Burger King Goes Vegan

Evil Penevil

It's' finally happened.  Burger King has rolled out a meatless, plant-based vegan hamburger in all 7,000 of it outlets in the U.S.

Impossible.jpg

IMPOSSIBLEA.JPG

McDonald's is experimenting with a meatless, plant-based burger in 28 restaurants in Ontario, Canada.

PBT.jpg

A number of U.S. food food chains and casual restaurants now offer plant-based burgers that are supposed to closely mimic a beef burger in terms of taste and texture.

Nutritionally, the plant-based burgers aren't any better or worse than the beef burgers.  The big attraction of the Impossible Whopper is that it is sustainable and environmentally friendly.

"The Impossible Burger really stands out with its carbon footprint. It uses 95 percent less land and 74 percent less water, while creating 87 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than a beef option."   Link

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

45 minutes ago, KWA said:

Macdonalds have been selling these for a couple of years in Finland and Sweden.

Yes, the "McVegan"  proved very popular in both Finland and Sweden.  However,  the vegan patty is made by a local Swedish company and isn't the same as the "Beyond Meat" patty used in the P.L.T. 

McVegan.jpg

The McVegan is fairly recent, but McDonald's has had vegetarian burgers in India, Sweden,  Israel  and some other countries for a number of years. They don't taste like beef burgers, though.

Two companies in the U.S., one called Impossible Foods, the other Beyond Meat, have developed meatless patties that are supposed to closely resemble the appearance, texture and taste of an ordinary beef patty.  It's widely believed that large numbers of hamburger eaters won't switch to a plant-based burger unless it tastes the same as a beef burger.  There's a big debate about this in the U.S.  Some commentators claim people who are truly concerned about the environment and saving rain forests and cows won't eat in Burger King or McD's in any case because both still sell millions of beef burgers.  Optimistic types believe it could be an important baby step towards more responsible food production and consumption.

Fad or real trend?  It's still too early to say.  But if McD's decides to add a plant-based burger to the menus in all 14,000 of its U.S. outlets (38,000 worldwise),  that would indeed be a major development.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

I read in a comment in reaction to this post on another board that Beyond Meat products have been available in Pattaya for about a month.  You can find Beyond Meat at Sizzler and the vegetarian-vegan restaurant Five-Star J at the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road, according to that poster.

sizzler.JPG

6 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

A and W have had beyond  meat burgers in Canada for a while now.

Not tried one,but all reports are glowing.

The A&W Beyond Meat Burger has apparently proved very popular and has been sold out a lot.

AW.JPG

15 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

This is the future.

Just like quadrophonic sound and 3D TV.

One day we'll laugh about this. :default_bad: 

Tried vegan burgers from the supermarket and they will never replace beef for most people.Veganism is just the l atest fad. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I read in a comment in reaction to this post on another board that Beyond Meat products have been available in Pattaya for about a month.  You can find Beyond Meat at Sizzler and the vegetarian-vegan restaurant Five-Star J at the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road, according to that poster.

sizzler.JPG

The A&W Beyond Meat Burger has apparently proved very popular and has been sold out a lot.

AW.JPG

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

sizzler.JPG

AW.JPG

Yes mate,it was a pretty big deal when it was launched.You can now buy beyond meat products in most grocery stores.

I won’t be having any of them in Pattaya,but I will be going back to The Kitchen on Second road in a few days.

Had a wonderful steak there earlier in the month.😁😁

I'm in the U.S. now and I have tried the Impossible Whopper.  I wasn't impressed. I don't think the plant-based burger tasted like a beef burger. Without the toppings, the Impossible Burger  didn't have any taste at all aside from the grill char marks.  The regular beef Whopper tasted like it always does- not great, but definitely an acceptable beef burger.

I had taken advantage of a Burger King special promotion called a Tasting Bundle.  You got an Impossible Whopper and a regular beef Whopper with cheese for $7.00, including free home delivery through DoorDash. That's a really low price for two burgers, not to mention free delivery.  It must be an attempt to win over new customers who normally wouldn't visit a BK outlet. The idea was to compare the burgers "side by side."

The burgers looked similar and both were heaped with lettuce, tomato and thick slices of raw onion, which I don't like at all.  The toppings were also slathered with mayonnaisse and ketchup.  Despite the similarities in appearance, I had no difficulty distinguishing between them even before I tasted them. The patty of the plant-based Whopper was a bit thinner and had a more even surface.  The char stripes were heavier as well.

I guess if you eat the Impossible Whopper with all the toppings and condiments, you might be able to convince yourself it's a regular Whopper. The "mouth feel" is approximately the same.  However, for me at least, Impossible Foods has a long way to go before it developes a plant-based patty with a convincing beef taste. 

Evil

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Foie gras may be a delicacy, but force feeding an animal to produce it is way past humane.

Its a tradition since generations. But yes, in France also some dogooders had at a moment launched a campaign against it.

Ever seen how chicken and eggs are produced ? More horrible.

And pigs ain't much better.

Those are problems on an industrial scale, the foie gras process is nothing compared to it.

• 1 month later...