Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KWA

Ear ache/infection

Recommended Posts

Both a mate and I have recently developed acute ear pain but don't know if it's down to blockages, an infection or what.  Any suggestions as to what to ask for at the pharmacy to try and shift it?

I'm due to be flying in a couple of days and him maybe the end of the week so keen to address it quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More likely an infection... Antibiotics for you and your friend I think. 

I had blocked ears earlier this year and suffered no pain whatsoever... Just difficult to hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres an antibiotic ear drop that you can get in pharmacies that will clear it up if it is an infection. Even better, last time I had one in the UK my gp gave me an ear spray, which was much more effective than the drops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are flying soon.... I would go get it checked at the hospital to see what is the actual problem.

cheers 

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get some ear drops before you go home.

Two years ago I was back in the UK for a month and developed the same thing, a mild ache in one ear. I knew from past experience in Thailand that I needed some antiseptic or antibiotic ear drops, two or three days on those and it would be fixed. So I went to my local chemist's shop and asked for ear drops. The staff looked at me as if I'd sprouted a second head, and said they couldn't sell me anything like that. I told them this was stupid, it's just a minor infection or irritation, some simple ear drops will soon fix it. No way, the chemist came over and practically donned a black cap, we're not allowed to give you anything for ear problems, they might be very serious, you must go and see your GP and get it checked out. This was around 4:30 on a Friday afternoon and the next Monday was a Bank Holiday, so I explained that it would be at least four or five days before I could see a doctor, all I want is some ear drops. Not a chance, sonny Jim!

Ten minutes later I was in another shop and noticed a pack of antiseptic wipes for sale, so I bought those. I wiped out the ear, getting as far in as I could and squeezing some of the liquid into my ear, Repeat three times a day and hey presto, two days later the problem was gone.

No wonder the sodding NHS is going broke when they're so stupidly nannyish that they won't even let you buy ear drops. And how is waiti8ng almost a week to see a GP going to help an acute condition? I might just as well have gone to A&E and queued for four or five hours, and it's no wonder they're so stuffed to the gills either. Let people stand on their own two feet if they want to, FFS, we don't all want to walk around with the NHS sticking its thumb up our asshole all day long.

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Get some ear drops before you go home.

Two years ago I was back in the UK for a month and developed the same thing, a mild ache in one ear. I knew from past experience in Thailand that I needed some antiseptic or antibiotic ear drops, two or three days on those and it would be fixed. So I went to my local chemist's shop and asked for ear drops. The staff looked at me as if I'd sprouted a second head, and said they couldn't sell me anything like that. I told them this was stupid, it's just a minor infection or irritation, some simple ear drops will soon fix it. No way, the chemist came over and practically donned a black cap, we're not allowed to give you anything for ear problems, they might be very serious, you must go and see your GP and get it checked out. This was around 4:30 on a Friday afternoon and the next Monday was a Bank Holiday, so I explained that it would be at least four or five days before I could see a doctor, all I want is some ear drops. Not a chance, sonny Jim!

Ten minutes later I was in another shop and noticed a pack of antiseptic wipes for sale, so I bought those. I wiped out the ear, getting as far in as I could and squeezing some of the liquid into my ear, Repeat three times a day and hey presto, two days later the problem was gone.

No wonder the sodding NHS is going broke when they're so stupidly nannyish that they won't even let you buy ear drops. And how is waiti8ng almost a week to see a GP going to help an acute condition? I might just as well have gone to A&E and queued for four or five hours, and it's no wonder they're so stuffed to the gills either. Let people stand on their own two feet if they want to, FFS, we don't all want to walk around with the NHS sticking its thumb up our asshole all day long.

I think the point in your post about POM (Prescription only Medicines) is a very valid one.  I had a similar issue a few years back when I wanted an antibiotic ointment for mosquito bites.  The bites were sustained in Thailand just before I left the country.  The pharmacist said that it was only available with a doctor's prescription.  My GP did issue a prescription, after I wrote a letter to him with a photographs of the ointment, however it produced a delay of a little under 48 hours.

