Eye Glass Repair

Glasseye

No this is not a joke...

Does anyone know where you can get a pair of prescription glasses repaired in BKK (sukumvit area) ? Many of these glass shops that sell prescription eye glasses will not do repairs. I'm looking for someone who is good at it like a jeweler or someone who specializes in it. The frame connection came loose at one of the screw joints. Some kind if weld or glue might even work. I just don't want to chance doing it myself. 

Anyone who gets me to the right place (soon please) and helps me get these fucking things fixed will enjoy several brews on me, at some point.

2 hours ago, Freee!! said:

Your best bet is probably a jeweler, who also happens to be a gold or silver smith and ask them to solder it (not weld). They have the tools and experience working with small stuff. 

Good advice.

I'm hoping someone is able to direct me to a place where they know this can be done. Hunting around for it could be a pain. I know a watch guy in Terminal 21 who took real good care of me last trip. I'll start there. 

Thanks, you just jogged my memory regarding this guy. If he cant do it I bet he can get me to someone who can ( I sure hope so at least).

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

I buy my reading glasses from either a market stall or the local Tesco two or three at a time and just throw them away when they break.

The wee ones in a tube are perfect for reading a bar bill and tend to last the longest. :default_biggrin: 

I do the same, and they suffice for reading a menu or how much I owe. If you have astigmatism, then the generic, throw away glasses will cause eye strain if you read a book or work on a computer for any length of time. To correct for astigmatism, you need prescription glasses. Thus a broken frame is cheaper to repair than buying a new frame that will fit your prescription lenses.

On a side note, I tried buying a frame and lenses from one of the Charoen outlets. Learned from that mistake. Frames only lasted about four months before the frame coating started to peel away. Tried to replace them under their one year guarantee, was told they hadn't broken so no replacement. Saw the garbage bin just behind the counter and chucked them into the bin and told the clerk that's what the frames and their guarantee was worth.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I do the same, and they suffice for reading a menu or how much I owe. If you have astigmatism, then the generic, throw away glasses will cause eye strain if you read a book or work on a computer for any length of time. To correct for astigmatism, you need prescription glasses. Thus a broken frame is cheaper to repair than buying a new frame that will fit your prescription lenses.

On a side note, I tried buying a frame and lenses from one of the Charoen outlets. Learned from that mistake. Frames only lasted about four months before the frame coating started to peel away. Tried to replace them under their one year guarantee, was told they hadn't broken so no replacement. Saw the garbage bin just behind the counter and chucked them into the bin and told the clerk that's what the frames and their guarantee was worth.

You're my hero !

10 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Saw the garbage bin just behind the counter and chucked them into the bin and told the clerk that's what the frames and their guarantee was worth.

I hope you did that with a couple of other customers in the shop, otherwise it was a waste of effort.

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

i went to a rayban shop in a mall.  chap replaced the missing screws and tightened up, and i had to persuade hi to take 200 baht for a beer.  very pleasant and helpful

I sat on my raybans after a year or so and that was the end of them.

Christmas present from Sai which was most upsetting at the time and I do get pointed reminders from time to time! 😟

22 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I sat on my raybans after a year or so and that was the end of them.

Christmas present from Sai which was most upsetting at the time and I do get pointed reminders from time to time! 😟

Shards of broken plastic still stuck in your arse?

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Had a similar experience with Charoen and learned about their shenanigans. Bought the temporary wife a pair of glasses a few years ago with this wonderful "Guarantee" they gave me of replacement. The lenses started popping out 2 days later. So I wanted a replacement but the clerk just tweaked them instead.  She said we were good to go. The lenses continued to pop out. I went back to try for a replacement again. They blamed the temporary wife and said she must have bent them or some shit. I told the clerk "dtaaw laae" which is not a nice term in Thai for liar and basically "your full of shit". I was asked to then leave.  No replacement and 3,500 baht wasted. 

Edited by Steelers4Life
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

On a side note, I tried buying a frame and lenses from one of the Charoen outlets. Learned from that mistake.

48 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Had a similar experience with Charoen and learned about their shenanigans.

