NFL

Stillearly

20 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

The Jets offense was awful last night, gave up watching the game part way through the 3rd quarter.

I struggle to understand Bell- given the finite career of sportsmen, why would sit out an entire season to head to the Jets? I know money is the answer but surely he could have gone almost anywhere, like Brown?

Spot on. To lose a whole season refusing $12 million because you wanted $16( maybe my numbers are off) is foolish. And his position of running back is quite funny that way. They finish college at 21 or 22, and are usually signed for 4 years at a low salary. Once they have proven themselves, they are “ entitled” to a huge raise, often over $10 mill a year. But once they reach 31 or 32, many have already slowed down and lost a step and suddenly no team will re-sign them unless they take a huge pay cut. Compare to QB like Brady still making top $ in their early 40’s

Im a huge statistics guy, and the yardage record is just over 18,000 by Emmitt Smith. So many RB reach 10,000 yards quickly, looking like they might break his record, and suddenly they are injured or retired before they even hit 13,000! It is a young man’s position. Barry Sanders would have destroyed the record, but retired healthy at age 30. Adrian Peterson I feel is one of the best ever, but just lost 2 full years due to injury and his child abuse conviction. Ray Rice had 6k by age 26, but never played another game due to socking his wife on camera. Bell would also easily have been top 5 all time had he not skipped a year. 

The list goes on and on. Let’s just say Emmitt’s record is very safe. He was not the best IMO, but was very durable and played behind an offensive line of 330 pound monsters who blocked very well. Larry Allen was one of them, an amazing specimen. I wish I could upload the clip, he once chased down a linebacker who intercepted a pass, preventing a touchdown. The guy was 80 pounds lighter and had a 20 yard head start, and Larry still caught him. Unreal

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just 2 games in and already a couple of huge names have gone down to injury, both Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who is lost for the year, and Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, out with a torn ligament in the thumb of his throwing hand, and will miss potentially 8 weeks.

Something I have always wondered about is why head coaches never give the backup qb hardly any reps with the first team since that player is just a play away from going in. In North American team sports, the quarterback is the single most important position for any team, but it never fails to amaze me how there is such a huge drop off in execution of  play between the starter and the backup.

I saw it with my own team, the Oakland Raiders, when our qb, Derek Carr went down with an injury and the back up was just atrocious. So it goes with many teams in the NFL.

Could be a long year for Pitt and New Orleans.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Just 2 games in and already a couple of huge names have gone down to injury, both Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who is lost for the year, and Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, out with a torn ligament in the thumb of his throwing hand, and will miss potentially 8 weeks.

Something I have always wondered about is why head coaches never give the backup qb hardly any reps with the first team since that player is just a play away from going in. In North American team sports, the quarterback is the single most important position for any team, but it never fails to amaze me how there is such a huge drop off in execution of  play between the starter and the backup.

I saw it with my own team, the Oakland Raiders, when our qb, Derek Carr went down with an injury and the back up was just atrocious. So it goes with many teams in the NFL.

Could be a long year for Pitt and New Orleans.

Jesse Palmer was on SportsCentre and said bluntly Big Ben, as we knew him, is done career wise. He can get the surgery and heal up, but  his arm will never be as potent. Turning 38 in March, I wish him the best but no shame in hanging it up with the career he’s had. 

I was shocked by Luck’s retirement. But more players are very spooked by the whole CTE thing, and who can blame them? Over 100 brains have been dissected from ex NFLers, and 99% had signs of the disease. Pretty conclusive to me. Calvin Johnson was another guy who could have put up crazy stats for years to come, but stepped away at age 30. It can’t be easy turning down an extra $50, 60, maybe $100 million+ just to help make sure you have all your marbles into your 60’s and on. 

Either way, there are no guarantees

• Great Info 1

Statement from Ben Roethlisberger: "I’ve been informed that I need season ending surgery on my elbow to continue playing football at the level I expect. This is shocking and heartbreaking for me, to miss this much of a season and feel like I am letting down so many people. I can only trust God’s plan, but I am completely determined to battle through this challenge and come back stronger than ever next season. The Steelers committed three years to me this off season and I fully intend to honor my contract and reward them with championship level play. I will do all I can to support Mason and the team this season to help win games. I love this game, my teammates, the Steelers organization and fans, and I feel in my heart I have a lot left to give."