The number of medicines covered under POM regime is falling, however in all honesty with all the current publicity about antibiotic resistance, I can not see antibiotics being sold over the counter anytime in the short term future.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother gave me this cure years ago and works very quickly in my case overnight. put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the infected ear you will feel and hear it attacking the infection repeat again then dry it out with a q tip. Then put a large Q tip full of Neosporin  into the ear as far down as you can . I have passed this on to many others and all had success. in my case no more pain in 24 hours or less everytime

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pharmacy sold me antibiotic eye drops few weeks ago. She said same same 

Cleared up my ear infection in 48 hours and I had tried everything else including antibiotics etc.....

called Poly-Oph or Dex-Oph magic stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 10:51 PM, KWA said:

developed acute ear pain but don't know if it's down to blockages, an infection or what. 

Don't bother with the pharmacies or hospitals. Go see the doctors (Thai husband and wife) at the clinic on Buakaow near the Chaba Hut  and get an antibiotic shot in the ass along with drops. I have had 2 ear infections that were excruciating over the last 10 years in Patts and they sorted me out both times. Back to to normal in less than 48 hours. They both actually operate 2 clinics -the other one is on Pattaya Tai across from Tuk Com. They actually ride their motorbikes back and forth and treat patients at both locations. If you have acute ear pain, drops and pills might not do the trick or sort you out in the time frame you mentioned. Everyone I have told to go to these clinics for this and other ailments have never been disappointed. A hospital (especially Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) will overcharge you for less than you will get from these doctors for ear infections. 

Larry's remedy does sound very interesting though and I will keep that in mind if there is a next time. 

Edited by Steelers4Life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advice.

The day I posted I went to a local pharmacy and was given the Dex Oph drops mentioned and Roxithromycin antibiotics.  I was also taking Tiffy tablets which are a combination of paracetamol and a decongestant.  Within 48 hours I could feel some relief (maybe 30%) and flew home OK.  It's still not perfect but I'll give it another wee while before going to see my own doc if it's still problematic.

I've noted down the hydrogen peroxide recommendation, but I think that stuff was also mentioned in the grout cleaning thread recently so not sure about putting it in my  ears. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, KWA said:

I've noted down the hydrogen peroxide recommendation, but I think that stuff was also mentioned in the grout cleaning thread recently so not sure about putting it in my  ears. 😉

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is an oxygenating bleach. It breaks down into water (H2O) and oxygen.

Like chlorine bleach it's antimicrobial. Why do you think they put chlorine into the water supply (in some countries).

As well as its antimicrobial properties, hydrogen peroxide is often recommended to help loosen ear wax. The bubbling action releases the wax.

Hydrogen peroxide comes in different strengths, diluted with water. For medical purposes usually 3%. To become a peroxide blonde about 9%.

Higher strengths are used in professional teeth whitening.

Even higher strengths have uses which don't concern us here. You can google TATP at your leisure.

 

 

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Pharmacy sold me antibiotic eye drops few weeks ago. She said same same 

Cleared up my ear infection in 48 hours and I had tried everything else including antibiotics etc.....

called Poly-Oph or Dex-Oph magic stuff. 

Be careful. I get eye infections only when I travel to Thailand so last time used Optrex cleanser drops as put it down to irritation with the air con.

The stuff you were given, described below. Basically a steroid.

This medication treats/prevents only bacterial eye infections. It will not work for other types of eye infections and may worsen them (e.g., infections caused by viruses, fungi, mycobacteria).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, john1000 said:

Be careful. I get eye infections only when I travel to Thailand so last time used Optrex cleanser drops as put it down to irritation with the air con.

The stuff you were given, described below. Basically a steroid.

This medication treats/prevents only bacterial eye infections. It will not work for other types of eye infections and may worsen them (e.g., infections caused by viruses, fungi, mycobacteria).

Know but for some reason it worked magic on my ears. Like you I have had two eye infections over the years in Thailand and the only thing that healed them was time.

Asked my brother who was a consultant and he said it can also kill bacteria in the ear canal so ...... honestly had the ear infection and itching mainly for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KWA said:

Whoosh!

3% hydrogen peroxide obtainable from pharmacies or OTC is safe to put in your ears.

30% hydrogen peroxide obtainable online for teeth whitening is NOT safe to put in your ears.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 2:06 AM, nampla69 said:

Pharmacy sold me antibiotic eye drops few weeks ago. She said same same 

Cleared up my ear infection in 48 hours and I had tried everything else including antibiotics etc.....

called Poly-Oph or Dex-Oph magic stuff. 

