Pattaya faces water shortages

Bazle

http://pattayanewsflash.com/announcements/november_2019.html

The Provincial Waterworks Authority's ( PWA) branch in Pattaya warns that the city is likely to experience water shortages next year as levels in five major reservoirs in Chon Buri have dropped sharply to only around 32% of capacity.

Mr. Suthat Nutpan, the Office Manager, says that at present, there is less than 13 million cubic metres of water in the five reservoirs, compared with 36.7 million cu/m last year.
  • Great Info 3

I remember driving past mabprachan one day and there were pick up trucks parked in the lake on dry land the water level was down so much.

That was 2 or 3 years ago but this rainy season has largely been a non-event and that is it for another year.

Okay, we had one major flooding on one day but October is the main rainy month for us and apart for  a number of downpours for a week or so it has been nothing like normal years.  

Edited by Jambo

23 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I remember driving past mabprachan one day and there were pick up trucks parked in the lake on dry land the water level was down so much.

That was 2 or 3 years ago but this rainy season has largely been a non-event and that is it for another year.

Okay, we had one major flooding on one day but October is the main rainy month for us and apart for  a number of downpours for a week or so it has been nothing like normal years.  

yes, is going to be dificult year for water. worst drought in 10 years in esan. almost every reservoir less than 1/3 full as dry season gets start. normal this time is more than 75%. mekhong @ nongkai is record low and new dams make things worse.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, misteregg said:

This was a big thing 20 years ago when I first came. Water always going off.

It is a good job that most of the unending stream of new condo complexes in and around Pattaya remain unoccupied.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Jambo said:

If you are not careful the powers that be will use the lack of flooding as proof that all the money they have spent is working. .... ....  Well til the next true wet season.

Pattaya has many different sources of water. In my part of South Pattaya the water supply is piped up from Sattahip.

And don't forget they still have the enormous pipeline they built back in - when was it? - 2005 or so, from the Bang Pakong river. The pipeline's still there, though I suspect they won't have maintained any of the pumping equipment.

6 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Pattaya has many different sources of water. In my part of South Pattaya the water supply is piped up from Sattahip.

And don't forget they still have the enormous pipeline they built back in - when was it? - 2005 or so, from the Bang Pakong river. The pipeline's still there, though I suspect they won't have maintained any of the pumping equipment.

Yep....

That was my first thought. I'm sure it's working perfectly.   ☺️

• 1 month later...

The drop in level of Lake Mabprachan in the last month should be of great concern to the PWA.
I was told that it is now possible for a non swimmer to cross from one side to the other. If anyone wants to take pictures of storks and heron now is a good time to come out as there are many of them catching fish in the now shallows.

8 hours ago, karon steve said:

The drop in level of Lake Mabprachan in the last month should be of great concern to the PWA.
I was told that it is now possible for a non swimmer to cross from one side to the other. If anyone wants to take pictures of storks and heron now is a good time to come out as there are many of them catching fish in the now shallows.

This topic has a few pics of the water level from one month ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/facing-drought-people-urged-to-conserve-water-281217

Facing drought, people urged to conserve water
By Jetsada Homklin -December 21, 2019

The Provincial Waterworks Authority urged Pattaya residents to conserve water amid the threat of shortages next year.

PWA Pattaya Manager Sutat Nutchpan said Dec. 19 that water volumes in the Mabprachan and Huay Chak Nok reservoirs have decreased steadily, forcing the utility to slow tap-water production.

In October, the PWA said Pattaya could face its greatest water shortage in more than five years due to low levels in Chonburi reservoirs feeding the city.

Sutat said residents should reuse water where possible, such as using laundry and dish-washing water to water plants or even for daily showers. He said water meters should also be checked and trees – natural sources of water retention – should be preserved.

no shit sherlock.  this has been the hidden story for months.  the feeders to the lakes here are dry too.  

rationing within a month or so,  water on alternate days.  checks on people with pumps on the supply side of their tanks and bowsers making a fortune.  by april/may we will will be sooo deep in the shit .  i honestly see 2020 as the worst water shortage the city has ever seen.  and no where to get more from.  

as to using kitchen and shower and machine water for the garden.  I am installing tanks to take it and will be doing exactly that.   easy to do, and wortyh the effort.

