Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

Reservoir update time. A month since the last update and water levels are much improved. A few pics of Mabprachan Reservoir.
50089544367_91be872ae9_b.jpg

50089544322_2079140b78_b.jpg

50089305061_e44746fa9d_b.jpg

Some very high weeds now on the north end of the reservoir. Once the reservoir fills and the weeds die and decompose, there's a good chance the low oxygen levels that creates may kill off what remains of the fish population.
50088728603_3c5aa4f03f_b.jpg

50089305026_28301ca676_b.jpg

• Like 2

The village where I live in South Pattaya has a spare swimming pool that hasn't been used in at least a decade. It belongs to the developer rather than the HOA, so there's nothing much we can do about it. We apply what pressure we can on the developer to clean it up every year, and every year they ignore us. So when the dry season arrives the village pays to pump out all the accumulated rain water, and until the rains start in earnest it's pretty much empty. I was surprised yesterday when I happened to take a look and see that it was almost half-full again. There's nothing feeding water in, so that's just what's fallen from the sky like it's a giant rain gauge. Must be a couple of feet deep by now, I didn't think we'd had that much rain yet, but it explains why Mabprachan is starting to look a lot healthier.

• Like 2

Pattaya Water Authority warns that despite rains, water supply remains low

The Pattaya Water Authority, in a post on their facebook page, warned this week that although Pattaya had recently suffered flooding and isolated heavy rains that reservoirs in the city remained low on water.

PWA Pattaya office chief Chaithas Eedsaeng stated in an interview with associated local press that the city water supply, although improved from prior months, was now only at 20% of capacity. This is based on all five reservoirs for the city that feed into the main treatment plant.

This has led to the Pattaya Water Authority deciding to reduce the total volume of tap water available to city residents daily, to 150,000 million cubic metres from 200,000 million cubic metres.  This may lead to some portions of the Pattaya area seeing reduced or even no water flow for periods of time, according to Chaithas.

He also stated that the situation was likely to improve in the back-end of this month as more rainfall was predicted for the Pattaya area.

The Pattaya News notes that rainfall is only one factor of lack of water, as we have previously discussed, with climate change, water management issues, construction related work and other factors also reportedly leading to the current situation.

• Great Info 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a nice ride today to capture a photo update of the area reservoirs. First up Mabprachan, which as you can see in the photos is slowly recovering, but still very low.

50194468951_ce114826f1_b.jpg

Saw this guy making good use of an umbrella to catch the wind and propel him and his boat along.
50194469126_cd0652c348_b.jpg

Water is once again around the base of the overflow structure.
50194728722_54d3e48cb5_b.jpg

50193921698_85073360ca_b.jpg

Looks like fishing restrictions. Can someone with Thai language skills translate?
50194728727_6d705b468c_b.jpg

50194469036_f9b34c3ee2_b.jpg

If you know where to look, you can just barely make out the top of the head of a Thai walking through the weeds. Hint: just left of center in the pic
50194728687_6cd9f97929_b.jpg

Here he is in a small clearing. Gives you a good idea of just how high the weeds have grown.
50193921888_c405978108_b.jpg

50194728622_6eaa1bb5fc_b.jpg

50193921808_b1c8a21f2f_b.jpg

50194728472_d0d35be828_b.jpg

• Like 4

i enjoy yur posts immensely.  my biggest concern is that the rainfall is still not heavy this season, and yes i know we have until november but at this rate, we could end up worse next year than this.    the piped in river supplies dont seem to add up to much at the moment anywhere.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Looks like fishing restrictions. Can someone with Thai language skills translate?

Google is struggling, but it seems to say fishing dates, ending 30th September, but not sure if that's open or close season.  Fines up to 50,000 baht or 5 times the value of your catch and rules on what equipment you can use.

19 minutes ago, KWA said:

Google is struggling, but it seems to say fishing dates, ending 30th September, but not sure if that's open or close season.  Fines up to 50,000 baht or 5 times the value of your catch and rules on what equipment you can use.

I had tried Google Translate too and found it wasn't much help. On another forum a BM posted this as an abbreviated translation:
No fishing through September 30th due to fish laying eggs now.

Google Translate:
Do not fish, chill, sniff the eggs. "Red water season, 1 July to 30 September 2020. People who gave 16 people during the season use Thew Galagus with Shan Shan. 1954 Tuwundon Sopaus violated a fine.  From 5,000-50,000 baht or five times the value of the fisheries fisheries allowed equipment 1. Ouins teaches more than 2 ues ug. Do not fight.  01, but three hands up in 2. Open Tears, Amara, Oml6, this poem 3. Oh, that is small, not more than 3 was.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tommy dee said:

i enjoy yur posts immensely.  my biggest concern is that the rainfall is still not heavy this season, and yes i know we have until november but at this rate, we could end up worse next year than this.    the piped in river supplies dont seem to add up to much at the moment anywhere.

