Renewing my Thai DL, a pleasant experience....

Pumpuynarak

Wifey and i had to renew our 10 year driving licences (only 5 years now) a few days ago. We turned up at the DL center at 12.40pm and were virtually immediatley attended to where they checked all our papers were in order, there were approx 20 Thais in our group i was the only farang. Once the papers were ok'd (no problem) we were shown into the room and sat and viewed the approx i hour video on how to drive properly lol. Once the vid had ended it was then on to the two tests one for an emergency stop and the other i don't quite know what is was for or achieved but it was two white posts contained in a box with a viewing aperture and you had to sit approx 10 feet away and using a control box you had to get the two posts aligned together.

Now that was where the problem started for me wifey flew the tests but getting these posts aligned was a real problem for me, i just could'nt see them moving, they looked static all the time despite me operating the control box buttons to move them. The adjudicator kept saying fail try again lol and low and behold an army officer and a pretty young lady who both spoke good English proceeded to help me by explaining what i was to do and how to achieve it, wifey was just laughing in the background, i passed but i still don't know how i did it.

What impressed me was the efficiency that we were dealt with and the patience shown by the adjudicator and the help provided by the two Thais, it restored my faith in officialdom and the general Thai public after all the ongoing issues surrounding visas/health insurance where i'm feeling somewhat un-necessarily beat up imo. 

In and out in 1& 3/4 hours job done.   

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

Have renewed my car licence twice now (1yr to 5yr and then 5yr to 5yr due to renew again next year) and both times the experience was pain free and efficient, infact when I first got my licence it was the same, I had no IDP to support my Aus licence so had to do the full theory and practical test but it was easy.

Am going to get my bike licence in December when our forced holidays happen, hopefully that goes smoothly as well.

Edited by Sir_Fondles
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

the other i don't quite know what is was for or achieved but it was two white posts contained in a box with a viewing aperture and you had to sit approx 10 feet away and using a control box you had to get the two posts aligned together.

Depth perception.

Depth perception is the ability to see things in three dimensions (including length, width and depth), and
to judge how far away an object is.

For accurate depth perception, you generally need to have binocular (two-eyed) vision. In a process
called convergence, our two eyes see an object from slightly different angles and our brain compares and
processes the two sets of information to form a single image. When both eyes see clearly and the brain
processes a single image effectively, it is called stereopsis.

People who rely on vision primarily in one eye (called monocular vision) may struggle with depth
perception. However, some people who have had good vision in one eye for a long period of time may
find they have acceptable depth perception. This is because their brain has adjusted in various ways to
make up for the limited visual input from one eye.

People with a one-eyed outlook may have trouble with this test.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

What impressed me was the efficiency that we were dealt with and the patience shown by the adjudicator and the help provided by the two Thais, it restored my faith in officialdom and the general Thai public after all the ongoing issues surrounding visas/health insurance where i'm feeling somewhat un-necessarily beat up imo

Nice thing you got it, but having people helping each other out for a D.L. test ? 

I know TIT, but yes it is a joke !  

My son passed his car D.L. in BKK 3 years ago, and told me a bit about it. 

Mind you, I passed my HGV license in one of our overseas territories when in the Navy, and gues on what vehicle ? Peugeot 404 pickup.....  Same.

But hey, important is to get the paper !

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Nice thing you got it, but having people helping each other out for a D.L. test ? 

I know TIT, but yes it is a joke !  

My son passed his car D.L. in BKK 3 years ago, and told me a bit about it. 

Mind you, I passed my HGV license in one of our overseas territories when in the Navy, and gues on what vehicle ? Peugeot 404 pickup.....  Same.

But hey, important is to get the paper !

I said to the the army officer when helping me i've only had an English DL for over 50 years, he gave me a big smile lol 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Depth perception.

Depth perception is the ability to see things in three dimensions (including length, width and depth), and
to judge how far away an object is.

