Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

I hate being repetitive ...because I have said this before on many occasions .... more than once...some would say often....some might say too often .......  but without wanting to sound repetitious... I repeat... How would tourists have had a shower if tourism had continued unabated with f**k all water....??

There are of course alternatives for gogo shower shows but I leave that up to your own imaginations..

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Had a good chuckle when I saw your fence from a different angle this morning. Looks like a gate won't be needed after all. Not sure how that's going to keep them from dumping rubbish on your land. Is your land half the empty plot?

P9060026.jpg

Looks like they only did half a job. Do you mind if I show this photo to the wife?

16 hours ago, Freee!! said:

That will mess up things again on the water supply front as @Derek Dangleberriesalready pointed out.

Why?

We've had a severe drought over the last three years which has caused the water shortages. It looks to me from the rain we've been getting this year, not to mention the water levels in the two reservoirs, that the drought has ended so it's OK on the water supply front for large-scale tourism to resume. On top of which they've laid new water mains from at least two lakes in the hills around Sattahip and Bang Saray to supply Pattaya, plus Mabprachan was also being topped-up by moving water in from yet another source, as pointed out several times in this topic. The city's got more water supply now than it's ever had.

3 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Why?

We've had a severe drought over the last three years which has caused the water shortages. It looks to me from the rain we've been getting this year, not to mention the water levels in the two reservoirs, that the drought has ended so it's OK on the water supply front for large-scale tourism to resume. On top of which they've laid new water mains from at least two lakes in the hills around Sattahip and Bang Saray to supply Pattaya, plus Mabprachan was also being topped-up by moving water in from yet another source, as pointed out several times in this topic. The city's got more water supply now than it's ever had.

I guess that you don't live in an area that had water rationing at a time when all hotels and condos were empty.

I do, although it had little effect on me because I have a large storage tank and live alone, but at times last year it was refilling at "trickling speed"..... with no tourists to compete with ...

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I guess that you don't live in an area that had water rationing at a time when all hotels and condos were empty.

I do, although it had little effect on me because I have a large storage tank and live alone, but at times last year it was refilling at "trickling speed"..... with no tourists to compete with ...

I believe the infrastructure projects @Toy Boy referred to were still under construction at that time. The topping up of Mabprachan from water sources to the north is also a recently completed project. There's a good chance that baring another severe draught, the water supply is probably adequate even with the return of the tourists and the filling of soapy tubs.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, forcebwithu said:

By all means, feel free to share the photo with your wife, and anyone else you care to. Looking forward to hearing what the workers have to say.

Apparently I am stupid and don't understand the Thai way of thinking.

It is the people who live on the right hand side of our property who are leaving rubbish on the land so a fence only needed to be built to keep them out. The property on the left hand side is owned by a doctor and he would not litter our land. I hope that is clear to all.

It is a bit after 5am where I live but after that explanation it may be time for a beer.

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Haha 3

On 9/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, forcebwithu said:

Mabprachan Reservoir is looking in better shape compared to anytime in the last couple of years.

P9060044.jpg

P9060053.jpg

P9060057.jpg

P9060062.jpg

Ongoing work on the park extension.
P9060068.jpg

P9060071.jpg

P9060072.jpg

P9060078.jpg

P9060081.jpg

P9060084.jpg

P9060085.jpg

P9060089.jpg

P9060095_stitch.jpg

P9060103.jpg

The only time I have seen Mabprachan Reservoir full was in the big flood of 2010 or 2011 I think.... Maybe with some more rain it could fill up again....

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

The only time I have seen Mabprachan Reservoir full was in the big flood of 2010 or 2011 I think.... Maybe with some more rain it could fill up again....

You're probably right about that. I only started keeping a photo record of Mabprachan in 2015. Prior to that I had a couple of photos I can no longer find from bike rides around the area when the water level reached the overflow openings at the dam. The current water level is getting close to that point this year. With about two months left in the rainy season, we may just see that happen again.

P9060053.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Rainfall has been good this year. First time in quite a few years the cumulative total is tracking the average.
Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.49 AM.JPG
source: http://www.pattayaweather.net/

I also see a website I bookmarked years earlier has been updated to show almost real time reservoir levels. For Mabprachan it's now at 103%.
Screen Shot 10-06-21 at 09.49 AM 001.JPG
source: http://www.thaiwater.net/water

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 7 months later...

Eight months since the last update, so about time I got out there again and checked the reservoir levels. No surprise with lack of tourists and a decent amount of rain the reservoirs are in great shape. First up, Huai Chak Nok Reservoir.

The side reservoir that was being used by a jet ski business is full, but no more jet ski business.
P5230023.JPG

The dredged out pond on the right is new. No idea what that is used for.
P5230027.JPG

P5230029.JPG

P5230030.JPG

P5230032.JPG

P5230044.JPG

The dogs were the smart ones. Those that bothered to open an eye probably had a good laugh at the stupid human passing by on a bike in the heat.
P5230047.JPG

P5230050.JPG

Overflow basin that's been dry for years.
P5230054.JPG

@thegrogmonster, your doctor neighbor has started on his mansion.
P5230068.JPG

P5230073.JPG

P5230074.JPG

P5230093.JPG

I'm hoping the work they're doing on the far shore will include a bike path. There was a time only a few years ago we could ride a dirt path along that shore on our mtn bikes.
P5230094.JPG

P5230095.JPG

P5230096.JPG

P5230097.JPG

P5230098.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

As usual, a great report on the status of the water levels. I was wondering when you were going to update and you did it. thank you for taking time for "another" professional and outstanding report, Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

According to this site Mabprachan is at 89% of capacity and Huai Chak Nok is at 70%. I'll get out and take some pics sometime in the next week or two.

image.pngimage.png

My Mrs. jogs around Mabprachan 6 evenings a week, and it is indeed very full at the moment, more water there than i have seen for many a year.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, SteveBC said:

My Mrs. jogs around Mabprachan 6 evenings a week, and it is indeed very full at the moment, more water there than i have seen for many a year.........

i trust not alone.  the lake around the wooded side, away from the road is still not lit nor safe and the bloke who attempted to rape the russian lady recently is, I think on bail./  PLS.. make sure she take extra care

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:28 AM, SteveBC said:

I walk about one tenth of Mabprachan once every year or 2 for the exercise....Got to stay in tip top shape...

Edited by fforest
  • Great Info 1
  • Haha 2