Yeah, the last week there's been a TMD weather-warning for localised heavy rain and floods. As you probably saw from the media, they certainly caught it up north where there was some nasty flooding, but down here it was just a week of occasional light rain, probably a few millimetres. We need more than that to fill those lakes back up again.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Does anyone have some up-to-date photos?

If a blinking seaplane can now land on Lake Mabprachan, it must have filled up a lot in the last month, in spite of there being only limited rain.

1598715030918.jpg?fit=960,540&ssl=1?v=15

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/08/29/small-seaplane-crashes-at-mabprachan-reservoir-pilot-survives-with-no-injuries/

It didn't actually land did it.

16 minutes ago, fygjam said:

It didn't actually land did it.

If you bother reading the article you'll learn what actually happened.

But the important point is that the picture seems to show a rejuvenated reservoir compared with FBWU's last photos.

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

If you bother reading the article you'll learn what actually happened.

But the important point is that the picture seems to show a rejuvenated reservoir compared with FBWU's last photos.

I'll get out there and do a photo update sometime in the next couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I'll get out there and do a photo update sometime in the next couple of days.

Hi forcebwithu,

If you are out Lake Chark Nok way and remember where our block of land is could you please do me a favour and take a few photos of it. The reason I ask is that the missus has been wanting to clear the land and start raising it but I said no and leave it until we are closer to retirement. Now the land has apparently been cleared but was done in error and an adjacent block was supposed to be cleared but the contractors got it wrong.

I don't doubt our land has been cleared but I smell bullshit and believe the wife paid for it to be done.

5 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Hi forcebwithu,

If you are out Lake Chark Nok way and remember where our block of land is could you please do me a favour and take a few photos of it. The reason I ask is that the missus has been wanting to clear the land and start raising it but I said no and leave it until we are closer to retirement. Now the land has apparently been cleared but was done in error and an adjacent block was supposed to be cleared but the contractors got it wrong.

I don't doubt our land has been cleared but I smell bullshit and believe the wife paid for it to be done.

Will do. Found the your old post to remind me where exactly your land is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just two months remaining of the rainy season for Pattaya.

It is not unusual for July and August not to have much rain other than the odd horrendous thunderstorm with the more continuous daily rain in October but come November it is normally like throwing an off switch. I always used to come over at the beginning of November to play golf and never ever lost a day to bad weather.

If the heavy stuff does not happen in October it is going to be really bad by the end of the year.

It seems to be very different up here in Mae Sot. The rainy season really is the rainy season with downpours almost every day but September is the last month and that is it for another year.

The whole world's weather has become chaotic and unpredictable.

8 minutes ago, Jambo said:

It is not unusual for July and August not to have much rain other than the odd horrendous thunderstorm with the more continuous daily rain in October but come November it is normally like throwing an off switch. I always used to come over at the beginning of November to play golf and never ever lost a day to bad weather.

If the heavy stuff does not happen in October it is going to be really bad by the end of the year.

It seems to be very different up here in Mae Sot. The rainy season really is the rainy season with downpours almost every day but September is the last month and that is it for another year.

Pissing rain in London you and I's favourite weekend ....the Notting Hill Carnival.

Anyway well done on Charity Shield went out to get some bacon for a breakfast sarnie saw a 134 bus and thought of you D boy.

Namps

9 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Hi forcebwithu,

If I have the right plot of land, only saw a few piles of brush.

BM Land.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jambo said:

Somebody from the TMD was saying a few months ago that he expects the rainy season to be shorter than normal this year due to the probability of a La Niña event happening in the Autumn. There might be less than two months of the rainy season left if he's right.

Edited by Toy Boy

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Somebody from the TMD was saying a few months ago that he expects the rainy season to be sorter than normal this year due to the probability of a La Nina event happening in the Autumn. There might be less than two months of the rainy season left if he's right.

Just did a quick search and came up with a different outlook on the effects of La Nina for Thailand's predicted rainfall. 

La Nina may ease drought severity (7 May 2020)

Thailand may not encounter a severe drought this year as earlier expected, thanks to the influence of the La Nina phenomenon, but careful water usage is still needed especially among rice farmers who have been told to wait for the right time to start farming.

"The mild La Nina will bring a lot of rain to some areas," deputy Royal Irrigation Department chief Thawisak Thanadechophon said yesterday, referring to provinces in northern and eastern Thailand which will experience heavy rainfall between May and October this year.

The new forecast, announced by the Meteorological Department, alleviates fears of water scarcity which have gripped the country since late last year when water levels in major reservoirs sharply dropped, followed by low water flow in the Chao Phraya River, which is a source of tap water for Bangkok.