Sign in to follow this  
mrcharliemofo

Information needed about phone cameras

I've tried searching the internet for an answer but nothing shows up that's relevant to me so any information or explanation here will be appreciated.

How do the numbers on photos taken on a phone work ?

My friend ( not my girlfriend ) has been sending me selfies, she's not the sort that's forever taking photos for Facebook or any of that shit and to be honest in the nearly 3 years I've known her she's rarely taking photos. Now for the last 2-3 months she's been sending me photos via Line and I've noticed the numbers of the photos seem to be way out, she sent me some last night and the numbers started at 42024 and ended at 42031. Tonight she has sent me some more and they start at no 42875 which means to me she's taken 844 photos since last night, yeah some of you will say typical thai girl but first of all she sent me the last one last night and said she was sick and going to sleep and she never woke up until gone 3pm today so to have taken 844 photos today just doesn't add up.

Can anybody on here explain to me how these numbers work please ?

EDIT....Now I'm really confused, I've just looked at the numbers on some photos she sent me at the start of July and they have started at 43963 so higher than now FFS, how do these numbers work !

While the other replies are amusing, the answer is you're looking at the phones filing system ID for the photos. It probably uses a hash function to assign a unique ID for each file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function

A hash function is any function that can be used to map data of arbitrary size to fixed-size values.[1] The values returned by a hash function are called hash values, hash codes, digests, or simply hashes. Hash functions are often used in combination with a hash table, a common data structure used in computer software for rapid data lookup. Hash functions accelerate table or database lookup by detecting duplicated records in a large file.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I've noticed the numbers of the photos seem to be way out, she sent me some last night and the numbers started at 42024 and ended at 42031.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

While the other replies are amusing, the answer is you're looking at the phones filing system ID for the photos. It probably uses a hash function to assign a unique ID for each file.

If they go from 42024 through to 42031 then they not hashes, it's a sequence (or a really bash hashing algorithm).

What sets the start value of the sequence is the question. And are the "numbers" being assigned by Line or by the camera.

My Samsung phone assigns photo names of the form date_time.JPG.

My old Nokia (Symbian OS) assigns photo names of the form ddmmyyyysss.JPG where sss is a sequence although it doesn't start at 0 or 1.

See if the EXIF info for the photos is intact. It can contain the date/time the photo was taken.

16 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I've tried searching the internet for an answer but nothing shows up that's relevant to me so any information or explanation here will be appreciated.

How do the numbers on photos taken on a phone work ?

My friend ( not my girlfriend ) has been sending me selfies, she's not the sort that's forever taking photos for Facebook or any of that shit and to be honest in the nearly 3 years I've known her she's rarely taking photos. Now for the last 2-3 months she's been sending me photos via Line and I've noticed the numbers of the photos seem to be way out, she sent me some last night and the numbers started at 42024 and ended at 42031. Tonight she has sent me some more and they start at no 42875 which means to me she's taken 844 photos since last night, yeah some of you will say typical thai girl but first of all she sent me the last one last night and said she was sick and going to sleep and she never woke up until gone 3pm today so to have taken 844 photos today just doesn't add up.

Can anybody on here explain to me how these numbers work please ?

EDIT....Now I'm really confused, I've just looked at the numbers on some photos she sent me at the start of July and they have started at 43963 so higher than now FFS, how do these numbers work !

A candidate for the Forum's most boring topic of the year award.

Now if you had included a few photo's of the "selfies" might have been a different matter. 🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Now if you had included a few photo's of the "selfies" might have been a different matter. 🤣

Too true. Selfies would have added an interest level to this thread lol.

I would be for an early grave if I was concerned about the sequencing of photos sent by a 'friend',  better to just understand that she is likely to be sending photos to others if she isn't your special one. Probably just moved up the list of contacts by a notch or two.

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Happy now ?

42875.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

If they go from 42024 through to 42031 then they not hashes, it's a sequence (or a really bash hashing algorithm).

What sets the start value of the sequence is the question. And are the "numbers" being assigned by Line or by the camera.

My Samsung phone assigns photo names of the form date_time.JPG.

My old Nokia (Symbian OS) assigns photo names of the form ddmmyyyysss.JPG where sss is a sequence although it doesn't start at 0 or 1.

See if the EXIF info for the photos is intact. It can contain the date/time the photo was taken.

I got talking to a mate who is an expert photographer last night, he said pretty much the same as you that it's basically a Line thing, he also said Messenger wipes all the EXIF info too.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Too true. Selfies would have added an interest level to this thread lol.

I would be for an early grave if I was concerned about the sequencing of photos sent by a 'friend',  better to just understand that she is likely to be sending photos to others if she isn't your special one. Probably just moved up the list of contacts by a notch or two.

And just for you Dave.

I'll probably get banned now 5555

41051.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

And just for you Dave.

41051.jpg

That could give someone a selfie stick.

3 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

And just for you Dave.

41051.jpg

that doesn't look like a selfie to me , looks like a "close friend" took it for her ....hope it was you 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

that doesn't look like a selfie to me , looks like a "close friend" took it for her ....hope it was you 😉 

Timer.

• Haha 1
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Looks more like someone sitting in her bed took that photo

Just what I was thinking.  Lol

Sign in to follow this