So having an old a non-immigrant Visa will me and you need health insurance effective soon?

Yesitisdakid

4 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Why ? C/F @Jambo thread concerning his visit at immigration.

Expect the unexpected....

You're absolutely right as the head of immigration has outwardly said that the offices can basically read into the rules how they wish and however suits them we see this all the time. Read about it all the time on Thai Visa. Let's just hope the  jomtien IO people get it right. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

yes but IMO that will change to all that have extensions of their retirement visa as well only makes sense if you think about it

To get an OA you've always had to show a medical report as well as a police check from your home country, but they've never applied those rules to a Non-O and annual extensions. Whatever their logic there, I see no reason why they would treat health insurance any differently.

• Like 1

To get an OA you've always had to show a medical report as well as a police check from your home country, but they've never applied those rules to a Non-O and annual extensions. Whatever their logic there, I see no reason why they would treat health insurance any differently.
A medical report just says that the time the report was done that you're in good physical condition insurance is a totally different ballgame I would think it guarantees that should you not continue to be in good shape you would have enough Insurance to be covered so I could see why they would enforce it but let's see what happens

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

On 10/10/2019 at 12:42 AM, roobob said:

If you have a Retirement Visa already and just applying for an extension.... the insurance is not needed.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1127756-mandatory-health-insurance-for-non-o-a-visa-effective-from-31-october/

cheers

On 10/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, Yesitisdakid said:

yes but IMO that will change to all that have extensions of their retirement visa as well only makes sense if you think about it

On 10/10/2019 at 10:08 AM, roobob said:

"Could" effect... could being the operative word...…. but at present it does not and there is no official word that they are looking at changing it.

cheers 

http://www.khaosodenglish.com

4 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Within that link it claims that the insurance will be required for extenders of the retirement Visa as well so it says there we're going to find out soon enough

The content is a bit contradictory though if you read this;

“The new rules will be applied to those who enter the country for the first time and those who wish to extend their visas,” Sathit said.

According to an internal immigration memo dated Sept. 27 seen by the media, only foreign retirees holding non-immigration O-A visa will be affected.

• Like 1

Sitting at the pool in my complex a guy that had just returned from Immigration inquired about the Medical Insurance requirements. He was told by the staff at desk 8 that he not need this time but he WOULD have to provide the insurance when he extended next year. He said he questioned them and he said they simply told him yes need boss say need. Take it for what it's worth.  This just Mins ago now back to the pool This at the Jomtien Imm office

• Great Info 1

55 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Within that link it claims that the insurance will be required for extenders of the retirement Visa as well so it says there we're going to find out soon enough

Which would make sense.  I mean, what is the point of asking insurance when you apply the first time for retirement visa, and not when you renew it ? 

The thing I often hear "yeah, I know this law exist since years, but they never apply it" makes me smile.... People who reason like this will be in for a serious surprise one day.

It suffices for an government official having a new idea, an I.O. being in bad mood, or simply one who doesn't like your face or the color of your shirt.  And he will dig out one of those unapplied laws and say "yes, but look at this.... you have problem..." 

And BTW, this is not limited to LOS, it is the same in all of those "exotic" countries.  

Not a problem for me, here or any place I lived, I am like a gypsy.... I am just transiting.  

2 minutes ago, roobob said:

Are you pointing out that the writer of the article has got it wrong at this current time about who has to have insurance???

If so.... good pick up.

cheers

Not really, the article is a bit confusing.  But that is more what I wanted to highlight, the confusion and the thing being open to various interpretations. 

But hey, Inshallah......

• Like 1

Are you pointing out that the writer of the article has got it wrong at this current time about who has to have insurance???

If so.... good pick up.

cheers

I haven't because I'm not sure they do have it wrong. one of the gentleman down at the pool at my complex went down to do his retirement extension just returned and was telling a group of us that he was told next year the insurance was required for his retirement extension he asked. When he questioned the officer at desk 8 he said she simply told him boss says have to have. Now I don't know this guy he's not even a friend just a guy that had just came back that was at the pool but he told the whole group of us so take it for what it's worth

I'm not disagreeing with you I know what the rules say but it seems that down in Jomtien they think you have to have it and will be asking for it. I have posted this on Thai Visa as well will be interesting to see what happens after the 31st

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

To have you post a silly question .......

Yeah, sorry it's in English.

Pull your head in and stop acting like a child,

Clearly the person who wrote the article has it wrong and there was such a wealth of information lacking in your post it begged the question why yuo posted the link.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Pull your head in and stop acting like a child,

Clearly the person who wrote the article has it wrong and there was such a wealth of information lacking in your post it begged the question why yuo posted the link.

My answer is in two words....

I'll say this, it's fcking joke they're requiring a Thai form to certify you have adequate insurance. Every insurance company I've ever dealt with can easily supply a declaration of insurance coverage. Used it many times to prove to my mortgage lender I had adequate insurance for my house.

Went online to my health insurance company, IMG and lo and behold under My Documents I see I have an option of a Visa Letter.
Screen Shot 10-12-19 at 01.27 PM.JPG

Clicking on that I select the country I need it for an out pops this nice letter. BTW, I'm 62 and this policy cost me $1,623 for the year. Like I, and others have posted before, Thai policies are a ripoff for what they charge and how little coverage you get with their policies.
Screen Shot 10-12-19 at 01.30 PM.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Thats awesome the letter is there... saves on grief of having one issued.

But will the Thai IO accept it, and if they he/she does, will a different one say no the next year. Another sticking point I can see is the Thai IO looks at and says your insurance doesn't cover you for the full year of your extension to stay. In my case that would be until Nov 2020.

I don't need the grief or headaches, I'm using an agent to deal with this shit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

@forcebwithu,

I just had a look and did a simulation .

66y old, single, Indo resident .  

Global medical insurance Silver : 727 US$ / MONTH ! 

https://www.imglobal.com/img-insurance-plans

Shit, I should never have made those comments on Trump !  

Same will happen to me at 66, the premium will go through the roof. They do have something available if you've been with them before age 66, but they're short on details and I haven't bothered to follow up with them for more info. Got a couple of more years to worry about that and maybe by then there will be other options available for us "old ones".