• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Glasseye

Health Insurance Supplement For Thai Nationals

I am wondering about the cost (roughly) for Thai Nationals and/or a good source to contact to determine premiums, etc.

I know they have nationalized health care, but I'm interested in learning about supplemental plans, primarily for in patient care. Basically a plan that would help them (a thai national) receive a better level of care if needed. 

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

You can contact all the normal companies that we would deal with when living in Thailand, they will quote you.  There are of course the banks etc who are always offering levels of care/insurance for Thai nationals, may be worth looking at that route.

Of course if the Thai national is working for a reputable company it may be an avenue to talk with them as paying taxes etc offers a certain level I believe.

3 hours ago, Horizondave said:

You can contact all the normal companies that we would deal with when living in Thailand, they will quote you.  There are of course the banks etc who are always offering levels of care/insurance for Thai nationals, may be worth looking at that route.

Of course if the Thai national is working for a reputable company it may be an avenue to talk with them as paying taxes etc offers a certain level I believe.

Are you aware if supplemental policies can add to the national care program. Or do they have to be completely separate (if you follow me) ?

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Are you aware if supplemental policies can add to the national care program. Or do they have to be completely separate (if you follow me) ?

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I am not sure but would hope so.

I know that even under the 30 baht scheme you can pay for a better level of care such as private room etc but again only talking with hospitals directly or medical insurance companies would the real facts of supplemental care be known.

11 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I am not sure but would hope so.

I know that even under the 30 baht scheme you can pay for a better level of care such as private room etc but again only talking with hospitals directly or medical insurance companies would the real facts of supplemental care be known.

That's more good info. I can speak with the Thai national insurance people when I am there to see what the options are.

I made enquiries regarding getting wifey decent cover with numerous companies, tbh the level of cover on offer was pretty pathetic so i'm still looking. If ya find anything decent Glasseye i'd be interested in it.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:59 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

I made enquiries regarding getting wifey decent cover with numerous companies, tbh the level of cover on offer was pretty pathetic so i'm still looking. If ya find anything decent Glasseye i'd be interested in it.

okie dokie. Same to you.

It's not easy to find the right coverage with many things, anywhere. Pain in the ass. But.... it's really good to have. Something I've always done a lot of research on.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

okie dokie. Same to you.

It's not easy to find the right coverage with many things, anywhere. Pain in the ass. But.... it's really good to have. Something I've always done a lot of research on.

I spent 25 years in the insurance industry in the UK so i know a decent policy/cover when i see one. Everything i've seen in Thailand falls way short of what i would call proper cover and it ain't cheap to boot, welcome to Thailand lol

the national health for those paying taxes here .. covers pattaya city hosptial.  thats brand new and excellent, plus most of the quacks are really from places like BPH.  rooms are cheap, under 1k for private.  things are on the up for thais and those working here.  but i admit i still have private ins too.

5 hours ago, tommy dee said:

the national health for those paying taxes here .. covers pattaya city hosptial.  thats brand new and excellent, plus most of the quacks are really from places like BPH.  rooms are cheap, under 1k for private.  things are on the up for thais and those working here.  but i admit i still have private ins too.

I would think a supplemental may give a Thai a bit more flexibility to be able to get perhaps a better room, especially in a rural area. From what I see the National care is not bad. But I've also read stories that some folks can end up in some rather dismal conditions.

23 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I would think a supplemental may give a Thai a bit more flexibility to be able to get perhaps a better room, especially in a rural area. From what I see the National care is not bad. But I've also read stories that some folks can end up in some rather dismal conditions.

even rural hosptails have private rooms, i rented one for someone in nakhorn nowhere for 500 baht a day, ac and tv.  here its about 1K from memory.  the nat ins program here is vastly improved.  several staff have had treatement and ops on it, all good

A friend of my wife had a baby in Hua Hin government hospital. She had a private room (which was very nice) and for a 3 day stay paid 6000 baht total for all her care and accommodation.  I think that is pretty good considering she was paying for an enhanced service.

My daughter was in hospital for 10 days after delivery (because she caught pneumonia) and total cost was 136000 baht. Should have been more because her stay was extended 3 days due an inability of the nurses to get a needle into my wee one's hand and she caught a secondary infection. After complaining to the manager of the hospital (after being advised of her extended stay) our bill was reduced by about 30000 baht.

I think the basic package in the private hospital was 37000 baht (Bangkok Khon Kaen Hospital)

On 9/16/2019 at 4:56 PM, Horizondave said:

There are of course the banks etc who are always offering levels of care/insurance for Thai nationals, may be worth looking at that route.

My exwife was Ill and had to be admitted into the hospital here in Pattaya she went to Bangkok Pattaya hospital. I told her she choose the most expensive of the hospitals here to go to. She said she has insurance from her bank I figured ok but how much would it really pay towards her 3 day stay in a private room? The cost of the insurance was only 3500 baht a year. Well when she checked out the bill was just under 30K and her amount owed was just under 3K great deal I would suggest those that can get this do it. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this