So having an old a non-immigrant Visa will me and you need health insurance effective soon?

Yesitisdakid

21 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

Disagree.  Health care is so cheap there that comprehensive insurance is a waste of money.  Also, many come from countries where they have a national insurance plan and can simply go home and get care, no need to pay for insurance twice. 

I can see limited emergency care insurance for example, and possibly cover for major medical issues like cancer.  Comprehensive health coverage in Thailand?  Naah.

I lived in Thailand for 10+ years.  Never had health insurance.  Took care of everything from the flu to major orthopedic surgery out of pocket, never remotely a problem.

Ray, you took a massive gamble my friend. You did daily jaunts from Jomtein to Pattaya on the back of a small motorbike, your lady driving. If you'd been in an accident you'd have been at the mercy of potentially Millions of Baht medical fees. You definitely need insurance.

16 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

But what choice has tko got ?

Exercise, reduce His blood pressure. I had high blood pressure for about a year there. Threw away the pills, cycle 25k a day on an indoor bike and lift weights. It's been back to normal for a while now.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, farangme said:

Ray, you took a massive gamble my friend. You did daily jaunts from Jomtein to Pattaya on the back of a small motorbike, your lady driving. If you'd been in an accident you'd have been at the mercy of potentially Millions of Baht medical fees. You definitely need insurance.

Yes I agree with your thought process Richard and Ray, if I remember, the hip surgery you mentioned was only a few hundred thousand short of a million baht. In 15 years I probably only spent about 450,000 total to be fully covered except for the first 25,000 baht, a small amount compared to what it could have cost had I needed major medical surgery which is why I took out the insurance in the first place.

The fact that nothing major happened is my good fortune but I was paying for peace of mind rather than living on a knife edge everyday betting on my health.

Of course paying out of one's pocket doesn't mean a problem will occur only once and there are plenty unable to afford even a basic amount to cover the cost of even minor surgery.

I live in UK now but will have travel insurance when visiting Thailand at New Year, my insurer has told me they will cover me as long as I declare pre existing conditions. I have a yearly insurance and awaiting a renewal quote from November.

When I was younger I don't remember having travel insurance but at my age it just seems to be the right thing to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, farangme said:

Exercise, reduce His blood pressure. I had high blood pressure for about a year there. Threw away the pills, cycle 25k a day on an indoor bike and lift weights. It's been back to normal for a while now.

Good for you mate but would that work for everyone ?

Disagree.  Health care is so cheap there that comprehensive insurance is a waste of money.  Also, many come from countries where they have a national insurance plan and can simply go home and get care, no need to pay for insurance twice. 
I can see limited emergency care insurance for example, and possibly cover for major medical issues like cancer.  Comprehensive health coverage in Thailand?  Naah.
I lived in Thailand for 10+ years.  Never had health insurance.  Took care of everything from the flu to major orthopedic surgery out of pocket, never remotely a problem.

What you’re basically saying is “I got lucky for ten years, didn’t get too ill, so nobody needs health insurance “

I’m glad you didn’t need treatment like my friend, Kevin, who’s now in a nursing home on the Dark side after having a major stroke. Can’t pay his bills at Bangkok Pattaya and is basically disabled. Can’t get home. Or the hundreds that die every year over here, penniless and the Thai Government has to pick up the bills.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and will they cover the pre-existing conditions and if so what is the cost over and above standard rates ? 

I've just bought travel insurance for my next 6 month trip.... by the time I'd gone through the medical screening and declared any pre existing conditions the price had doubled, but in theory I'm covered...

• Great Info 1

7 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and will they cover the pre-existing conditions and if so what is the cost over and above standard rates ? 

I am awaiting a quote but declaring existing conditions can still see me get cover.  

Now any heart surgery will count as existing condition and in my case I have to put down that I have had an aortic valve replaced. My surgeon has said that my heart is now in excellent condition and all arteries etc were also in fine fettle before my valve replacement. 

I am not expecting any issues and the insurance for me is more about what other things could befall me on my holiday.  I do understand that ongoing conditions that are likely to cause issue in the future can be covered but also agree the costs for insurance that covers you but without existing conditions could be cheaper.

I will wait to see what my offer is, my cover is with an airline employees insurance company so may be cheaper than otherwise..

• Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Painter said:

I've just bought travel insurance for my next 6 month trip.... by the time I'd gone through the medical screening and declared any pre existing conditions the price had doubled, but in theory I'm covered...

