Are we looking forward to winter in our home country?

Aqualung

It's only mid November here in the UK and the temperature is starting to dip towards zero degrees most nights. 

Absolutely fckin hate it as I get older as the cold seems to get into my bones and no matter how much I turn up the heating system I still feel cold on the inside. 

No doubt if snow arrives the country will come to a standstill  schools closed etc etc. But hey! We have Christmas to look forward to, do we not? 

If there anytime of year I want out of the UK it is Christmas. Bah humbug! 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My GP back in the UK is a bit dubious about me spending so much time in Thailand. I told him that it's a much healthier option, there's no flu season out here, I swim every day, work in the garden, do a lot of walking and spend hours every day out of doors. Heck, I honestly can't even remember when the last time I had a cold was, it was so many years ago. If I was back in Britain I'd be huddling next to a radiator, not getting any exercise, and probably nursing a bottle of something very alcoholic to keep me warm. You don't need to be a doctor to know which is the healthier option, and your family doctor is supposed to have your health and well-being as his number-one priority.

He's swallowed the argument thus far, anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't mind the winter but it also happens to be the best time of year to visit Thailand as far as the weather goes. 

What's proper torture is returning in January when its -10 outside so this year we plan on leaving just after Xmas and returning mid Feb, hopefully avoiding the coldest days of the year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The only thing mine said to me was always use a condom, the HIV rate in Thailand was very high lol

We were lucky we moved out here when we did, at least we could afford to have sex back in those days. With the strong Baht nowadays I think I'd be more inclined to spend my holiday visiting temples rather than trying to persuade an 18 year old Gogo dancer to have a shag for 1500 Baht.

• Haha 5

First November in about 15 years that I haven't travelled in November/December and can honestly say I'm looking forward to it.

Went to the races yesterday was out in the "cold" it was 41 degrees with a bit of wind, for around 5 hours with odd coffee and betting break indoors. Really enjoyed it, had forgotten that feeling at the end of cold day outdoors finding a nice warm pub to sit in 😀

Knocking in 5 winners may though have clouded my judgement on how pleasant winter in the UK is 🤔

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

i guess thailand is my home country now.  and the evenings are amazing now, i actually sleep outside on the porch inside screens and its perfect.  ( my choice).. Feb mymother will be 90 and I will fly yo my mother country, not lookin forward to that.  above all else, she set the thermostat at 15 and thinks thats hot.  may need animal skins and alcohol to keep warm

• Like 1

My sisters boyfriends parents had a cottage between Gällivare and the finish border near Kiruna in northern Sweden about 200 km north of the polar circle. Used to head up there either between christmas and newyear or first week in january. Depite no sunlight, there wasn't complete darkness, more like a 4-5 hour long twillight with a purple and orange sky. Sometimes northern lights.

I miss it.

11 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Guess being a bit spoiled here in Calif, never any "real winter" here at all in the bay area. Gets a bit cold at night, but daytime temps here are still 75 degrees right now.

I do not miss the year around miserable heat/humidity in Thailand at all. 

not like that every place thailand & now in esan may be cooler in morning than calif.

Winter is a distant memory of several weeks ago. 

We have bushfires on both sides of the country, it has been a pleasant 30C most days, although I did not enjoy the 40C the other day.  There will barbies and general gathering over the next few months to enjoy without the rain and cold. 

I do not do cold very well, so do not look forward to winter.

As one who lives north of the 60th parallel, I have no desire to spend another whole winter in that part of the world and as long as I am financially and physically able to do so, I will be absent for at least the months of December and January, and Xmas be damned....it's not so much the cold, which in my part of the north is rather dry and not nearly as bone-chilling at moderate temperatures as that experienced by those living in more humid climates - such as the UK and our own coastal areas in Canada - but it's the dark AND the cold that really gets to me -  it's having to commute in that dark and the cold with the nervous drivers amongst us holding up everyone else because they are scared shitless as soon as the first snowflake falls; it's having things break on your vehicle in the cold just when you least need to deal with something like that; it's going out every day for seemingly days on end to clear snow off your walks and driveways; and it's also having to live in a virtual police state in the "holiday" season when the local Gestapo have check stops all over the place to make sure we don't have too much fun...nah, you can have the "white winters", I am heartily sick of them and am happy to be back in Pattaya again for the duration of this one....

• Like 5