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

no shit sherlock.  this has been the hidden story for months.  the feeders to the lakes here are dry too.  

rationing within a month or so,  water on alternate days.  checks on people with pumps on the supply side of their tanks and bowsers making a fortune.  by april/may we will will be sooo deep in the shit .  i honestly see 2020 as the worst water shortage the city has ever seen.  and no where to get more from.  

as to using kitchen and shower and machine water for the garden.  I am installing tanks to take it and will be doing exactly that.   easy to do, and wortyh the effort.

I'd like to do the same, so I'm curious where you'll place the tanks to collect the grey water? If above ground, will you be using some type of pump assist to get the water into the tanks?

And for the readers of 247 it's not been a hidden story. 😉

Edited to add: I'm now thinking a grey water collection system would probably not be worth the cost as the amount of water collected wouldn't be much compared to a rainwater collection system. Collecting rainwater would also be a much simpler system to install.

Edited by forcebwithu

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Edited to add: I'm now thinking a grey water collection system would probably not be worth the cost as the amount of water collected wouldn't be much compared to a rainwater collection system. Collecting rainwater would also be a much simpler system to install.

555.. i want what you are on.  we are talking about no rain, hence the problem, and you will collect rain water :)

i just ordered the water tanks for the houses, as individual reservoirs.  they all have booster pumps anyway so the cost for a 1K litre tank is 3K baht.  plus stopcock.  we take our water from a bore hole, so will simply open up from the main tanks daily to refill each hosue tank and allow the bore hole to rest  more

to the waste water.  you either bury the tank or, if you have a house, can re route the upsrairs downpipes.  I am lookin into it right now.

plan is 1K litre tank again ( same as the others)  and a small tank, maybe 20L.  the 20 l would be easy to put below path level and take the shower water, kitchen etc.  it would have a float switch in it, 300 baht, and a small pump to the bigger tank.  not got much fuirther than that so far

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

555.. i want what you are on.  we are talking about no rain, hence the problem, and you will collect rain water 🙂

i just ordered the water tanks for the houses, as individual reservoirs.  they all have booster pumps anyway so the cost for a 1K litre tank is 3K baht.  plus stopcock.  we take our water from a bore hole, so will simply open up from the main tanks daily to refill each hosue tank and allow the bore hole to rest  more

to the waste water.  you either bury the tank or, if you have a house, can re route the upsrairs downpipes.  I am lookin into it right now.

plan is 1K litre tank again ( same as the others)  and a small tank, maybe 20L.  the 20 l would be easy to put below path level and take the shower water, kitchen etc.  it would have a float switch in it, 300 baht, and a small pump to the bigger tank.  not got much fuirther than that so far

LOL, yeah at first glance it does seem odd to be talking about collecting rain during a draught. But I think the problem is the occasional rain we get isn't enough to replenish the reservoirs, but I'm hoping should be enough to handle watering the garden every couple of days.

I estimate we use about 100L each time we water the garden every two days. So a 1k tank should carry us through a 20 day dry spell. Not sure how often we go 20 days without any kind of rain, but I'll be gambling with an investment in the tank that it's not too often. The other unknown is if a local downpour will be enough to top off the tank. Fortunately my house already has rain gutters, so what hits the roof won't go to waste.

I'm also fortunate my house is set up well to weather city water supply outages with two, 1k and 2k tanks.

Where did you purchase the 1k tank from?

My water in Bangsaray is mains water from Sattahip. We had quite heavy rain overnight two out of the last three nights so first time no need to water the garden for several weeks.

Pressure drops from time to time but then just turn on the pump. Also have a big tank in the garden linked to the pump but rarely had to use it.

Apart from one bill when I forgot I had left a hose running overnight and flooded the back garden my  bill is less than 200 baht a month. The last paid bill was 160 baht.