Tony and Chanpen Bua Yai

Shipping personal items to Thailand, is it worth it?

Not read the whole thread but my mate Mike has recently sold up and moved here and he’s shipping a load of books and other stuff over here. Will let you know how he gets on when/if he receives it.

My advice is to choose very carefully what you ship over here.  Absolutely no furniture or appliances. I shipped only clothes suitable for Thailand. My US job required ties, sports jackets and suits. There were a lot of well dressed veterans because I brought only clothes that I would wear here. Even all the long sleeved shirts were donated to a veterans group. The most important items were my hand tools.

The US uses 110/120 volt so any electrical appliances are not worth shipping. I remember unpacking my things and was asking myself why I would ship some of the useless crap. Some of what I considered sentimental items were put away and very seldom looked at. I did ship a high quality Sony boom box. I had to buy a transformer to use it here. My girlfriend at the time took it from the bedroom into the kitchen and didn't bother to use the transformer. She told me that it had a problem because it was smoking. Other than yelling at her for being stupid, it was ruined and went in the trash. You also have to consider that you will probably move several times until you find a place that suits you. It was a hassle dragging all that extra junk for each move.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Gary said:

You also have to consider that you will probably move several times until you find a place that suits you. It was a hassle dragging all that extra junk for each move.

and that was a big factor in me not bringing all my belongings over, the apartments we rented were all furnished. WTF do you do with them all until you find a place to settle long term ? will the freight company hold on to them for you ?

39 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and that was a big factor in me not bringing all my belongings over, the apartments we rented were all furnished. WTF do you do with them all until you find a place to settle long term ? will the freight company hold on to them for you ?

When I left HKG, I left 80% of my personal stuff in a warehouse there. 2 Trunks.

Now, we're speaking personal things, not furniture or so.

Why I left if  ? Simply because I estimated our chance for Miss Indo and me living together 24/7 to work out at 70% NO, 30 % yes.

It was only after 1 year we went back to HKG to retrieve it. Our chances are now 50/50 so I took my chance.

Furniture, brown and white hardware can be bought anywhere. Not important.

Of course thats a one guy/one gall situation. Completely different from when I moved from France to BKK with the ex and 3 kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

That's a good point. Most rentals, house or condo are furnished. It's rarely the case that you will see unfurnished condos or houses. When I bought my condo, it was furnished including a TV, pots. pans, dishes and silverware. I did have to buy towels, a computer, computer desk, a TV for the bedroom and washing machine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2019 at 10:26 PM, Gary said:

My advice is to choose very carefully what you ship over here.  Absolutely no furniture or appliances. I shipped only clothes suitable for Thailand. My US job required ties, sports jackets and suits. There were a lot of well dressed veterans because I brought only clothes that I would wear here. Even all the long sleeved shirts were donated to a veterans group. The most important items were my hand tools.

The US uses 110/120 volt so any electrical appliances are not worth shipping. I remember unpacking my things and was asking myself why I would ship some of the useless crap. Some of what I considered sentimental items were put away and very seldom looked at. I did ship a high quality Sony boom box. I had to buy a transformer to use it here. My girlfriend at the time took it from the bedroom into the kitchen and didn't bother to use the transformer. She told me that it had a problem because it was smoking. Other than yelling at her for being stupid, it was ruined and went in the trash. You also have to consider that you will probably move several times until you find a place that suits you. It was a hassle dragging all that extra junk for each move.

We brought several kitchen appliances, and when I built the house up country I installed a heavy duty transformer we also shipped over in a kitchen cabinet and had the builders route an extra pair of plug sockets down to it.  Those sockets are clearly labeled 110VAC, and all the appliances that use it are in the same cabinet as the transformer.

Fortunately, as TW lived in the US for more than a decade we don't have a problem knowing which plug to use.  Having things like our large Cuisinart food processor ($250 in the US, over $1000 here) and a decent large size tortilla press among other things made it worth it for us.

EDIT:  We also brought a lot of furniture, because once you go for a container you might as well fill it up.  It's funny because a lot of our furniture was hand carved teak tables, etc, that I had originally shipped to the US from Thailand.  We could have sold it easily at a good price, but we really liked it so we brought it back.

Edited by tko
  • Like 2