at her and kept up with anything that was not heavily modified.

I keep promising her that I'm gonna fix her up.  I truly do mean to do that.

20181011_155156s.thumb.jpg.84774be427a8617225d5c40e30fe24e0.jpg

20181011_155344s.thumb.jpg.2f88295ebe155b0d14d2953b0a59d099.jpg

The older Toyota’s go on for ever. She’s probably going to see you out. 🤗

On 10/12/2018 at 12:28 AM, STARGAZER said:

Yes you can buy a 2019 Mustang in USA now in Oct 2018.....

153633853_ScreenShot2561-10-12at6_26_13AM.thumb.png.e881d626cc255dcc8f8371e369464433.png

Saw one in UK last week. Must have been the V8, because it made quite a noise racing past me. 

Grey haired elderly woman was driving it. 👍🤗

On 10/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, Chokdeekap said:

In storage in Qatar ....so not really driving ...

C7D65385-CF3B-4127-B0E6-CAFC7597CB1C.jpegE1C18080-2000-4822-9A18-A6B4A081E6EA.jpeg954BC37E-594B-4058-95FE-87BD3A1C9B46.jpeg

My brother in law bought a Long wheelbase Shogun from a guy who had brought it back from there. Must have been around 89.

He kept it for bloody years and it’s still up on the farm carrying around hay bales and the occasional sick pig or sheep. I used to drive it on the “Boxing Day pub crawl” as I wasn’t drinking then. Stuffed about 10 into it and visited around 10 pubs over the day. 

He bought a new Warrior 2 years ago and the dealership called it in and gave him a new one because his and many others, had chassis cracking problems.

6 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

My brother in law bought a Long wheelbase Shogun from a guy who had brought it back from there. Must have been around 89.

He kept it for bloody years and it’s still up on the farm carrying around hay bales and the occasional sick pig or sheep. I used to drive it on the “Boxing Day pub crawl” as I wasn’t drinking then. Stuffed about 10 into it and visited around 10 pubs over the day. 

He bought a new Warrior 2 years ago and the dealership called it in and gave him a new one because his and many others, had chassis cracking problems.

They are great motors , they will run for ever... both of these are brought out of showroom the black one is short wheelbase 2006 model, the grey/blue long wheelbase is 2016 model , both reasonably priced as there’s no duty on them . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

I sometimes say I'm going to arrange to be buried in it.  Sometimes I'm kidding...

Go for it.  And if you could manage to drive yourself to the cemetery and drop it in the hole, think of the money you could save on funeral expenses. 🤣

The most practical car i could own in Thailand imo, i can drive to Bangers/Pattaya and also to wifey's village out in the boondocks with all the potholed unmade roads. I've had it 12 years now, its done 158K and its only let me down once when the alternator packed up and the battery ran flat, Toyota repaired the alternator and 600bht later i was on me way. I can't speak highly enough of the car, i love it......

P1000698.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The most practical car i could own in Thailand imo, i can drive to Bangers/Pattaya and also to wifey's village out in the boondocks with all the potholed unmade roads. I've had it 12 years now, its done 158K and its only let me down once when the alternator packed up and the battery ran flat, Toyota repaired the alternator and 600bht later i was on me way. I can't speak highly enough of the car, i love it......

P1000698.JPG

Spot on Cliff.....I was not even remotely sure I would like a SUV after driving my "Japanese Corvette" for 12 years LOL! 

I love my SUV too.....a sign of getting older perhaps LOL! 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wife drives a Mazda 6 here in the U.K. (badly)  but to be honest they are a great car, it’s a 2004 model with 98k on it now and has only ever needed a new front spring , regularly serviced it does everything we ask of it, it’s let down by rusty wheelarches now, but all in all the best 3 grand we ever spent 11 years ago.

I have a Subaru Impreza WRX as a daily driver, again it’s practical and reliable (touch wood) as well as being fairly quick, and in the Philippines we run a Fortuna diesel automatic.

I drive a oldish holden calais brought it a few years back for less than the cost of a one way flight to thailand ,its now done 300k spend nothing on it but a few tyres and a battery ,older big 6 or 8 cylinder cars are worth nothing here 

Ohh yes just remembered the cd stacker in the boot has died .I should dump it and get another car 

19 minutes ago, Nickrock said:

I drive a oldish holden calais brought it a few years back for less than the cost of a one way flight to thailand ,its now done 300k spend nothing on it but a few tyres and a battery ,older big 6 or 8 cylinder cars are worth nothing here 

Ohh yes just remembered the cd stacker in the boot has died .I should dump it and get another car 

Same in France, but the roadtax is a killer for those "big engine" cars as it is mainly based on engine size.

Honda Click 125 in Pattaya. Sold my 20 year old car in oz but kept my Hyosung motorbike. Use public transport in the Philippines, tho I have licences just not keen to drive on the "wrong" side of the road!! 

Just a ps; my 20 year old car was costing me $550 a year in road tax, only visited once a year so cheaper and easier to hire a car from the airport.

Edited by biggles

10 hours ago, biggles said:

Honda Click 125 in Pattaya. Sold my 20 year old car in oz but kept my Hyosung motorbike. Use public transport in the Philippines, tho I have licences just not keen to drive on the "wrong" side of the road!! 

Just a ps; my 20 year old car was costing me $550 a year in road tax, only visited once a year so cheaper and easier to hire a car from the airport.

This may be the last vehicle I ever own. Objective is to live in a location where I can use public trans. or cheap hire. But..... you never know how things will turn out.

The cost saving of not owning a vehicle is huge when you add it up - Of course things can vary depending on where you live and how you use it.

- purchase/finance cost

- insurance

- maintenance 

- parking

- depreciation

- taxes/fines

- gas

- accidents