Gulf War veteran, 55, was killed by a single punch from a bouncer in Thailand

Pumpuynarak

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7634531/Gulf-War-veteran-55-killed-one-punch-attack-outside-Thai-bar-security-guard.html

Gulf War veteran, 55, was killed by a single punch from a bouncer in Thailand who claimed he tried to leave go-go bar without paying his bill
Former Army officer Mike Jones-Mathias 55 was on work trip in Pattaya, Thailand
He went to the Mandarin Agogo bar with colleagues, was punched to the floor 
Security guard Phumphat Tanosingh was charged with grievous bodily harm
But he was acquitted in Thailand claiming self-defence and a bar bill dispute 

By JOEL ADAMS FOR MAILONLINE

31 October 2019

A Gulf War veteran was killed in a one-punch attack by a security guard in Thailand, an inquest heard.

Former Army officer Mike Jones-Mathias, 55, was on a work trip and had finished dinner with colleagues when he dropped into a bar in Pattaya on his way back to his hotel on May 17, 2018.

But he dialled emergency number 911 in the early hours of the morning - just five minutes before CCTV captured him being punched to the floor.

Security guard Phumphat Tanosingh was charged with grievous bodily harm for the punch and faced a trial in Thailand.

But he was found not guilty after claiming self-defence - claiming Mike had attempted to leave the Mandarin Agogo bar without paying his bill.

20419248-7634531-image-a-2_1572519777576

Wife Veronica, 50, said: 'For the record, I know my husband would never have left a bar without paying a bill.

'What could have happened in that establishment that could make that punch lawful?'

She questioned why her husband would have called for emergency assistance while in the bar.

CCTV footage played in the inquest showed Mike walking backward in the main street outside.

He throws a punch to the air as he is approached by two Thai men - and is then hit to the floor with one horror punch.

20419278-7634531-image-a-1_1572519764675
The Mandarin Agogo in Pattaya, Thailand. Mr Jones-Mathias had dropped in on his own after dinner with colleagues

20419272-7634531-image-a-6_1572519915583
The punch was delivered on the street outside the bar, pictured, five minutes after he had dialled 911

The inquest in Pontypridd, South Wales, heard Mike was at the start of a three-month work trip as a senior operations project manager.

He had gone for an evening meal with his senior management team but later decided to stop at a bar alone on May 17 last year.

Veronica said: 'At no point in the court transcript does it mention the video shown. Why was the video not shown in evidence?

'The judgment was handed down without them knowing that Mike was dead. Had they known I wonder whether or not the conclusion would have been different.'

She added her husband put up a 'monumental fight' while recovering from his brain injury.

The inquest heard Mike underwent surgery in Thailand for damage to his right frontal lobe and was finally flown to Cardiff six weeks later. But he died on March 24 this year after his health deteriorated.

20419256-7634531-image-a-7_1572520127044
His wife Veronica, 50, pictured above with Mike, said: 'What could have happened in that establishment that could make that punch lawful?'

Professor Phillip Smith, of University Hospital of Wales, gave a cause of death as pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia and traumatic brain injury.

Mike, of Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan, graduated as an officer in the Army in 1984 and served in the first Gulf War.

He later worked as an operations manager for heavy lift and installation engineering projects in the Middle East.

The inquest heard Mike and wife Veronica had opened a cafe in Cardiff when they returned to the UK in 2015.

Acting senior coroner Graeme Hughes rejected the family's request for a conclusion of unlawful killing.

He said: 'Yes, it was on the evidence deliberate but was it unlawful?

'I haven't heard any evidence from the assailant. If he was here in the UK then he would be called as a witness and he could be questioned.

'He has not had the opportunity to come before me and make representations to me.

'I have to bear in mind that there was a trial of some sorts in Thailand and as a consequence, he was acquitted.

'I am not satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that it would be safe for me to reach unlawful killing.'

Recording a narrative conclusion, he said: 'The deceased died as a consequence of complications arising from head injuries sustained following a punch to the head

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t look like a haymaker to me, I think the fall did him in. 

Whatever, the wife wanting justice is dreaming, in a country where drug traffickers do more time than murderers. Unfortunately this kind of thing will keep happening a few times a year, you mix boozed up tourists and doormen who don’t really like foreigners, a little misunderstanding over payment, and boom, a man is dead. Just happy it never happened to me, when I started coming over I really overdid it and misbehaved many a night

Edited by Golfingboy

I can't find any mention in the Thai or farang media or on the Thai boards (including Thai Visa) of the "one punch" fight in May 2018 or Jones-Mathias' death in March 2019.  There was a funeral announcement on a U.K. site on April 2, 2019,  but it didn't mention the cause of death.  I may just have missed the articles, particularly ones in Thai,  but I can't see this story was reported at all before the coroner's inquest in Wales.

If Jones-Mathias didn't show immediate signs of a serious injury after the knockdown outside Mandarin, the incident may simply have gone under the radar.

