How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Horizondave

62 secrets you never knew about flying

was half into that, got to the bad air in the cabin then a shit load of stupid ads.  but interesting cheers

I got as far as this one & gave up....total bollocks:

There's a reason you almost always enter/exit on the left

There are a couple of potential reasons why people usually enter and exit on the left side of the plane. Firstly the luggage hold and the fuel tank are (mostly) on the right side, so keeping passenger activity to the left reduces the risk of injury. But some believe this pattern is actually linked to nautical history. A ship’s port would always be on the left and so it's thought that aircraft designers followed this same format. 

More 50% bollocks.

Air on top of the wings creates lift, not the air below

Founder of Stratajet and former commercial pilot Jonny Nicol says planes stay up by creating lift with their wings. "What causes lift is introducing a shape [the plane] into the airflow, this curves the streamlines and introduces pressure changes. The lower pressure on the upper surface [of the wings] and higher pressure on the lower surface creates lift.”

The primary conflict about how lift is created centers on two white-wig-wearing historical figures—Sir Isaac
Newton (1642-1727) and Dr. Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782). Those who prefer Newton’s ideas (i.e., Newtonian
lift) believe that air is forced downward behind the wing. Simultaneously, the wing is forced upward with the
famous “equal and opposite reaction” described in Newton’s third law. Then there are those who favor
Bernoulli’s celebrated principle that as airflow accelerates, the static pressure within the airflow drops. We all
know that the air flows faster over the top of the wing than the bottom. Bernoulli’s equation therefore
concludes that the wing gets “sucked” upward by the reduced pressure.

All right, so you’re tired of the guys at the hangar making fun of you for preferring one theory over another. Off
you go to prove them wrong. You pull out the classic Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche and
quickly find the statement “forget Bernoulli’s theorem.” Still unsatisfied, you reach for Aerodynamics for Naval
Aviators. There you find nothing but Bernoulli and something called “circulation.” You find much of the same
while inspecting Aerodynamics for Engineers by John Bertin and the more readable Illustrated Guide to
Aerodynamics by Skip Smith. In fact, Newton isn’t even mentioned during the lift discussion in the latter book.
To add more fuel to the fire, prestigious academic institutions seem to favor one theory over another. Portions
of Harvard’s and Princeton’s Websites discuss Bernoulli as though his ideas are the only ones available.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/bernoulli-or-newton-whos-right-about-lift/

• Great Info 1

Well as I said a bit of fun which maybe hasn't reached a desired audience, oh back to reading about 10 new posts a day and starting to wonder why Krapow has given up.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Well as I said a bit of fun which maybe hasn't reached a desired audience, oh back to reading about 10 new posts a day and starting to wonder why Krapow has given up.

Well its got 3 replies in pretty short time lol

Edited by Pumpuynarak

15 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Exactly. It's posts that make the board go round.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

More 50% bollocks.

Founder of Stratajet and former commercial pilot Jonny Nicol says planes stay up by creating lift with their wings. "What causes lift is introducing a shape [the plane] into the airflow, this curves the streamlines and introduces pressure changes. The lower pressure on the upper surface [of the wings] and higher pressure on the lower surface creates lift.”

The primary conflict about how lift is created centers on two white-wig-wearing historical figures—Sir Isaac
Newton (1642-1727) and Dr. Daniel Bernoulli (1700-1782). Those who prefer Newton’s ideas (i.e., Newtonian
lift) believe that air is forced downward behind the wing. Simultaneously, the wing is forced upward with the
famous “equal and opposite reaction” described in Newton’s third law. Then there are those who favor
Bernoulli’s celebrated principle that as airflow accelerates, the static pressure within the airflow drops. We all
know that the air flows faster over the top of the wing than the bottom. Bernoulli’s equation therefore

All right, so you’re tired of the guys at the hangar making fun of you for preferring one theory over another. Off
you go to prove them wrong. You pull out the classic Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche and
quickly find the statement “forget Bernoulli’s theorem.” Still unsatisfied, you reach for Aerodynamics for Naval
Aviators. There you find nothing but Bernoulli and something called “circulation.” You find much of the same
while inspecting Aerodynamics for Engineers by John Bertin and the more readable Illustrated Guide to
Aerodynamics by Skip Smith. In fact, Newton isn’t even mentioned during the lift discussion in the latter book.
To add more fuel to the fire, prestigious academic institutions seem to favor one theory over another. Portions
of Harvard’s and Princeton’s Websites discuss Bernoulli as though his ideas are the only ones available.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/bernoulli-or-newton-whos-right-about-lift/

This was the required reading when I took my licence exams,don't ask me anything about it as it was a long time ago & was one of those things you have to learn & then never,ever use.

Hopefully aircraft designers remember it but all I ever did was fix the fucking things.

Basically the shape of a wing gives you lift in much the same way as a helicopter rotor does, and the blades in a jet engine and the blades of a propeller generate thrust.I do remember having to learn Bernoulli's theorem when doing engine theory.

