Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Just did a quick search and came up with a different outlook on the effects of La Nina for Thailand's predicted rainfall. 

La Nina may ease drought severity (7 May 2020)

Thailand may not encounter a severe drought this year as earlier expected, thanks to the influence of the La Nina phenomenon, but careful water usage is still needed especially among rice farmers who have been told to wait for the right time to start farming.

"The mild La Nina will bring a lot of rain to some areas," deputy Royal Irrigation Department chief Thawisak Thanadechophon said yesterday, referring to provinces in northern and eastern Thailand which will experience heavy rainfall between May and October this year.

The new forecast, announced by the Meteorological Department, alleviates fears of water scarcity which have gripped the country since late last year when water levels in major reservoirs sharply dropped, followed by low water flow in the Chao Phraya River, which is a source of tap water for Bangkok.

From what I recall the TMD wallah saying quite a while ago, he also thought the La Niña event would result in heavier rain than normal, but the wet season would be shorter. Maybe they're right if you live up north, but the rainfall down here in Pattaya's certainly nothing to write home about.

I remember last year I returned here from a break in the UK on 25th October. We had two or three days with some rain immediately after that, and then from the start of November until May we didn't have a decent drop of rain at all. I hope we're not heading for a repeat performance.

7 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

It doesn't look much like the picture in that Pattaya News article, does it? <scratch head>

Maybe if you remove the clumps of vegetation? Not sure if they're floating or just sticking above the surface.

Lake.jpg

I agree, it sure doesn't look like Mabprachan due to the lack of weeds in the PN pic. Think it's because of the low angle of the camera to the water, and the back lighting of the setting sun that the weeds aren't visible in the background of the shot

BTW, those are the tops of the weeds that grew when the reservoir was dry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2020 at 4:22 PM, Toy Boy said:

From what I recall the TMD wallah saying quite a while ago, he also thought the La Niña event would result in heavier rain than normal, but the wet season would be shorter. Maybe they're right if you live up north, but the rainfall down here in Pattaya's certainly nothing to write home about.

I remember last year I returned here from a break in the UK on 25th October. We had two or three days with some rain immediately after that, and then from the start of November until May we didn't have a decent drop of rain at all. I hope we're not heading for a repeat performance.

October is normally the last month of the rainy season for Pattaya as it is like throwing an off switch after the first few days of November. All the golfers (used) to return in droves in November but sadly no chance of that happening this year.

There certainly seemed to be less rain last year in October with very few, if any, of those periods when it rains non-stop for several days at a time. It is not looking good for the dry season's water supply.

6 minutes ago, Jambo said:

October is normally the last month of the rainy season for Pattaya as it is like throwing an off switch after the first few days of November. All the golfers (used) to return in droves in November but sadly no chance of that happening this year.

There certainly seemed to be less rain last year in October with very few, if any, of those periods when it rains non-stop for several days at a time. It is not looking good for the dry season's water supply.

Last year I cam back on 25th October after 6 weeks in the UK. We had some rain for the next few days, but from 1st November right through to early May we didn't have a drop. Normally, the rain eases off at the end of October but you can still get a decent shower in November, and even beyond on occasion. A few years ago we even had rain on Christmas Day, I made it for Christmas dinner with some mates at Fraser's in Jomtien only half an hour after it had stopped. I just hope we don't end up with another super-dry dry season.

4 hours ago, Jambo said:

A certain somebody says farangs do not take showers....So no water is not a problem for farangs....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Jambo said:

Last year we were below avg for rainfall for the entire year, with a large fall off in the last qtr.
image.png

source: http://www.pattayaweather.net/Historical-Weather-Statistics.html

This year things are looking normal, but to make up the deficit from last year we really needed above normal.
image.png

source: http://www.pattayaweather.net/

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

• 1 month later...

Now that rainy season is all but over, thought it would be interesting to compare the water level in Mabprachan Reservoir to what it was on this day one year ago. The photo update below has photos taken this morning followed by the photo from last year taken from the same point.

While the water level at the overflow outlet is only slightly lower than last year, you'll see in the other photos just how much lower the water level is across the reservoir compared to last year.

PB110032.jpg

PB110032b.jpg

PB110034.jpg

PB110039.jpg

PB110039b.jpg

PB110041.jpg

PB110041b.jpg

PB110045.jpg

PB110045b.jpg

PB110049.jpg

PB110049b.jpg

PB110055.jpg

PB110055b.jpg

PB110059.jpg

PB110059b.jpg

PB110071.jpg

PB110071b.jpg

PB110083.jpg

PB110083b.jpg

PB110084.jpg

PB110084b.jpg

PB110090.jpg

• Like 3

No water here yesterday, just one week into the dry season. That doesn't bode well, though it came back during the night and filled the water tank up. Hopefully, it was related to the new water mains they're running up from the Sattahip/Bang Saray area and we're not yet back to the one day water/one day drought routine yet.

