• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Sherlock

A few days in Bangkok......

Great photos, haven't been to the palace for a few years so better wear some nice trousers when I go. 

In the 33 years I have been going to Thailand I have never been to Khaosan road, maybe I should put that on my list when next in town.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Great photos, haven't been to the palace for a few years so better wear some nice trousers when I go. 

In the 33 years I have been going to Thailand I have never been to Khaosan road, maybe I should put that on my list when next in town.

Khaosan Rd has really cleaned up its imagine in the past 3-4 years, maybe for the good, who knows.

Palace now charge you for trousers, 200 baht a pair, or you can buy them out side the grounds for 100 baht.

Outstanding pics.....were you able to dodge the rain this time of year?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Khaosan Rd has really cleaned up its imagine in the past 3-4 years, maybe for the good, who knows.

Palace now charge you for trousers, 200 baht a pair, or you can buy them out side the grounds for 100 baht.

Thanks for the pics, I visited the Grand Palace a few years ago and they let me in wearing dress shorts! 

I have never knowingly been to Khaosan road either.

• Like 1

Just now, Yessongs said:

Outstanding pics.....were you able to dodge the rain this time of year?  

Thanks.

Yeah, landed in BKK last Monday and left again on the Thursday. Don't think I saw a single spot of rain at all in those 4 days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

Thanks for the pics, I visited the Grand Palace a few years ago and they let me in wearing dress shorts! 

I have never knowingly been to Khaosan road either.

I was wearing Cargo shorts that went below the knee, and still got collared by security to go and buy some trousers. Some girl who had her shoulders covered with a very large shoal so had to go and buy a new top, as the same girl wasn't going to let her in either!!

4 minutes ago, boydeste said:

I went in March , I also had smart shorts on , didn't even think about a dress code , but they said no ..... I didn't fancy wearing those bloody fisherman's trouser for a couple of hours , so went somewhere else 

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

I was wearing Cargo shorts that went below the knee, and still got collared by security to go and buy some trousers. Some girl who had her shoulders covered with a very large shoal so had to go and buy a new top, as the same girl wasn't going to let her in either!!

I got stopped by security with a baton across the chest, I was accompanied by a Thai girl and the senior officer her side spoke to her,  looked me up and down and let me pass. My shorts came below the knee and I was wearing a smart collared shirt. There were thousands of Chinese and my girl was one of very few Thai there, whether that made a difference I don't know but we were allowed in, well she went straight in and I had to go down a separate entrance.

Edited by boydeste

6 hours ago, Stillearly said:

I went in March , I also had smart shorts on , didn't even think about a dress code , but they said no ..... I didn't fancy wearing those bloody fisherman's trouser for a couple of hours , so went somewhere else 

Bingo, i'm not wearing long trousers walking around Bangers in the day time heat, how longs that rule been in force ? the times i've been there in the past i've always wore smart shorts like you. What with the 500bht charge for farangs nothing for Thais i know what they can do with it......   

Great to see those photos.  Although I fly into Bangkok it is a few years since I stayed there.

• Like 1

Excellent stuff again Sherlock. 

Went down khao San Rd in May and hated the place. Too busy and to loud. Rambuttri was way more pleasant for me. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, boydeste said:

I got stopped by security with a baton across the chest, I was accompanied by a Thai girl and the senior officer her side spoke to her,  looked me up and down and let me pass. My shorts came below the knee and I was wearing a smart collared shirt. There were thousands of Chinese and my girl was one of very few Thai there, whether that made a difference I don't know but we were allowed in, well she went straight in and I had to go down a separate entrance.

lol....

Reminds me of my last time in BKK, last trip. I was over near Victory Monument (wanted to check it out) then my plan was to continue on (walking) down  to another tourist site (can't remember which one) a couple miles from there. As I was walking I noticed a large gateway entrance to some kind of facility. So.... I thought it may be a back entrance to where I was going. Uh, no. As I walked through the threshold a half dozen military guys surrounded me and they did not look happy. One of them started to give me a ration of shit and I did the "so sorry" thing. He pointed for me to leave which I promptly did. As some of the other chuckled at the Farangs stupidity. 

Oh well, wrap up another LOS experience for the memory bank.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this