For accurate depth perception, you generally need to have binocular (two-eyed) vision. In a process
called convergence, our two eyes see an object from slightly different angles and our brain compares and
processes the two sets of information to form a single image. When both eyes see clearly and the brain
processes a single image effectively, it is called stereopsis.

People who rely on vision primarily in one eye (called monocular vision) may struggle with depth
perception. However, some people who have had good vision in one eye for a long period of time may
find they have acceptable depth perception. This is because their brain has adjusted in various ways to
make up for the limited visual input from one eye.

People with a one-eyed outlook may have trouble with this test.

Thankyou now i know what i was doing and why lol i do have a dodgy left eye so that would probaly explain why i had problems.

The depth perception test is a bit amateurish  but serves a purpose.

I passed ok but noticed that when others were taking it the tester just turned her eyes from looking at the box and white posts and stared at the person at the controls. She only did this when the posts were in line so you really only needed to stop when the tester turned to look at you.

• Great Info 2
  • Haha 1

The wife went to renew her driving licence in BKK and I went with her. More fool me! 

The place was packed and whilst waiting we were shown what the test entailed on the tvs there. Archaic to say the least. The thought of those folks that passed the test then jumping into a 2 litre car or any car for that matter is just plain scary. 

• Like 3

Cliff, when I took " the test" a few years back it was rather entertaining. Getting the posts aligned was a challenge, but luckily made it through.

I only missed 1 question on the written test, the girl told me "U did well" 

Love Thailand.....................at times LOL! 

When I get back there, I think you and I need to get a few cars like Vin Diesel and throw it down up in the hood in Korat..just like "The Fast and The Furious" :default_fing23:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Yessongs said:

When I get back there, I think you and I need to get a few cars like Vin Diesel and throw it down up in the hood in Korat..just like "The Fast and The Furious" :default_fing23:

Would it be called "The Farce and The Fatuous"?

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 3

Well what can i say, apologies for my confusing posting on this and other threads. I had a real blast on friday night with a few mates i had'nt seen in ages, no sleep as they left in the morning, christ what a night, it was me ole mate roobob that put me on to it 🤣🤣🤣

There were in fact two other tests one for colour blindness and one for peripheral vision which i passed with flying colours lol

roll_eyes.gif.8511f5da07070def920bf00869366ecc.gif

• Haha 2

I find it amazing That you need to sit and watch a film on how to drive when you are renewing a 5 year driving licence.

You have been driving for 5 years !!!!.

I would understand if it showed things that have been introduced in the last 5 years ( roundabouts ) however it don't .

JDM

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

is the vid you have to watch still youtube clips of bad driving around the world ?

That was the last 10 minutes or so. Gruesome video clips. I'm well aware of the carnage on the road, but IMHO watching videos of it isn't going to change people's behavior. I made a point of looking away during the last 10 minutes, although nobody would notice as most of the 50 odd people in the room were glued to their phones the entire time there.

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

That was the last 10 minutes or so. Gruesome video clips. I'm well aware of the carnage on the road, but IMHO watching videos of it isn't going to change people's behavior. I made a point of looking away during the last 10 minutes, although nobody would notice as most of the 50 odd people in the room were glued to their phones the entire time there.

last time I sat through it I think I was the only one watching, everyone else was playing candycrush on their phones !!

1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

last time I sat through it I think I was the only one watching, everyone else was playing candycrush on their phones !!

Last time I sat through the video a Russian sheila kept on leaving the room or when inside playing on her phone. At the end of the video session they told her to come back the next day to watch the videos again. I burst out laughing when they told her that.

2 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Last time I sat through the video a Russian sheila kept on leaving the room or when inside playing on her phone. At the end of the video session they told her to come back the next day to watch the videos again. I burst out laughing when they told her that.

bwahahahahah.

Dumb bitch !!

2 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

is the vid you have to watch still youtube clips of bad driving around the world ?

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Not on the vid i saw.