Retirement extension and health insurance

johnpat

Has anyone renewed their retirement extension at Jomtien since Nov 1 and if so did they demand proof of health insurance?

I've still seen no consistent answer to whether health insurance is needed for extensions so the ultimate answer is what is being asked of those renewing.   I have plenty of inpatient coverage myself but for outpatient I insure myself as it's cheap enough.  

1 hour ago, johnpat said:

Has anyone renewed their retirement extension at Jomtien since Nov 1 and if so did they demand proof of health insurance?

I've still seen no consistent answer to whether health insurance is needed for extensions so the ultimate answer is what is being asked of those renewing.   I have plenty of inpatient coverage myself but for outpatient I insure myself as it's cheap enough.  

the rules apply to visas applied for outside thailand not within, I think you will find.  so you should be fine

Someone posted in another forum that he was told that Jomtien would require proof of health insurance from one of the approved companies when renewing an extension at Jomtien.  Told by whom was not specified.     I figure that the only way to know for sure is hear from those renewing.  I don't renew my extension until February but I renew my health insurance in January and I'd like to know if I have to buy outpatient coverage as well.

Just received the following email from the Bangkok US Embassy.

New Health Insurance Requirement for Long-Stay Visa Applicants (November 8, 2019)

Event:  As of October 31, 2019, Thailand requires all long-stay (O-A and O-X) visa applicants to carry health insurance.  Per Royal Thai Police Order Number 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019, foreign nationals who have been granted a nonimmigrant O-A or O-X visa must purchase health insurance which covers their length of stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.  The coverage must be no less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for inpatient care and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient services. 

U.S. citizens can present proof of existing insurance (U.S.-based or otherwise) that covers them in Thailand or they can purchase an insurance policy via the Thai General Insurance Association’s website at http://longstay.tgia.org. 

U.S. citizens will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by their insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Actions to Take:

·        Visit the Royal Thai Embassy website to review visa requirements.

·        Learn more about Thai health insurance policy options.

·        Learn more about Insurance Providers for Overseas Coverage.

• Great Info 1

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Now only Non OA visas and extensions of are required to have the insurance. But that will change you can bet. If you have a Non O no insurance needed to extend 

Is it now accepted that extensions of non-OA have to have insurance?

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

Thanks.

I've just updated my reading on ThaiVisa about the insurance situation. What a bloody mess!

Err … why is it a mess???

If you have a Non AO visa or O-X visa you need insurance as has been stated.

If you have a Non O visa you do not.

cheers

1 minute ago, roobob said:

Err … why is it a mess???

If you have a Non AO visa or O-X visa you need insurance as has been stated.

If you have a Non O visa you do not.

cheers

It's a mess because the IOs are unsure of the rules, so people are being treated differently.

For example, people with a non-OA visa issued before 31 October don't need insurance - but at the airport an IO was reading 31 October as being the arrival date not the visa issue date.

Have a read of TV and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bazle said:

It's a mess because the IOs are unsure of the rules, so people are being treated differently.

For example, people with a non-OA visa issued before 31 October don't need insurance - but at the airport an IO was reading 31 October as being the arrival date not the visa issue date.

Have a read of TV and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

Well.. if it says that on TV... then it must be true.... 555

cheers

• Surprised 1

Looking at my visa that I got in 2011 I see written by hand:  NON  "O"

and then next to it is the word "RETIREMENT" rubber stamped next to it.

Does the word "RETIREMENT" turn it into an O-A visa?   

I'm thinking based on this new video that it does not, that existing retired folks are grandfathered in and do not have to get this insurance at this moment?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnpat said:

Looking at my visa that I got in 2011 I see written by hand:  NON  "O"

and then next to it is the word "RETIREMENT" rubber stamped next to it.

Does the word "RETIREMENT" turn it into an O-A visa?   

No, O and OA are different types of visa with different requirements for their issue (e.g. an OA needs a criminal record check in your home country).

Report from my retirement extension today, though at Maptaphut not Jomtien.  A sign was posted  on their wall that after Oct 31 O-A visa holders had to present proof of insurance to get the extension.  When I retired here, it was off an O visa, so insurance wasn't even mentioned.

And a shout out to Maptaphut immigration.  I came with my TM7 and TM47 pre-filled, bank letter, and copies of passport and bank book made and signed.  I had to fill out the one additional form advising of penalties for overstay.  I arrived at 10:47 and at 11:03 I was walking out with my extension and updated 90 day report.  Having dealt with immigration in 3 other locations, the folks at Maptaphut are the best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...