It's tragic to think a man lost his life over a dispute about an unpaid bill in a go go bar.  RIP.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 1

Speaking of which.

What ever happened to Jose Manuel Polanco who kicked Benjamin Robb to death in the Ruby Club, Soi 6, in February 2018.

Just another of Pattaya's little misadventures.

Edited by fygjam

I can't find any mention in the Thai or farang media or on the Thai boards (including Thai Visa) of the "one punch" fight in May 2018 or Jones-Mathias' death in March 2019.  There was a funeral announcement on a U.K. site on April 2, 2019,  but it didn't mention the cause of death.  I may just have missed the articles, particularly ones in Thai,  but I can't see this story was reported at all before the coroner's inquest in Wales.

If Jones-Mathias didn't show immediate signs of a serious injury after the knockdown outside Mandarin, the incident may simply have gone under the radar.

It's tragic to think a man lost his life over a dispute about an unpaid bill in a go go bar.  RIP.

Evil

I don’t remember it happening either and I know one of the owners of the Mandarin bar, now sold.

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Unfortunately this kind of thing will keep happening a few times a year, you mix boozed up tourists and doormen who don’t really like foreigners, a little misunderstanding over payment, and boom, a man is dead.

Yep, a lesson to learn guys, by all means query the checkbin but at the end of the day if ya can't get any satisfaction just pay it and never go back, it just ain't worth it for a few baht.  

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nothing new here, they love to beat the farang. Seen it on numerous occasions.

His Wife's better looking than these pigs on the podium. Just shows what Thai beer can do. I would know.😉 

Edited by farangme
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sad thing but the headline does not make sense.

The incident occurred in Thailand in May 18 in Thailand …. but he passed away in March 19 in his home country. 

If he was killed by a single punch by a bouncer in Thailand in May 18... would that not mean he was killed instantly by the punch then.?? Seems a bit of journalistic leeway was taken with the headline.

Anyway.... terrible thing to have happened...… may he RIP.

• Like 1

Some of these bars allow people to get so drunk that they forget. They can be incoherent when approached. Walking off doesn't mean you are ripping them off, just sometimes people don't realize it. Punching them out is lame, illegal and simply wrong.

Any actions like this should automatically suspend the license of the place for extensive review.

Personally.... any action of this sort to myself (if I am still alive) or a close friend would result in serious reprisal to the offender, with a long term commitment to follow through. Absolute, and without any doubt.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Some of these bars allow people to get so drunk that they forget. They can be incoherent when approached. Walking off doesn't mean you are ripping them off, just sometimes people don't realize it.

Bingo, i've attempted to walk out of bars before without paying my checkbin, its easily done when the worse for drink. The bars have to shoulder some responsibility for these type of events after all they continue to serve alcohol to customers when clearly they should'nt, the UK introduced laws to try and prevent but TIT where its all about the money and nothing else.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Old saying... if you can't handle it...don't drink it.

Same as ..if you buy the drink ...then the onus in you to pay for the drink...… no one else ..but you.

Saying you are too drunk or blaming the bar that you got too drunk for not paying is nothing but a cop out. You are the one ordering and drinking it.... so the responsibility for payment is yours... .. not the bars.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, roobob said:

Old saying... if you can't handle it...don't drink it.

Same as ..if you buy the drink ...then the onus in you to pay for the drink...… no one else ..but you.

Saying you are too drunk or blaming the bar that you got too drunk for not paying is nothing but a cop out. You are the one ordering and drinking it.... so the responsibility for payment is yours... .. not the bars.

cheers

You are of course correct.

I am sure his widow, family and friends would find comfort in your compassionate words.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jambo said:

You are of course correct.

I am sure his widow, family and friends would find comfort in your compassionate words.

Please read my previous post about the incident and my sorrow for the fellow involved.

My last post was in reply to the two comments posted above it.

cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Some of these bars allow people to get so drunk that they forget. They can be incoherent when approached. Walking off doesn't mean you are ripping them off, just sometimes people don't realize it. Punching them out is lame, illegal and simply wrong.

I agree as bouncers in most countries don't beat the shit out you or kill you for not paying your bar tab.  The bars and pubs in my area contact the police and let them sort it out with the intoxicated person and the bill, disorderly conduct, etc. But more often than not, they are cut off before it reaches point as establishment could be held accountable for continuing to serve a drunk. But it's a fine line as to who's at fault. But again, as Pump mentioned TIT and they DO NOT give 2 shits about a beat down on patron over a bar tab. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

, as Pump mentioned TIT and they DO NOT give 2 shits about a beat down on patron over a bar tab. 

Correct. Problem is some people think this is all paradise with oooh sooo lovely people like they read on the brochures.

It is NOT. Specially not in Pattaya. 

It has happened to me to walk out once or twice, it is all about how YOU react when the waitress or bouncers calls you....  Deconflict the situation ! 

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Thumbs Up 2