Shrinking Pattaya Reservoirs

forcebwithu

On 3/8/2020 at 9:59 AM, john luke said:

untitled-3518.jpg

untitled-3519.jpg

untitled-3521.jpg

Leakage of water on Beach Road.  Appears to be emanating from  somewhere under the footpath but see damage on bottom left hand side of photograph 3 where there is enough leaking water to damage the road surface.

Quite some time ago before UK water authorities got their act together there was quite a fuss about them failing to control water leaks and maintain the pipes and network.

A significant water leak in Naklua.

untitled-4360.jpg

5 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The soi I rent a house on near Klang and Sukhumvit has had no city water for two days now. Thank Buddha I have three, 1000 L tanks to hold me over until the city turns the water back on again.

And it's not even April yet.

Came home about 10pm last night and passed a fire dept water truck the next soi over filling water tanks for free. Unfortunately they never made it over to our soi, but a private truck was filling tanks for a small tip. Word from my lady is the water was paid for by Hollywood Pattaya as advertising for their venue, and a local politico looking to gain favor and votes in the next election. Smart thinking on both parties parts.

The truck ran out of water before it got to our house, so my lady stayed up until midnight to wait for the trucks return. Topped up our below ground tank and my rain water collection tank for a 200B tip. Might not have needed a top up on the rainwater tank as there's an 80% chance of rain today.

She asked the driver what's going on with the lack of city water, but he didn't know. Word on the soi is the fire dept truck personnel were asked the same question, but wouldn't answer the question. That's telling in itself. Govt is being tight lipped on the reality of the water situation.

In addition to tracking the shrinking of Pattaya reservoirs, looks like I have a new metric to track. Now four days without city water.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Came home about 10pm last night and passed a fire dept water truck the next soi over filling water tanks for free. Unfortunately they never made it over to our soi, but a private truck was filling tanks for a small tip. Word from my lady is the water was paid for by Hollywood Pattaya as advertising for their venue, and a local politico looking to gain favor and votes in the next election. Smart thinking on both parties parts.

The truck ran out of water before it got to our house, so my lady stayed up until midnight to wait for the trucks return. Topped up our below ground tank and my rain water collection tank for a 200B tip. Might not have needed a top up on the rainwater tank as there's an 80% chance of rain today.

She asked the driver what's going on with the lack of city water, but he didn't know. Word on the soi is the fire dept truck personnel were asked the same question, but wouldn't answer the question. That's telling in itself. Govt is being tight lipped on the reality of the water situation.

In addition to tracking the shrinking of Pattaya reservoirs, looks like I have a new metric to track. Now four days without city water.

I heard a large condo block up your way ran out of water yesterday...

20 minutes ago, Painter said:

I heard a large condo block up your way ran out of water yesterday...

I haven't heard anything, but not surprised if they have run out. Spanish Condo or Nirun maybe? 

Talking to friends about the water situation and they say they're doing fine and have no problems. But they live in condos, so I pointed out they wouldn't know there was a problem until the condo tanks ran dry. I wouldn't know either, except I now have the access panel to the underground tank propped open so I can check to see if there's any city water trickling into the tank.

much of the city is the same.  our studios have a tank on the roof, and bins in the bogs.  i think some water comes on for a few hours as i usually find thew taps work around 6am, but by 10 is all gone on the top floor, and 12 the downstairs too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Painter said:

Yup.... one of those. I'd rather not say which....

Talked to a friend just now that lives at one of those two and he said he still had water. Why not publicise which one ran out? Doubt very much they're the only one in the city.

28 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Y'all can thank me for the rain. Filled the rainwater collection tank last night from the water truck, so no surprise it's raining buckets of water 12 hours later.

P3150001.jpg

Probably a silly question but is that tank plumbed into your house and do you use it for washing, shower etc ?

2 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Probably a silly question but is that tank plumbed into your house and do you use it for washing, shower etc ?

Not plumbed into the house supply. Water isn't clean enough. Only use it for watering the garden.

edit to add: Suppose if I invested in a good filter it could be used for the house supply, but my lady's garden is big enough I'm happy enough to leave that tank dedicated to keeping her many plants alive.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thumbs Up 1

actually the watyer from the trucks is cleaner than city water.  the PH is around 6, which is better and the other measurements are better too, 450 as opposed to 950.  i only know thuis cos i refilled pools and tested the water as it was delivered to see what it needed.

city water right now isnt the best.  ok for showers and washing but not drinking for sure

The Eastern Water Resources dept Weekly Water Situation report for the week ending 13 March is now online (link). Consumption is up from the week before at 4.7 million cubic meters (MCM) for the week. There is now 19 MCM of usable water left in the reservoirs. Using an avg consumption of 4 MCM/week, that gives us about 5 weeks of water left. We're still on track to run dry sometime before 17 April.

BTW, after yesterday's rain the city water supply was again running to my house.

Screen Shot 03-16-20 at 02.50 PM.JPG

Screen Shot 03-16-20 at 02.49 PM.JPG

A couple of reservoir photo updates today. First up is Huai Chak Nok Reservoir. The Google Earth screenshot gives you a sense of how much the water level has dropped by the progression of the water's edge waypoints over time.
49668633586_3e5b605f41_b.jpg

Pic 01: Small holding pond on the western side of the reservoir with its own pumping station.
49668071653_8411766cae_b.jpg

Pic 02
49668071613_e3737fca69_b.jpg

Pic 03: New since the last update on 15 February is a floating pump house. Probably needed to extend the business end of the pump out into deeper water.
49668615976_f8d6b3287f_b.jpg

49668072108_65009f40d7_b.jpg

That pump feeds a small retaining pond on the other side of the dam.
49668615921_3b0cfb7295_b.jpg

Pic 04: The approaching shoreline is about to overrun the overflow structure.
49668072048_59116f59aa_b.jpg

49668899072_e9e6164c75_b.jpg

Water Edge as of 17 Mar, 2020
49668071993_9cde88b059_b.jpg

Same spot one month ago on 15 February.
49537429107_bf3037ab7a_b.jpg

Pic 05
49668615626_ceaa1fbf6a_b.jpg

49668899062_acf5b6801e_b.jpg

Pic 06
49668899042_a462413976_b.jpg

49668615596_c17e9337a6_b.jpg