 

10 hours ago, john1000 said:

The stuff you were given, described below. Basically a steroid.

This medication treats/prevents only bacterial eye infections. It will not work for other types of eye infections and may worsen them (e.g., infections caused by viruses, fungi, mycobacteria).

Poly-Oph contains

  • Neomycin - an antibiotic.
  • Polymyxin B - an antibiotic.
  • Gramicidin - an antibiotic.

Dex-Oph contains

  • Neomycin - an antibiotic.
  • Dexamethasone - a steroid.

Steroids work by suppressing the immune response to an infection which reduces the inflammation which reduces the pain or itch. They do nothing to control the infecting agent, the associated antibiotic is meant to do that which works ok if the infecting agent is bacterial.

As pointed out, using a steroid can make an infection worse if there is nothing else to control the infection.

 

  • Great Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KWA said:

Thanks for all the advice.

The day I posted I went to a local pharmacy and was given the Dex Oph drops mentioned and Roxithromycin antibiotics.  I was also taking Tiffy tablets which are a combination of paracetamol and a decongestant.  Within 48 hours I could feel some relief (maybe 30%) and flew home OK.  It's still not perfect but I'll give it another wee while before going to see my own doc if it's still problematic.

I've noted down the hydrogen peroxide recommendation, but I think that stuff was also mentioned in the grout cleaning thread recently so not sure about putting it in my  ears. 😉

Understand your concern but it worked and fast too for me and some of the others I have told to try it. Hope you are feeling better soon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im afraid there is a manifest ,shall we say,incomprehension here, as ignorance would be too close to the truth.This really does need clearing up lest people do themselves and their ear function permanent harm.I hate to comment on this stuff,I truly hate doing so  but there is a grave risk of people doing themselves and other BMs harm by the  uneducated  nonsense that is ejaculated without consideration ... hence this post  

There are,in essence 3 types of ear infections

(1) Outer ear ..common ...particularly in tropical climes ..otitis externa, ,an infection of the skin and sometimes deeper,even eroding into the bone at the base of the brain,particularly in  Diabetics (= meningitis and potentially death)   ,,,painful , sometimes swollen blocked ear,sometimes tinnitus,Ear discharge(blood and pus ) and itch(sometimes at the start) .Swimming,eczema,psoriasis,dermatitis are common but not universal precipitants   

(2) Middle ear ,behind the ear drum. throbbingly painful,blocked ear, reduced hearing,tinnitus ,worse/provoked with pressure changes and "colds" ie flights. Discharge with ear drum perforation (pus and blood coming out of your ear).Inappropriately treated can lead to mastoiditis and even brain  abcess /death.A leading cause of death in the preantibiotic era .A common outcome is ear drum perforation ,which in old fuckers do not heal well,or at all

(3) inner ear/ vertigo ,tinnitus ,vomiting ...a  vestibular/ neurological condition essentially

 

See the similarities..blocked ear,pain,reduced hearing,tinnitus,discharge /pus /blood from the ear  ...but the treatments are different.

Oral antibiotics often makes (1) worse unless it is the correct one and ear drops dont work on (2) until the ear drum perforates.In (2) ..if given the wrong drop(neomycin for eg) it can permanently damage your hearing 

All 3 need different treatments ,,use the wrong treatment you make it worse...or even worse.

Hydrogen peroxide should only be used for wax...if its painful it is NOT wax 99% of the time 

 And if you just use  just drops for a rampant middle ear infection(2) you,literally put your brain at risk 

FFS ..see a bloody doctor ..Namps ,Larry and Toy Boy in particular(sorry guys but you are ill informed and seriously wrong) ... and  take note and for Christs sake STFU, much as I love you all !! lest you do some idiot reading your posts on this subject    some serious  harm or by virtue of ignorance , yourselves 

As far as the board is  concerned...maybe it may be sensible to have a medical section for topics like this  where nurses,doctors ,physios ,OTs etc  ...who are BMs who do NOT  need to declare can at least attempt to  counter harmful advise by virtue of explanation which has a ring of truth and appropriate links

 

BTW I called a professional to Dynabolt my damaged  gate because I didnt have a fucking clue how to do it effectively

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...