Sign in to follow this  
Thai Spice

Immigration - The history of Europeans in America

In our days where immigration is a major subject, I think this documentary is very interesting.

It covers the discovery of America, and more precisely the successive immigration flows from the old continent to those new territories.  One can regret it doesn’t cover the “conquest of the West” phase, but I think the approach was the immigration flow to America, not how later those immigrants moved inside the new country.

The docu contains several subtill “hints” with the present days’ situation, and also speaks a bit about the less glamorous phases of that immigration process. One will note the reasons for the migrants to move to new horizons, and also the big “business” behind this has some similarities with the nowadays migrations.

It also reminds the origin of the Statue of Liberty, I think very few people are aware of this.

This is a D.W. (German TV) documentary, they are very good at this stuff and usually very objective.

There are some great quality shots taken by drone, and the image quality is superb.

For Admin / Mods : I don’t think this should go in the politics section as it is simply a historic summary. If for any reasons, you don’t agree with this than I would ask you to simply delete the whole thing. I put this in “General topics” but maybe it would better be in advanced ?

To our American B.M. : I would be interested to know your comments on this, more specifically how this stands compared to what is taught in history lessons in American schools ? Again, please only supported / documented facts that would be constructive to the story, not the “this is B.S.” thing, and only on the migration part.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting doco. It skipped over a couple of things like the devastation to the indigenous people caused by the introduction of new diseases like flu, cholera and syphilis from Europe. This decimated their population as they had no immunity or knowledge of these introduced diseases.

It also breezed over the post WW2 wave of immigration, where whole villages emigrated to new places not just the US, Australia, and South America also relied on this wave of immigration for several decades to build infrastructure. It was these post war immigrants who were the muscle that build the railroads, highways and dams that the US relied on in the 60's and 70's to progress further.

2 minutes ago, Chang_Paarp said:

Interesting doco. It skipped over a couple of things like the devastation to the indigenous people caused by the introduction of new diseases like flu, cholera and syphilis from Europe. This decimated their population as they had no immunity or knowledge of these introduced diseases.

It also breezed over the post WW2 wave of immigration, where whole villages emigrated to new places not just the US, Australia, and South America also relied on this wave of immigration for several decades to build infrastructure. It was these post war immigrants who were the muscle that build the railroads, highways and dams that the US relied on in the 60's and 70's to progress further.

Yes, I made myself the same remark. But I guess they had to stick to a certain duration limit for this kind of do.  

It also carefully avoided to be too explicit on the massacre of the Indians.

But still, globally a very good docu, and I learned a few things.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:32 AM, Thai Spice said:

It also reminds the origin of the Statue of Liberty, I think very few people are aware of this.

Interesting documentary. TFP Most Americans are aware of it's origin and thanks for that gift. :default_biggrin: Been out to that island a couple of times ~ beautiful statue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Steelers4Life said:

Interesting documentary. TFP Most Americans are aware of it's origin and thanks for that gift. :default_biggrin: Been out to that island a couple of times ~ beautiful statue. 

We are all eternally grateful for Europeans(DW for Gods sake ..the German BBC )telling Americans about their history 

11 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

We are all eternally grateful for Europeans(DW for Gods sake ..the German BBC )telling Americans about their history 

A decent docu, but nothing that wasn't taught to me in grades 1 thru 3 of primary school some 50 years ago. I think the target audience for the docu was Euro's not Seppo's. Obvious slant avoiding the virtual genocide of Native Americans , nor the role the Chinese played in 20th century infrastructure explosion in Seppo land.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

4 hours ago, STARGAZER said:

A decent docu, but nothing that wasn't taught to me in grades 1 thru 3 of primary school some 50 years ago. I think the target audience for the docu was Euro's not Seppo's. Obvious slant avoiding the virtual genocide of Native Americans , nor the role the Chinese played in 20th century infrastructure explosion in Seppo land.

Of course the docu is intended for European viewers....

And I already spoke about they "passed" the conquest of the West, the Indian massacre. Agreed on the Chinese, who build the American railroads, but there are several docu videos on Youtube on that specific subject.

Globally this is a very decent doc. Remember its not a University history lesson, and targets a general (european) public.

And DW is well know for thei documentaries. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this