Edited by Toy Boy

38 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

I am pretty certain you have highlighted the elephant in the room.  the much flaunted NEW PIPING is being laid but i dont see any great influx of the wet stuff into our reservoirs at all.  at this rate, feb we will be back to mud.

I think the new pipes are to bring water into Pattaya from other sources.

Because of the closed borders, we should be able to squeak by again this upcoming dry season.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I think the new pipes are to bring water into Pattaya from other sources.

Because of the closed borders, we should be able to squeak by again this upcoming dry season.

maybe with pressure cuts and zoning for cut offs.  its a bloody nightmare like that

• 1 month later...

A New Years update of the shrinking Pattaya reservoirs. First up is Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.

P1010019

As you can see in the pic below the current water level is down by about 1m from the same time one year ago.

P1010020

P1010006_stitch

P1010010

P1010028

P1010033

For @thegrogmonster, time to mow the jungle on your land.

P1010035

Took a hard fall off my bike at this spot. It's a section of road I've ridden on many times in the past, and one that most of the year has a stream of water crossing the road. What I didn't account for was the algae build up. So when I crossed at about 20kph it was liking hitting a stretch of ice and down I went. Fortunately only a bit of road rash, a bruised hip and slight wrist sprain. More importantly, no damage to the bike. 🙂

P1010037

P1010042_stitch

P1010046

P1010048_stitch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mabprachan Reservoir is looking in slightly better shape compared to this time last year. I guessing, but the reason for this might be Pattaya's water supply is now coming from the new water pipes that connect to water sources to the north.

P1010058

P1010059

P1010051_stitch

P1010065

P1010072

P1010076

P1010081

Looks like they're building a new park on Mabprachan.

P1010089_stitch

P1010099

It pissed me off when I came around the bend and saw this. There was plenty of space for them to park on the other side of the trees. But noooo, they had to park in the shade on the bike path. Saw a Thai couple were sitting in the back of the pickup so they got an earful from me as I rode past.

P1010100

P1010101

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A New Years update of the shrinking Pattaya reservoirs. First up is Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.

50786028466_0e5ce43031_b.jpg As you can see in the pic below the current water level is down by about 1m from the same time one year ago.

50786289422_f4651a3bda_c.jpg  

50786027716_8f5e3d9276_b.jpg  

50786028566_5e4fa0d2ea_b.jpg  

50786028321_4346560e4d_b.jpg  

50786028221_fc3ee48cb3_b.jpg For @thegrogmonster, time to mow the jungle on your land.

50785268893_88e3bd5522_b.jpg  

Took a hard fall off my bike at this spot. It's a section of road I've ridden on many times in the past, and one that most of the year has a stream of water crossing the road. What I didn't account for was the algae build up. So when I crossed at about 20kph it was liking hitting a stretch of ice and down I went. Fortunately only a bit of road rash, a bruised hip and slight wrist sprain. More importantly, no damage to the bike. [emoji846]

50786129317_a2a345deb5_b.jpg  

50786027586_65ae1993db_b.jpg  

50786027906_7c08df2950_b.jpg  

50786128807_b1c74a5218_b.jpg  

Glad to hear you only suffered minor damage on your bike fall.

Thanks for the update on our block of land and I’ll talk to the finance minister about getting it trimmed. Land is for sale for 3 million baht if anyone is interested (subject to the finance ministers approval).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Glad to hear you only suffered minor damage on your bike fall.

Thanks for the update on our block of land and I’ll talk to the finance minister about getting it trimmed. Land is for sale for 3 million baht if anyone is interested (subject to the finance ministers approval).

Too bad it can no longer be advertised as lakeside property. :default_crybaby:

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, tommy dee said:

maprachan has been pumping water in this last month and actually doesnt look half as bad as it did. many islands gone again too

Are you sure they're pumping water into the reservoir. That would sound like a very inefficient way of providing water for the Pattaya area.

First you would have twice the energy expenditure for delivering the water to the Pattaya water distribution system; first pumping the water into the reservoir, then pumping it out again when needed.

There's also the loss of water in the reservoir through evaporation, seepage into the ground, and the considerable water uptake from all the weeds now growing in the reservoir basin.

I would think it would be much more efficient to let the reservoir level increase through normal storm runoff and in the meantime supply Pattaya's water needs directly through pipes from other sources.