So having an old a non-immigrant Visa will me and you need health insurance effective soon?

Yesitisdakid

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/retirees-and-medical-insurance-266933

"There is no convincing evidence that expats in Thailand are the major drain on Thai hospital finances. Indeed, there is much evidence that younger tourists are the main problem and most of them are uninsured. Out of 10 crowd-funded evacuations publicized in the last year, all but one were under 50 years and several in their 30s."

Amen.

Exactly the same as I was meaning.

• Like 1

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/retirees-and-medical-insurance-266933
"There is no convincing evidence that expats in Thailand are the major drain on Thai hospital finances. Indeed, there is much evidence that younger tourists are the main problem and most of them are uninsured. Out of 10 crowd-funded evacuations publicized in the last year, all but one were under 50 years and several in their 30s."
Amen.
Exactly the same as I was meaning.

I thought the issue was people racking up large Bill's and skipping out on them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Here we go, i got me boxing gloves on and gum shield in if thats any help lmao but somebodies gotta be right, where's the ref when ya need him ?

Just sayin like..... I'm shortly pissing off out you'll be pleased to here......

Dean Martin (499x442).jpg

is almost a secrets shitfest

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KWA said:

If I'm reading the same thread elsewhere as kicked off this one, it has been closed down with a mod commenting along the lines of the video and Line messages have been misinterpreted.

Yeah, people in panic mode, understandably. The Chiang Mai video was clearly about the OA visa if you watch it, but hardly anybody did, they just believed what the OP said. Actually, I wonder if even he bothered to watch it, lol.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

No it's a 247 shitfest and as both members have been members of other forums why would it be a Secrets shitfest....oh lordy lordy.....give me peace.

did not know credit for shitfest so important.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, Thai Spice said:

I am aware.of the original idea, but desperate people will do desperate things, you know that.  Hence all the "grey agencies" doing a great business.....

It's how our country works on virtually all matters similar to this one.  There are too many Americans for the government to try policing this, and there is nothing but downside cost and no upside benefit for the government to try policing it.

Our system is set up to accommodate the people who are doing the right thing, not to penalize those people because of the belief that somebody somewhere is doing something wrong.  That's true regardless of how justifiable that belief might be.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2019 at 7:41 PM, Sir_Fondles said:

It would be, if the embassy could verify the income presented is legitimate... they cannot though.

My point is that the hobos can't afford to get to the embassy and pay to submit the form.  They live on the beach and eat from dumpsters.

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2019 at 4:12 PM, farangme said:

Ray, you took a massive gamble my friend. You did daily jaunts from Jomtein to Pattaya on the back of a small motorbike, your lady driving. If you'd been in an accident you'd have been at the mercy of potentially Millions of Baht medical fees. You definitely need insurance.

Life is full of risk.  Buy insurance and you risk the insurance company refusing to cover you, or dumping you if you make too many claims. 

Lady Rompho is an exemplary driver, so which was the bigger risk?  Spending 10 minutes on a motorbike with her, or giving a Thai insurance company $thousands against their "promise" to pay my hospital bills? 

Farangs have no rights in Thailand, you and I have agreed about that many times, so I didn't fancy my chances trying to force a Thai insurance company to cover my bills. The fact that other farangs have been paid out doesn't change that calculus, because it's no guarantee of anything.  You take your chances every time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2019 at 4:02 AM, misteregg said:

I’m glad you didn’t need treatment like my friend, Kevin, who’s now in a nursing home on the Dark side after having a major stroke.

Actually, as I said, I did need treatment from time to time.  I had major orthopedic surgery there, and a few months before that I had a mysterious blood infection that had me in hospital for nearly a week.  Also had other minor treatments, including for illnesses and getting growths removed from my skin.  Paid for it all out of pocket, no need to give the money to an intermediary who might or might not give it back when I needed it.

I don't want to disparage your friend, but part of my calculus included having the money to cover fairly serious medical issues, and knowing I had family to fall back on in extreme conditions.  Also, I demonstrably knew when it was time to come home, which was when that same calculus determined that my financial situation would not support me staying there, including because I couldn't afford to pay for health care if I needed it.  

It's not that I wasn't insured.  I always had insurance.  I just didn't buy it from a company.  And, when I decided that I no longer had that self-insurance, I came back to the US.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from Jomtien Immigration where I've started my Marriage Visa  (Non"O" ) renewal. I used to have a Retirement Visa, but had to change it as I needed a Work Permit.

Yesterday I downloaded the TM.7 form from  https://immigrationbangkok.com › thailand-immigration-forms in Word format, completed it ( typed text into the boxes ) and printed two copies.

This morning, took the requisite photos of the Mrs and me outside and inside the house, then printed them out, 2 to a sheet of A4; then off to the bank. Deposited THB 100, updated the Bank Book, asked for a letter for Immigration + a printed Statement for the last 6 months.