TFP and good that you're covered but what about coverage for your pre-existing conditions, are they excluded ? My very fit 86yo mum (with pacemaker) on her last trip out to see us for 3 weeks had to pay 750GBP's and that was the cheapest worthwhile cover she could get. She got no pre-existing conditions.

13 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Good for you mate but would that work for everyone ?

Well, I believe as we get older we should try and keep fit. Do something at least. It's definitely reduced my bp. Pills couldn't. I was 160 100 95 on pills it's come right down. Last night after exercise.

IMG_20191007_162008.jpg

Edited by farangme
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, farangme said:

Well, I believe as we get older we should try and keep fit. Do something at least. It's definitely reduced my bp. Pulls couldn't. I was 160 100 95 on pills it's come right down. Last night after exercise.

IMG_20191007_162008.jpg

Thats brill, well done. I'll do mine in the morning and post after i've had some exercise with wifey 🤣 seriously.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

TFP and good that you're covered but what about coverage for your pre-existing conditions, are they excluded ? My very fit 86yo mum (with pacemaker) on her last trip out to see us for 3 weeks had to pay 750GBP's and that was the cheapest worthwhile cover she could get. She got no pre-existing conditions.

They are included, according to the paperwork I've got. I'm obviously hoping I'll not have to test it, but it's with a well known company who have a good reputation and who i have used and claimed through before.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2019 at 5:47 PM, Bazle said:

It's not the first time I've read that but I don't bother and, so far, have not had it questioned. I had probably 4 transactions on the account in one year at the time of the last extension.

I agree I do not touch my account zero transactions in 15 years never asked about it they just want to see you have it. 

7 hours ago, roobob said:

If you have a Retirement Visa already and just applying for an extension.... the insurance is not needed.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1127756-mandatory-health-insurance-for-non-o-a-visa-effective-from-31-october/

cheers

yes but IMO that will change to all that have extensions of their retirement visa as well only makes sense if you think about it

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

yes but IMO that will change to all that have extensions of their retirement visa as well only makes sense if you think about it

Maybe it will... maybe it won't.... but why worry about it ….. it is something that we cannot control.

At the moment if you apply for the extension.... bottom line is that you do not need to get it..... so the ones already here on extensions it is not relevant to them.

cheers

Maybe it will... maybe it won't.... but why worry about it ….. it is something that we cannot control.
At the moment if you apply for the extension.... bottom line is that you do not need to get it..... so the ones already here on extensions it is not relevant to them.
cheers

I'm not worried in the least for myself but I am worried for a lot of my friends that this could affect

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I'm not worried in the least for myself but I am worried for a lot of my friends that this could affect

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

"Could" effect... could being the operative word...…. but at present it does not and there is no official word that they are looking at changing it.

cheers 

24 minutes ago, roobob said:

cheers

That approach makes that many end up in front of a big surprise and it all ends up in tears.....

Planning forward is the way.  Even when you're 60+, even more at that age as options are limited for most.

32 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

That approach makes that many end up in front of a big surprise and it all ends up in tears.....

Planning forward is the way.  Even when you're 60+, even more at that age as options are limited for most.

The people on extensions do not have to plan.... they are not affected by having to get insurance as it does not include them.

The ones who have to get the insurance are the ones applying for Non O-A Visa which are obtained from an Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand from 31 October 19.

If they decide that all will have to have insurance in the future.... so be it..... we have no control over that...…. it will not be an overnight thing.... there will be a period of time before the lead in to when it becomes necessary. Why worry about things that you have no control over..... if that time comes..... again if being the operative word..... there will be time for each individual to make the decision in what they want to do...…. not rocket science.

cheers 

27 minutes ago, roobob said:

The people on extensions do not have to plan.... they are not affected by having to get insurance as it does not include them.

The ones who have to get the insurance are the ones applying for Non O-A Visa which are obtained from an Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand from 31 October 19.

If they decide that all will have to have insurance in the future.... so be it..... we have no control over that...…. it will not be an overnight thing.... there will be a period of time before the lead in to when it becomes necessary. Why worry about things that you have no control over..... if that time comes..... again if being the operative word..... there will be time for each individual to make the decision in what they want to do...…. not rocket science.

cheers 

Why ? C/F @Jambo thread concerning his visit at immigration.

Expect the unexpected....

21 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Why ? C/F @Jambo thread concerning his visit at immigration.

Expect the unexpected....

People on extensions wont randomly be surprised by a request for insurance from some arsehole immigration officer... when this insurance requirement extends from those on a visa to include those on an extension it will be well publicized.

No need to expect the unexpected in this instance.

Edited by Sir_Fondles
  • Thumbs Up 1