Big Ben has earned $230 million since starting with the Steelers. His new 2-year extension with the Steelers is worth $68 million, and includes a $37.5 million signing bonus. I would just hang up the towel if I were him and walk into the Hall of Fame. 

24 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Statement from Ben Roethlisberger: "I’ve been informed that I need season ending surgery on my elbow to continue playing football at the level I expect. This is shocking and heartbreaking for me, to miss this much of a season and feel like I am letting down so many people. I can only trust God’s plan, but I am completely determined to battle through this challenge and come back stronger than ever next season. The Steelers committed three years to me this off season and I fully intend to honor my contract and reward them with championship level play. I will do all I can to support Mason and the team this season to help win games. I love this game, my teammates, the Steelers organization and fans, and I feel in my heart I have a lot left to give."

Big Ben has earned $230 million since starting with the Steelers. His new 2-year extension with the Steelers is worth $68 million, and includes a $37.5 million signing bonus. I would just hang up the towel if I were him and walk into the Hall of Fame. 

And buy a condo in BKK or Pattaya????

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

It needs an understanding of the past/current NFL to grasp it, but that doesn't feel like an unreasonable expectation for this thread.

Hardly going to attract new fans with that approach.

18 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I agree 100%, we are so used to utilizing abbreviations to shorten our texts. It occurred to me while writing not everyone is American and a big NFL fan. 

MNF = Monday Night Football, a single game played on Monday night while the other 14(or so) are played on Sundays, with one also on Thursday evening

QB = the quarterback, the player who runs the offence

Odell Beckham Jr. is a player known for possessing large hands, he has repeatedly caught long passes with a single hand. The likes of which have never been seen

Happy to help. Now I love to watch snooker, if anyone can explain to me when a “miss” is called, or when the attempt to get out of a snooker is deemed not to be a “miss”, even if the ball is not touched

Thanks - one more clarification needed.  What is a mono?

Can't help with the snooker question even though I enjoy watching it too.

12 minutes ago, KWA said:

The 'miss' rule is down to the referee's opinion as to if the player has made a good enough attempt to hit the ball,there is no set in stone limit.If the ref thinks you made a good effort and still missed your opponent can ask you to retake it if he don't fancy where the white has positioned.

You can't call a miss if there is only the black left,and they won't call one if its an impossible snooker to get out of.

• Great Info 2

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

The 'miss' rule is down to the referee's opinion as to if the player has made a good enough attempt to hit the ball,there is no set in stone limit.If the ref thinks you made a good effort and still missed your opponent can ask you to retake it if he don't fancy where the white has positioned.

You can't call a miss if there is only the black left,and they won't call one if its an impossible snooker to get out of.

OK it’s kind of like I thought, referee has discretion. I have seen matches where there are 2-3 close calls, and then the player comes a little closer and a miss is not called. Really cruel snooker can be

Anyway.....sorry to TF, back to the real football

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Trying to attract new NFL fans on this forum, could lead to Evangelism. 

TFing everywhere. 

Worse than all the Association Football talk on here. 

:default_party-smiley-048:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

At Tottenham yesterday for Tampa Bay's traditional London stuffing. 

Only just got in my seat pre-game and the TB fan next to me begins to criticise the stadium for several failings. Finish with lack of cup holders in the seats😀

Cup holders WTF!!! 

Struggled to keep a straight face as the TB quarterback throws an interception on the first play to begin their thrashing. 

IMG_20191014_090647.jpg

• Haha 1

So many bad calls in the NFL this year, and this GB-Detroit game was just the latest example. How many bad calls can be tolerated by the league? You barely even touch a quarterback these days and it's roughing the passer. It's BS!

