Eye Glass Repair

Glasseye

Some years ago I bought a pair of prescription glasses from one of the big places in BKK... I was more interested in the "optician" than the glasses....

A mate in the UK who is an optician had a look at them, said the lenses were good, but the frames were rubbish. Then the paint started peeling.... I stripped them down and resprayed them, then got another couple of years from them. 

18 hours ago, Jambo said:

When I came back from my last trip to the UK back in August I brought with me three pairs of "reading" specs and a "spectacle repair kit"  all purchased in the pound shop in Livingston for a total cost of 4 UK pounds.

One pair is still in use when I am using either the lap top or PC.

One pair has not yet been used as it is again suitable for the PC.

One pair immediately broke (the ones suitable for reading) when I tried to tighten a loose screw as did the tweezers and the minature screwdriver from the  repair kit. I chucked the specs and the rest of the repair kit in the bin.

As I might as well list "buying reading specs from the market" as a hobby it is not exactly if I am short of reading specs. :default_biggrin:

cheap tools are always crap mate.  i had knuckles like a losing rize fighter when i as young before learningthat lesson.. thse little babies have saved me a fortune on numerous jobs over the years.. probably 20 plus yrs old now too76607553_587410868663208_6755479632390127616_n.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jambo said:

When I came back from my last trip to the UK back in August I brought with me three pairs of "reading" specs and a "spectacle repair kit"  all purchased in the pound shop in Livingston for a total cost of 4 UK pounds.

One pair is still in use when I am using either the lap top or PC.

One pair has not yet been used as it is again suitable for the PC.

One pair immediately broke (the ones suitable for reading) when I tried to tighten a loose screw as did the tweezers and the minature screwdriver from the  repair kit. I chucked the specs and the rest of the repair kit in the bin.

As I might as well list "buying reading specs from the market" as a hobby it is not exactly if I am short of reading specs. :default_biggrin:

When my vision slowly began to diminish I started with cheap "reading" glasses. At the time I was working nights, so it was even more difficult to read, especially when out on the street. That I found was completely unacceptable, and it became very stressful. I went back to day shift which helped some, but the vision issues persisted. The more I used reading glasses the quicker my eyes would tire. Finally I gave in and went to an ophthalmologist. The prescription was like discovering a new life. My eyes never tucker out now. Highly recommend.

Also you need to have eyes checked for glaucoma and cataracts. Must do.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, Bazle said:

But only if both your eyes need the same amount of correction.

Good point but i don't seem to have a problem with reading glasses the same spec on both lenses, its only my left eye that needs correction and the right just gets some magnification. I'm too old now to worry to much about getting it 100% right lol

Guy I knew in the uk had different prescriptions for both eyes. He bought two pairs, with the prescriptions for each eye. He the changed the lenses around, and threw the now wrong pair of lenses way... keeping the 2nd pair of frames for when he sat on the first pair...

While I'm all in favour of cheap magnifiers and they certainly work for me.

But when an optometrist fills you prescription he should measure the distance between your pupils and set the focal point of the lenses to match that distance when mounting the lenses in the frames.

Cheap magnifiers are a bit like Thai motorcycle helmets, one size fits all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

While I'm all in favour of cheap magnifiers and they certainly work for me.

But when an optometrist fills you prescription he should measure the distance between your pupils and set the focal point of the lenses to match that distance when mounting the lenses in the frames.

Cheap magnifiers are a bit like Thai motorcycle helmets, one size fits all.

For some reason I can always remember this distance....

Its 69.

Dont know why I can remember it...

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 4:17 PM, Jambo said:

I buy my reading glasses from either a market stall or the local Tesco two or three at a time and just throw them away when they break.

The wee ones in a tube are perfect for reading a bar bill and tend to last the longest. :default_biggrin: 

Yea, I do the same ... 20 baht for a pair ... there is a pretty big Saturday market that is pretty close to me here in the deep South .... I swear ... I have about 30 or 40 pairs in a drawer because Beach Gal wouldn't stop buying them for me .....

• Like 2