Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

58 minutes ago, fforest said:

https://www.thaiwater.net/water#close

Man they sure dont make looking up Mabprachan easy...I cant figure it out..

47 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I just clicked on each of the red dots East of Pattaya and they say between 95% to 101% full but I don't know which is Mabprachan, same same you!

Zoom in on the map to make it easy to spot Mabprachan, then click on its red dot. I also used Chrome's translate to English.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Had a look this morning at the state of the reservoirs at the end of the rainy season. The news is good. First time in I can't remember how many years, maybe nine, that I've seen the reservoirs full.

First set of pics showing Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.
PB110003.JPG

Looks like one of the channels they dug during the drought is now being used as a fish farm.
PB110005.JPG

PB110007.JPG

The prevailing winds has pushed all the floating vegetation to the south end of the reservoir.
PB110009.JPG

Closer to the north side it looks like they strung a cable across to keep the vegetation from clogging the new park on the north end when the winds shift around.
PB110062.JPG

PB110010.JPG

PB110013.JPG

PB110014.JPG

Something to behold, the water level is up to the spillway edge for the first time in donkey years.
PB110020.JPG

PB110024.JPG

On the east side they now have an outlet pipe which I believe connects to water sources south of Pattaya. That gives the water management dept the option of pumping water into the reservoir when things get dire again.
PB110026.JPG

PB110027.JPG

@thegrogmonster your neighbors are building quite the mansion next to your plot of land.
PB110028.JPG

PB110030.JPG

Your plot is going to need some de-jungleization before you build your mansion.
PB110035.JPG

A sea of green on the east side.
PB110037.JPG

PB110038.JPG

PB110059.JPG

There is now a beautiful park on the north end of the reservoir which you can read about in this topic.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks very much for the update and the pictures of the building work going on next to our land. The latest plan from the wife is to sell our townhouse off Soi Nern Plab Wan so she can start building her dream house on the land. I'm not saying anything but I am not spending anymore baht on property in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...
54 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

The missus has started work on the block.

IMG_5295.jpegIMG_5296.jpeg

Didn't she mention the large project on northern end of the reservoir? They've been working for several months now digging out a huge portion on that end to make it deeper.

About time I put some km's on my bike and get out there for some pics.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

How strange ... I was sitting under my tree this morning thinking about this thread and wondering if we'd be getting an update !!

I thought you were going to say you were hit on the head by an apple and discovered gravity.

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I thought you were going to say you were hit on the head by an apple and discovered gravity.

It is a tree with edible red berries. It is a prolific grower that always needs tending. I have a small concrete tiled seat underneath and am continually doinked on the head with red berries..but as yet haven't come up with any coherent new ideas... plenty of incoherent ones though !!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is a tree with edible red berries. It is a prolific grower that always needs tending. I have a small concrete tiled seat underneath and am continually doinked on the head with red berries..but as yet haven't come up with any coherent new ideas... plenty of incoherent ones though !!!!!!!

Randomberry wine?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Didn't she mention the large project on northern end of the reservoir? They've been working for several months now digging out a huge portion on that end to make it deeper.

About time I put some km's on my bike and get out there for some pics.

Apparently some new local council law is that vacant land will be taxed at a higher rate so the plan is to start levelling the block and at this stage plant some fruit trees. The missus could be telling me lies but as I am not paying for anything more to do with properties in Thailand she can do what she pleases.

I believe some gold has been sold to fund this project.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thegrogmonster said:

Apparently some new local council law is that vacant land will be taxed at a higher rate so the plan is to start levelling the block and at this stage plant some fruit trees. The missus could be telling me lies but as I am not paying for anything more to do with properties in Thailand she can do what she pleases.

It was a very quiet place when we bought the block of land. It was on a dirt road and virtually no cars going past at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Apparently some new local council law is that vacant land will be taxed at a higher rate so the plan is to start levelling the block and at this stage plant some fruit trees.

Seen that done on several sites around Pattaya in the last couple of years for precisely that reason.

10 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

8 minutes ago, KWA said:

Seen that done on several sites around Pattaya in the last couple of years for precisely that reason.

There's vacant land off of Beach Rd that is now growing banana trees. Same on land off of Arunotai.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I drove past Mabprachan a few days ago and it's looking healthy. On the way back I came past the Chaknok reservoir and, while it's got more water in it that it had back in the drought, it's still very low. I passed it on Tongloon-Talman (or whatever it's called, lol), and in years gone by there was water all the way up to the  creek there, but now the lake is well off in the distance.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I drove past Mabprachan a few days ago and it's looking healthy. On the way back I came past the Chaknok reservoir and, while it's got more water in it that it had back in the drought, it's still very low. I passed it on Tongloon-Talman (or whatever it's called, lol), and in years gone by there was water all the way up to the  creek there, but now the lake is well off in the distance.

I understand they're now pumping excess water from the north into Mabprachan and using that reservoir more for meeting periods of high demand.

It could be Chaknok is still used as the primary source for water in the surrounding area, so it's more at the mercy of local rainfall for replenishment.

When you passed by did you noticed the large, temporary earthen berm in the distance that is being used to hold back the water while they dig out and increase the depth of the northern end of the reservoir?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, forcebwithu said:

When you passed by did you noticed the large, temporary earthen berm in the distance that is being used to hold back the water while they dig out and increase the depth of the northern end of the reservoir?

No, I didn't, I was just out for a run in my new car so not paying much attention to anything else. I just went from Soi Siam Country Club, under the motorway to the SW end of the lake, then up the southern side to the turning for Horseshoe Point, so it was far from a circumnavigation.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...