They're worse than double glazing salesmen ime lol, i will never ever go back into one of their "Con shops"

I WEAR READING GLASSES.   but to be honest i buy 12 pairs at a time online for 50 baht a pair.  and being cheap , when they break i keep the remnants and every now and then make a few pairs from the leftovers.  the mini screwdrivers can be bought anywhere and i dont use a glasses box, so they sit in my pocket.    In the UK I paid good money for glasses, here its pointless.  and the lenses in the cheap glasses are absolutley fine

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Years ago I used to visit Pantip Plaza alot and I noticed a Top Charoen Optical store near Ratchathewi BTS.

I thought I'd drop in and get the prescription checked on the zillion dollar tough as nails, light as a feather titanium frame with the triple coated Hoya lens spectacles I'd bought when I first noticed that my arms were no longer long enough to be able to read.

On entering I was greeted by the smoking hot female in the tight fitting white uniform. Despite her best efforts to sell me some new spectacles I finally convinced her that I was only interested in some new lenses at best so I was led out back where a young fellow, also in a white coat but nowhere near as attractive, was stationed with all his Canon eye testing equipment just like in Australia.

So he checked my eyes and yes, the prescription was off a bit. So after calculating a new prescription I was asked if I wanted the 600 baht cheap charlie lenses or the triple coated Hoya lenses like the ones I already had for 1800 baht. I opted for the Hoya lenses.

Deal done, I was expecting to be asked to come back some time in the future like in Perth where the Hoya lenses are cut in Sydney and take two weeks. But no, I was ushered into a lounge area and invited to help myself to ice water, coffee etc. After about 30 minutes the ubiquitous M/C taxi rider appeared handing over a small package.

After a few minutes I was again invited out back and offered my spectacles to try while the young fellow held up a card for me to read. The look of disappointment on his face when I uttered not a word. Then the smoking hot female in the tight fitting uniform suggested he turn the card over so I could read the English instead of the Thai and all was good.

I don't know if it was my original zillion dollar tough as nails, light as a feather titanium frames or the triple coated Hoya lenses instead of the cheap charlie lenses or that the guy took the time to properly fit the lenses to the frames but those glasses lasted me several years without any problems until I had my cataracts removed.

After my cataracts were removed I, of course, needed a new prescription which the ophthalmologist gave me although he said that as my eyes were now perfectly matched I could probably just use cheap reading magnifiers. I got the new prescribed lenses, triple coated Hoya which still took 2 weeks to come from Sydney as well as buying a boat load of cheap x2 magnifiers which I still use to this day.

I just dug out the zillion dollar ... with the Hoya ... spectacles and compared them to the cheap as chips magnifiers and from a visual acuity point of view I can't tell the difference.

And now, the vision of this video is slightly fuzzy, It's not your eyes. A sharper version f***d up the punch line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I WEAR READING GLASSES.   but to be honest i buy 12 pairs at a time online for 50 baht a pair.  and being cheap , when they break i keep the remnants and every now and then make a few pairs from the leftovers.  the mini screwdrivers can be bought anywhere and i dont use a glasses box, so they sit in my pocket.    In the UK I paid good money for glasses, here its pointless.  and the lenses in the cheap glasses are absolutley fine

Bingo, me too Tommy. I got a pair in virtually every room in the house and car and not one pair cost more than 200bht.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 11:47 PM, Yessongs said:

So Brad, now that you can see again, what's the talent level looking like there in my old haunts BKK? Kind of miss the place at times you know. 

I just had to delete a whole bunch of pics.    Never happened, never happened.     55555555555555555

Thank Buddha I have my specs back. Thank dear Buddha.     lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I came back from my last trip to the UK back in August I brought with me three pairs of "reading" specs and a "spectacle repair kit"  all purchased in the pound shop in Livingston for a total cost of 4 UK pounds.

One pair is still in use when I am using either the lap top or PC.

One pair has not yet been used as it is again suitable for the PC.

One pair immediately broke (the ones suitable for reading) when I tried to tighten a loose screw as did the tweezers and the minature screwdriver from the  repair kit. I chucked the specs and the rest of the repair kit in the bin.

As I might as well list "buying reading specs from the market" as a hobby it is not exactly if I am short of reading specs. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1