• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Bazle

How old is "old"?

10 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I'm going to get a complex .... 🙂 

I forget I was probs mid 30’s when I started on Thai forums.....I’m now late 40’s so time and life has moved on, but you always think you are younger than you really are 🙈😁😁😁

Look at yourself in the mirror. If you didn't know you, how old would you guess you were? I just did and I think I am 50ish. :default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

Always considered somebody over 70 to be getting on, so a few years down the line before I consider myself old. 65years since I made an appearance on the planet.

1 hour ago, Steelers4Life said:

Look at yourself in the mirror. If you didn't know you, how old would you guess you were? I just did and I think I am 50ish. :default_biggrin:

Stones50.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I remember going to my 50 year class reunion. I couldn't believe how old most of my classmates looked. For all you old farts, YES, I can call you old farts because at 74 I'm older than most of you. I do admit that having a 25 year old brain in a 74 year old body sucks. Maybe the worst part is that I have outlived most of my old beer drinking buddies. I really miss those guys.

• Like 6

I'm 66,my mum is 90 in December & she is old.But still lives in the same house I was brought up in,still climbs the stairs,is still self reliant(with a little help from me) & still drives(albeit sometimes me nuts lol).

• Thumbs Up 3

I am 62, but act 22 sometimes LOL! Like a lot of you, when you do find out how old people are and see them, sometimes you kind of give yourself a pat on the back and say " Glad I stayed in shape and continue to work at it"  Yeah the High School re-unions can be kind of frightening. 4 years ago went to the 40th right? One guy was already in a wheelchair. Jesus! 

Some of the others were just plain un-reconizable. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Yessongs said:

.... sometimes you kind of give yourself a pat on the back and say " Glad I stayed in shape and continue to work at it" 

Sadly, not all of us! 😡😡

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Yessongs said:

I am 62, but act 22 sometimes LOL! Like a lot of you, when you do find out how old people are and see them, sometimes you kind of give yourself a pat on the back and say " Glad I stayed in shape and continue to work at it"  Yeah the High School re-unions can be kind of frightening. 4 years ago went to the 40th right? One guy was already in a wheelchair. Jesus! 

Jeez Mike, I thought you were at least 10 years younger...I was 62 last week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Yeah the High School re-unions can be kind of frightening.

I didn't go to my 40th High School reunion (or any) because all my friends from back then are either dead or in prison. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers4Life said:

I didn't go to my 40th High School reunion (or any) because all my friends from back then are either dead or in prison. 

Well you've done well to survive one hell of a tough school.........assuming your not posting from Jail? 😉

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Staying fit throughout one's life pays untold dividends in our twilight years. I'm also 62 and lost a good friend to old age 20 years ago. He's still alive, but he stopped the running and skiing we used to do together. Think the final nail in his old age persona was getting married. He really settled down into the home life after his marriage. Just proves that age is a state of mind, and he was ready to assume the role of an old man at an early age.

Side note: I remember in my 30's my old man chastising me after another weekend whitewater kayaking trip, asking me when I was going to grow up. My response was that if growing up meant spending weekends at home cleaning the garage and manicuring the lawn like he did then I would happily stick to what I was doing and hopefully never "grow up". My motto then, as now is I work to afford my time off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Staying fit throughout one's life pays untold dividends in our twilight years. I'm also 62 and lost a good friend to old age 20 years ago. He's still alive, but he stopped the running and skiing we used to do together. Think the final nail in his old age persona was getting married. He really settled down into the home life after his marriage. Just proves that age is a state of mind, and he was ready to assume the role of an old man at an early age.

In principal I agree with you but my shot knees, lower back ache and the state I am in immediately after getting out of bed in the mornings and lasting 15 minutes or so are all totally due to the 21 years I played football and the 5 years afterwards when I became addicted to running 4/5 nights a week. It was an addiction as well as you get a natural endorphin "high" from running. A feeling of euphoria as though you are floating across the ground. Except the ground was pavement and proper running shoes never came to mind.

Managers complain about their players having to play two games a week. In my last two years at School I often played three games a weekend. 

No wonder my body is Donald ducked.  🤣

But I do cycle most mornings.

"Staying alive - Staying alive

ah ah ah ah

Staying aaaalive"

(Bee Gees) :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Jambo said:

In principal I agree with you but my shot knees, lower back ache and the state I am in immediately after getting out of bed in the mornings and lasting 15 minutes or so are all totally due to the 21 years I played football and the 5 years afterwards when I became addicted to running 4/5 nights a week. It was an addiction as well as you get a natural endorphin "high" from running. A feeling of euphoria as though you are floating across the ground. Except the ground was pavement and proper running shoes never came to mind.

Managers complain about their players having to play two games a week. In my last two years at School I often played three games a weekend. 

No wonder my body is Donald ducked.  🤣

But I do cycle most mornings.

"Staying alive - Staying alive

ah ah ah ah

Staying aaaalive"

(Bee Gees) :default_biggrin:

Like most things, athletic activities ideally are done in moderation. But when you find something you enjoy, and are good at, it's only natural to push yourself to your limits and chase that natural high.

My shoulders are pretty well shot now from the years of competitive swimming. Butterfly was my speciality and I'm sad to say that while I can effortlessly swim laps using the front crawl, I can no longer rotate my shoulders w/o pain to even do one stroke of butterfly. But like you, I'm not wired to stand still so find other activities to keep moving and staying alive.

• Like 2

Think the bar keeps moving the older you get.

When I was in my 20's, I'd have considered my age now to be proper old.

Now I consider 70 to be proper old.

Apologies to anyone 70, and no doubt when and if I reach 70, I'll consider 80 to be proper old.

Think really it's all relative, when you notice it yourself. I can still do a good work out at the gym same as people half my age, but when I can't, then it'll probably hit me more. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Like most things, athletic activities ideally are done in moderation. But when you find something you enjoy, and are good at, it's only natural to push yourself to your limits and chase that natural high.

My shoulders are pretty well shot now from the years of competitive swimming. Butterfly was my speciality and I'm sad to say that while I can effortlessly swim laps using the front crawl, I can no longer rotate my shoulders w/o pain to even do one stroke of butterfly. But like you, I'm not wired to stand still so find other activities to keep moving and staying alive.

Well said for sure, guys at the gym are telling me you need to push yourself for strength gains! Why? I am 62 and bigger biceps are not going to make my life better. Good cardio and weight training are,  and essential overall health is what I am looking for. I am not going to give that up ever......as long as I can like you. I am not the sit around the house type and neither is my wife, so hope to have a lot of good years ahead. I too have friends here who got into that "married life style" not trying to be cliche, but in the cases I have seen, the other half could not walk a block with out complaining that they should have drove the car. Not good and not for me. 

• Like 2

iam flatout getting out of bed nowdays,played senior rugby league from 16 to 39 all up 350+ games .I trained every day,till I got seriously smashed up at 45 started to go down hill straight away.

now I have a laugh if old Mr Happy stands up,but need the lady to be a cowgirl,coz I will not last that long standard dancing all over the bed or what ever :default_good:.

now I hope I drop dead quickly I don't want to spend my last few years living in a nursing home.

but every now and then I have some vivid memories from past bangs in backseats,plus quiet a few knee tremblers behind pubs and some outstanding times in Asia.

O time,deal gently with me

I cannot see the colours of the wind

where green lands blossom unshadowed seas

their music bekons but I cannot find

the dark cathedral of the forest trees,

Holtby 1921

regards

grayray

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this