Then off to Jomtien with a folder full of various paperwork ( copies of Yellow House Book, copies of Freedom to Marry, copies of Marriage Certificate etc etc. )

Arrived to find that there is no queue ( it must have been just before 10.00 ), so straight to the desk. Both officers gabbing on their 'phones. Stood in front of the senior one , who directed us to here junior partner, who in turns points to a seat. When she's finished on the phone, I present ( 2 sets ) of paperwork. She takes one look and passes them both back to my wife and says something. My wife disappears to the front of the office and comes back with 2 new TM.7's. I ask "What's up ?" and am told that the forms I have ( downloaded yesterday ) are last years and are no good ! Also, the forms have to be handwritten, not typed. So I fill them all out again.

The usual "you need more copies of this", "this copy no good, do again", "why you not use agent ?".

Nothing said about Health Insurance ( though I do have my Pacific Cross paperwork with me ).

They also took the copies of the Certificate of Freedom to Marry out of the paperwork piles and says "Not need any more ".

So, after about 90 minutes, we were on our way out, having been told that some time this week we are to expect a house visit  ( that's a first ), and need to make ourselves available.

I now have a Temporary Extension of Stay stamp in my Passport, valid until 25th December, at which point I need return to Jomtien to see if Bangkok have raised any objections to the renewal.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 5

10 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

Have just returned from Jomtien Immigration where I've started my Marriage Visa  (Non"O" ) renewal. I used to have a Retirement Visa, but had to change it as I needed a Work Permit.

Yesterday I downloaded the TM.7 form from  https://immigrationbangkok.com › thailand-immigration-forms in Word format, completed it ( typed text into the boxes ) and printed two copies.

This morning, took the requisite photos of the Mrs and me outside and inside the house, then printed them out, 2 to a sheet of A4; then off to the bank. Deposited THB 100, updated the Bank Book, asked for a letter for Immigration + a printed Statement for the last 6 months.

Then off to Jomtien with a folder full of various paperwork ( copies of Yellow House Book, copies of Freedom to Marry, copies of Marriage Certificate etc etc. )

Arrived to find that there is no queue ( it must have been just before 10.00 ), so straight to the desk. Both officers gabbing on their 'phones. Stood in front of the senior one , who directed us to here junior partner, who in turns points to a seat. When she's finished on the phone, I present ( 2 sets ) of paperwork. She takes one look and passes them both back to my wife and says something. My wife disappears to the front of the office and comes back with 2 new TM.7's. I ask "What's up ?" and am told that the forms I have ( downloaded yesterday ) are last years and are no good ! Also, the forms have to be handwritten, not typed. So I fill them all out again.

The usual "you need more copies of this", "this copy no good, do again", "why you not use agent ?".

Nothing said about Health Insurance ( though I do have my Pacific Cross paperwork with me ).

They also took the copies of the Certificate of Freedom to Marry out of the paperwork piles and says "Not need any more ".

So, after about 90 minutes, we were on our way out, having been told that some time this week we are to expect a house visit  ( that's a first ), and need to make ourselves available.

I now have a Temporary Extension of Stay stamp in my Passport, valid until 25th December, at which point I need return to Jomtien to see if Bangkok have raised any objections to the renewal.

Shakes ones head.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

This is the perfect example of why I pay 200 baht to the guy in the Visa shop just to the left of immigration to fill out all my forms for me put all the pictures in the right place put them all in the right order. Every time I tried to do it myself something wasn't right I was missing something so now every single time I have him do it and for a couple hundred baht I have never had to go get any other forms they know exactly what's needed and in exactly what order they should be in money well spent in my opinion

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

This is the perfect example of why I pay 200 baht to the guy in the Visa shop just to the left of immigration to fill out all my forms for me put all the pictures in the right place put them all in the right order. Every time I tried to do it myself something wasn't right I was missing something so now every single time I have him do it and for a couple hundred baht I have never had to go get any other forms they know exactly what's needed and in exactly what order they should be in money well spent in my opinion

I always do the same, even for a basic visa extention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Proffesor said:

Best of luck!

My last few visits I’ve not had insurance, mainly due to the fact I couldn’t get decently priced cover for my pre existing conditions, unless I gave them my firstborn child.
On the occasions I’ve visited hospitals there, I’ve found that copious amounts of cash stacked onto the desk at any hospital reception, works wonders. 🤗

Good info to know, 2 things here I just have to ask. I use my wifes friend here who is an agent for my retirement visa and have never heard her say or my wife say or ask me or show me  anything about "certificate of freedom to marry" documentation??  What is that or am I not paying attention? 

And what is that crap the officer asking you "why you not use agent"? Christ tell them to have a nice day and just do your job and not worry about how I present my documents to you. 

I vaguely remember having to fill out a “freedom to marry form” prior to our marriage 20 + years ago, but was never asked for it when extending for retirement. 
If I remember, it’s basically a self declaration of not being married. 
Someone will, no doubt, correct me.