And it all goes pear shaped when you go supersonic,had to learn all that shit for only one reason - Concorde was on the civil register.

mof.jpg

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I got as far as this one & gave up....total bollocks:

There's a reason you almost always enter/exit on the left

There are a couple of potential reasons why people usually enter and exit on the left side of the plane. Firstly the luggage hold and the fuel tank are (mostly) on the right side, so keeping passenger activity to the left reduces the risk of injury. But some believe this pattern is actually linked to nautical history. A ship’s port would always be on the left and so it's thought that aircraft designers followed this same format. 

Having the luggage & the fuel on the right side would surely make the thing fly around in circles & eventually disappear up its own orifice?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well the replies didn't inspire me to put any effort into posting much more in the future, reminds me of the reason why I stopped posting on Secrets.................a bit of deja vu for me presently......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Well the replies didn't inspire me to put any effort into posting much more in the future, reminds me of the reason why I stopped posting on Secrets.................a bit of deja vu for me presently......

dave, your posts are ully A1 mate but  you got genuine opinions not kiss arse replies.  i thought i was interesting to start with but its the same clicbait style post that sky new uses.. designed to get you, then get you off course into the ads, sorry mate.  as to the content, on its own it was readable.  dont take offence, the gate will be useless without it :)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess George Harrison was right "All things must pass"  Don't worry about it HD, my last TR/Pics that had sports in it, which I thought most guys liked, got no replies at all. Tough crowd these days on forums, it's not just this one either.  Got invited to a " blog" which I thought was past its prime these days, geez was I wrong, the pics/stories from all over the world are just amazing. One guy has already told me he will pay me to be his " tour guide" in Thailand as he has never been there. He is from Hawaii. Talk about some beautiful Hawaiian women he has photographed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Where is secret number 63: How to find the right cabinwhore to give you a mile high bj?🙃

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Basically the shape of a wing gives you lift in much the same way as a helicopter rotor does, and the blades in a jet engine and the blades of a propeller generate thrust.I do remember having to learn Bernoulli's theorem when doing engine theory.

I remember back in school drawing aerofoils with curved tops and flat bottoms to explain how an aircraft wing developed lift. (Bernoulli).

Then you see something like

IMG_0505.jpg

symmetrical profile either side of the chord line and yet it flies when you pull pitch. (Newton).

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, fygjam said:

More 50% bollocks.

9 hours ago, coxyhog said:

This was the required reading when I took my licence exams,don't ask me anything about it as it was a long time ago & was one of those things you have to learn & then never,ever use.

Hopefully aircraft designers remember it but all I ever did was fix the fucking things.

And it all goes pear shaped when you go supersonic,had to learn all that shit for only one reason - Concorde was on the civil register.

mof.jpg

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

I remember back in school drawing aerofoils with curved tops and flat bottoms to explain how an aircraft wing developed lift. (Bernoulli).

Then you see something like

IMG_0505.jpg

symmetrical profile either side of the chord line and yet it flies when you pull pitch. (Newton).

Ahh the memories of my apprenticeship and "Theory of Flight" 😀 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fygjam said:

Exactly. It's posts that make the board go round.

BINGO, some i like some i don't, some i find interesting some i don't but a Topic/Post is always welcome whatever........

This board and its boardies have been extremely informative/helpful to me and no doubt others,  long may that continue. I find it helps to not be too sensitive on forums as you will always find the gutless cowardly wanker keyboard warriors who would never say to your face what they post otherwise they'll find themselves on their ass and they know it, sad sad people.

Just sayin like 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Knocking back Secrets and posting on PL? You're here now and this thread surprises you? Come on give me a break.

9 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

Knocking back Secrets and posting on PL? You're here now and this thread surprises you? Come on give me a break.

Who is posting on PL, I haven't been on that forum for over a year, what you on about.

Also when I signed on here last year it was called 247, that was the breath of fresh air I needed to get away from Secrets and PL, how that has changed and comments like yours are the reason I am probably checking out of here as this forum really has been taken over by the Secrets crap I left behind. If only Secrets had never closed, this place would still be worthwhile visiting.

• Thumbs Up 3

46 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Who is posting on PL, I haven't been on that forum for over a year, what you on about.

Also when I signed on here last year it was called 247, that was the breath of fresh air I needed to get away from Secrets and PL, how that has changed and comments like yours are the reason I am probably checking out of here as this forum really has been taken over by the Secrets crap I left behind. If only Secrets had never closed, this place would still be worthwhile visiting.

Mate.... don't check out... many appreciate your input as can be seen.

The bit I highlighted in your post.... I agree with you and it is about time a few moved on.... the place is gone..... has been for awhile now.... time all got over it for goodness sake.

True what you say.... 247 was started and was/is a breathe of fresh air.... it was explained what the forum was about and that is why we signed up for and as can be seen.... the forum has grown since then.

Most past members have moved on from Secrets... but a few core members still seem to want to resurrect it here for whatever reason...as said.. time they moved on.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Surprised 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

... this forum really has been taken over by the Secrets crap I left behind. 

Dave 

I'm not seeing what you are seeing! 

Could you explain what you mean by "Secrets crap", please. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

Sign in to follow this