"Friends"

Glasseye

They're funny sometimes.....

Some things recently has made me wonder.....  regarding what is really a friend. Do you nurture each other, try to put them in the best light, back them up, help them out, support them when they are in a jam, talk favorably about them to others ?

or

Do you put up a false front, friendly and all - while putting them down behind their back, snickering and such when they do something stupid, not really caring about their well being, divulging otherwise discreet conversations with you ?

Not always easy to tell. but over time things filter out and you begin to get a clearer picture.

• Like 3

There are friends, they are close and knows you in and out and you know them in and out. Small by number.

Then there are comrades. A much broader circle covering anything from colleagues and class mates, drinking partners, members of the same club, sharing same hobbies, etc. Large by numbers.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, grayray said:

,but lose a mate and you never get him back

But ya never really lose a mate imo, if ya do he was'nt really a mate in the first place just a friend. The reason why your mates is because you sing off the same hymn sheet, share the same values, standards and common interests. I can honestly say that i've only ever had 4 real mates in my life 2 in the UK and 2 here in Thailand, you know the kind of mates you'll do anything for and likewise.

I got loadsa good friends shedloads of em i'm happy to say but they don't fall in the same category as "real mates"

Just sayin like :default_drinks: 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Glasseye said:

They're funny sometimes.....

Some things recently has made me wonder.....  regarding what is really a friend. Do you nurture each other, try to put them in the best light, back them up, help them out, support them when they are in a jam, talk favorably about them to others ?

or

Do you put up a false front, friendly and all - while putting them down behind their back, snickering and such when they do something stupid, not really caring about their well being, divulging otherwise discreet conversations with you ?

Not always easy to tell. but over time things filter out and you begin to get a clearer picture.

real frend is some one you can tell truth even when it bad. they may be mad but also thankyou for truth.

if can not do that than think not true frend.

is very close to family when you still support them unconditinal but also tell them when do bad.

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

But ya never really lose a mate imo, if ya do he was'nt really a mate in the first place just a friend. The reason why your mates is because you sing off the same hymn sheet, share the same values, standards and common interests. I can honestly say that i've only ever had 4 real mates in my life 2 in the UK and 2 here in Thailand, you know the kind of mates you'll do anything for and likewise.

I got loadsa good friends shedloads of em i'm happy to say but they don't fall in the same category as "real mates"

Just sayin like :default_drinks: 

yes you can loose a mate when he or you do something that really flucks you up.

I haven't yet lost any, got the 3 I had as a school kid back 70years ago,2 have not seen for a long time,one who we stay in touch all the time the others know that I can't travel,

hear from on our birthdays,see them at a few funerals over the last 15 years.

but if I walked into our old town local where they still live,we would just start up like I just got back from another mongering tour,

there was 5 regulars who one of the barstaff called us the "filthy five" we won a prawn tray at the raffle and one of us had bag peanuts he brought back from queenslands Kingaroy peanut farms.

so we ate the prawns and nuts and the shells was all over the table and floor,and the nickname stuck.

fluck how can I remember that he have trouble remembering the beer order when its my shout.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Thumbs Up 2

I tend not to keep in touch with friends because I change so much.
I really don’t over think my relationships with people, male or female. I either like them or not and enjoy their company or not.

One thing I try not to be is a burden on anybody, so for example, I would never ask anyone else to move a body. Why put your friendship under pressure by putting them in danger.

I would say most people I know are my friends.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, misteregg said:

One thing I try not to be is a burden on anybody, so for example, I would never ask anyone else to move a body.

Eek!

Have you done something you haven't told us about, lol?

A customer who didn't pay his bin, maybe?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, misteregg said:

I tend not to keep in touch with friends because I change so much.
I really don’t over think my relationships with people, male or female. I either like them or not and enjoy their company or not.

One thing I try not to be is a burden on anybody, so for example, I would never ask anyone else to move a body. Why put your friendship under pressure by putting them in danger.

I would say most people I know are my friends.

I'd help ya mate,

you do know how 3 blokes keep a secret?

you kill the other two:default_2guns::default_268213:

regards

grayray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I presently live in a place where the person I know the longest I've known for exactly a year, and he's a coworker who I don't socialize with.  I'm starting to meet people, and some may eventually work out to be friends, but right now there are a bunch of people I know for varying lengths of time and have various degrees of relationship with (i.e. we run into each other at the bar, we plan to meet someplace sometimes, we're planning an offshore fishing trip together, etc.).  A few of these folks I could ask favors of, and would do favors for if asked.

A friend is more than that, more like a hybrid between that and family.  A person you care about whether you offend them, and about whether or not you see them again, a person whose problems you care about.  I have people who could potentially end up friends, including a mad Aussie,  a drunk Londoner, and some Irish lads, as well as some actual American coonts.  But no real friends here yet, although I can't speak for how they think of me.

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

My oldest mate joined the RAF on the same day as me in September 1970.He lives in China at the moment(Chinese wife) but we talk most days on Whatsapp and are due for a couple of very boozy reunions,one being the 50th anniversary of signing on the dotted line.

I keep in touch with quite a few old mates from the RAF and we all relentlessly take the piss out of each other.That's what mates do.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 7:12 AM, thegrogmonster said:

Just said my final goodbye to my mate of over 30 years. He wasn't comprehensive but good to say goodbye and then I shed a few tears with his wife and son.

I couldn't have asked for a better mate.

I did it with two this year very close mate within 6 weeks of each other (the first one I couldnt go to the funeral because I was in LOS.

I had known these two since I was 16 years old and it hurt when they died like never before especially my 2nd mate (suicide and he told me he was gonna do it) I was best man at his wedding etc etc ..

The only good thing to come out of it I ended up meeting back up with an old mate (we all had a reunion in Aug and October on the strength of it and laid loads of old grudges and things that needed to be said to rest.

It's made me realise when you see someone and say "We gotta meet up" make the fucking effort because one day it really will be too late.

All the best for 2020

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, roomark said:

It's made me realise when you see someone and say "We gotta meet up" make the fucking effort because one day it really will be too late.

Absolutely,I go to Jaguar(the aircraft not the car) reunions in Norwich & every time there's someone else gone off to the big hangar in the sky.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/9/2019 at 11:29 AM, grayray said:

we in OZ there are "friends" and then there is "mates" a mate is closer than a friend,in some cases a mate is closer than a wife,

most blokes share things with their mate, things that they would never tell wifey.

you can always get another wife,but lose a mate and you never get him back

regards

grayray

I thought in Australia you call your mate a c**t and a c**t,mate?

• Thumbs Up 2