Pattaya faces water shortages

Bazle

44 minutes ago, Jambo said:

My water in Bangsaray is mains water from Sattahip. We had quite heavy rain overnight two out of the last three nights so first time no need to water the garden for several weeks.

Pressure drops from time to time but then just turn on the pump. Also have a big tank in the garden linked to the pump but rarely had to use it.

Apart from one bill when I forgot I had left a hose running overnight and flooded the back garden my  bill is less than 200 baht a month. The last paid bill was 160 baht.

My usual bill is just under 200 too. My highest bill, there's a story behind that one.

The city supply feeds an underground tank and then a pump feeds an underground line to my 1000L, above ground tank. Unseen by me the underground line developed a small leak. I only caught the problem when I noticed the car park pavement was looking a bit damp in one spot. Lifted the cover to the underground tank and saw a lake of water around the outside of the tank. My water bill arrived a short time later and I about shit my pants when I saw it was 7,700B. The water must have been leaking out for close a month to get the bill that high.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worst drought in four decades looms

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1829304/keeping-taps-from-running-dry

Thailand has been battling seasonal drought for decades, but this year, the Office of National Water Resources (ONWR) is worried the water shortage may get out of hand because of the potential for conflicts in drought-stricken areas.
>
>
>
Bangkok is also expected to launch a number of short-term measures to deal with the water shortage, including the deployment of extra tanks to drought-hit areas and the drilling of wells for groundwater extraction.

Despite these measures, this year's drought is expected to be much more severe according to the Thai Meteorological Department's (TMD), this year's drought will be the worst in four decades.

According to Mr Somkiat, this year's drought is caused by the same weather pattern that caused less-than-average precipitation to fall across Thailand last year.

Last year's storms brought heavy rainfall to some areas, but it wasn't enough to replenish the four major dams which supply millions of people along the Chao Phraya river basin with water, he said.

Precipitation dropped by about 30-40% and as a result, there are only enough water in Tak's Bhumibol dam, Uttaradit's Sirikit dam, Phitsanulok's Kwai Noi Bamrung Dan dam and Lop Buri's Pasak Jolasid dam to supply water for household consumption only.

The Central region will be hardest hit this year, especially the 22 provinces along the Chao Phraya river basin.

At least Bangkok recognizes there is an immediate drought problem. Same cannot be said for the governor of Chonburi.

Chonburi Governor reassures residents that Pattaya and Chonburi has enough water to last to the rainy season

The only way Chonburi is going to make it to the next rainy season is if they start water rationing now. My estimate is our main supply, Mabprachan Reservoir, is dropping 1/2 meter every two weeks.

Pic of the pumping station for the reservoir taken on 26 December.
49276664953_67fcde11a7_b.jpg

In another week I'll update the following topic to see if my estimate of 1/2 meter every two weeks holds true.

• Great Info 1

On 12/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, tommy dee said:

no shit sherlock.  this has been the hidden story for months.  the feeders to the lakes here are dry too.  

rationing within a month or so,  water on alternate days.  checks on people with pumps on the supply side of their tanks and bowsers making a fortune.  by april/may we will will be sooo deep in the shit .  i honestly see 2020 as the worst water shortage the city has ever seen.  and no where to get more from.  

as to using kitchen and shower and machine water for the garden.  I am installing tanks to take it and will be doing exactly that.   easy to do, and wortyh the effort.

When I was serving in Cyprus I visited a guys house and he had all three plumbed in to water his garden.

He told me best to use bio friendly soap.

JDM