The horrendous officiating is robbing teams of a just victory. That missed pass interference call for the ages in the Rams-Saints game last post season was the most egregious example, but it seems that the refs haven't got a clue as to what constitutes a penalty and what doesn't.

The only thing for certain is that St. Brady of the New England Patriots, who is the patron saint of the hallowed "tuck" rule, shall not have his jersey or any part of his anatomy touched, caressed, massaged, accidentally brushed or bumped in passing by a defender, or in any way have his vision or passing lane be infringed upon by said defender.

It may be permissible however to wink at him, but only if it is 3rd down and more than 20 yards to go for a first down.

The face of the league has to be protected at all costs after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jcolorado said:

Utter BS. And it would seem there is no accountability to be held by such rouge acting officials.

Yes and no. I just read that the NFL New York Office said that the second foul was not a penalty and should not have been called.

The game stands, but I believe that there will be a head that rolls in the near future.

6 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Yes and no. I just read that the NFL New York Office said that the second foul was not a penalty and should not have been called.

The game stands, but I believe that there will be a head that rolls in the near future.

We thought those replacement zebras were bad a few years back......maybe give out some early pensions and let some new blood in. 

Bad calls happen, but shouldn’t be consistently altering outcomes of games.

Its unfair and really pisses the gamblers off

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't get me started on The Rams....yeah I know, no one likes The Rams except me. Jared Goff is the highest paid player in NFL History?  What a joke...seriously. I have never seen a pro QB miss so many open recievers in my life...and I have watched a few over the years. Maybe Roman Gabriel can come out of retirement to save this season? LOL! 

They actually looked good in the first quarter against the Niners last week, great running game without Gurley. Then promptly laid an egg the next 3 quarters with Goff leading the way.  I personally think if he dos not looll good this week against Atlanta, McVay should consider replacing him with Blake Bortles, probably not gooing to hapen though. 

Not sure getting Jalen Ramsey is going to help them, getting rid of Peters, an all pro cornerback should send a strong mesaage to these guys they better get it together.

I am pissed, I am going to go beat the shit out of the wife now!  Then I will truly feel like an NFL player LOL!  Unbelivable how many of these guys every week are charged with domestic violence. Taking Rachanee to see my old alma mater, San Jose State play Sat afternoon against San Diego State. She does like Football. 

Edited by Yessongs

3 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Don't get me started on The Rams....yeah I know, no one likes The Rams except me. Jared Goff is the highest paid player in NFL History?  What a joke...seriously. I have never seen a pro QB miss so many open recievers in my life...and I have watched a few over the years. Maybe Roman Gabriel can come out of retirement to save this season? LOL! 

They actually looked good in the first quarter against the Niners last week, great running game without Gurley. Then promptly laid an egg the next 3 quarters with Goff leading the way.  I personally think if he dos not looll good this week against Atlanta, McVay should consider replacing him with Blake Bortles, probably not gooing to hapen though. 

Not sure getting Jalen Ramsey is going to help them, getting rid of Peters, an all pro cornerback should send a strong mesaage to these guys they better get it together.

I am pissed, I am going to go beat the shit out of the wife now!  Then I will truly feel like an NFL player LOL!  Unbelivable how many of these guys every week are charged with domestic violence. Taking Rachanee to see my old alma mater, San Jose State play Sat afternoon against San Diego State. She does like Football. 

I was just on YouTube and got suggested a video on Kaepernick. Max Kellerman and others were discussing how much he is hated and no owner will ever sign him, even though his skills are fine. 32 teams means 64 QB starters/backups, we all know even a washed up Kaepernick could easily fill many of those spots, and multiple teams could use the help. 

They just don’t want him, at any price

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I was just on YouTube and got suggested a video on Kaepernick. Max Kellerman and others were discussing how much he is hated and no owner will ever sign him, even though his skills are fine. 32 teams means 64 QB starters/backups, we all know even a washed up Kaepernick could easily fill many of those spots, and multiple teams could use the help. 

They just don’t want him, at any price

maybe if he changed his MO and stopped being such a troublemaker he could get a job.

most people who want jobs dont give the new boss the finger.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1